LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Shift Stop

Doesn't appear so, however you can expect the same results. Nice positive stop on the left in 1st and 2nd. Its really as simple as that. Measuring the play you have would help identify the potential improvement.

At the end of the day its a super easy bolt on mod that takes very little effort, doesn'tcost that much and results in real, tangible results that you feel every time you drive. It is nowhere near as much improvement as the brass bushing, however.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok finally got around to installing mine on the factory sti sts. Im kind of disappointed. The 1-2 gap isnt as tight as the 5-6 with moving over the stock part. 3-4 also improved with the 2 washers. Interested in seeing how others with the sti sts reactions are.

I need to do some more investigating to make sure i have the sts like i was told.

Edit: Ok so after driving my car to work this morning, i change my mind on the change from this part. It is a great improvement. I think I have the 5-6 a little tighter than perrin suggests and i tightened 3-4 with the washer a little more than they suggest also. 3-4/5-6 have very little play (i love this, feels more gated but also able to engage without a problem) and 1-2 has a little bit of play - probably the 1/8" like they suggest. I wish perrin made the slides for their part a little longer to make the movement less.

Someone should buy a stock part from the 5-6 side and try it on the 1-2 side. Hmmm. I need to find the part number from subaru and see how much it is

Just installed mine last night: Stock shifter w/ perrin brass bushing

Outcome: I didn't measure "slop" before or after because quite frankly I don't care. What I do care about is the enormous improvement in how solid it feels when you select 1st or 2nd gear. I noticed no real change in 3&4 and a minimal amount in 5&6.

This has no performance gains (fact) and really doesn't make shifts any more accurate or easier than they were before (IMO). However, it feels solid now (mostly in 1st, 2nd). For ~$50 i am happy with the purchase and would buy it again.

Ok finally got around to installing mine on the factory sti sts. Im kind of disappointed. The 1-2 gap isnt as tight as the 5-6 with moving over the stock part. 3-4 also improved with the 2 washers. Interested in seeing how others with the sti sts reactions are.

I need to do some more investigating to make sure i have the sts like i was told.

Edit: Ok so after driving my car to work this morning, i change my mind on the change from this part. It is a great improvement. I think I have the 5-6 a little tighter than perrin suggests and i tightened 3-4 with the washer a little more than they suggest also. 3-4/5-6 have very little play (i love this, feels more gated but also able to engage without a problem) and 1-2 has a little bit of play - probably the 1/8" like they suggest. I wish perrin made the slides for their part a little longer to make the movement less.

Someone should buy a stock part from the 5-6 side and try it on the 1-2 side. Hmmm. I need to find the part number from subaru and see how much it is

I assume you had to move it all the way in, like I did. I am guessing the WRX shifter has a fatter plastic piece on the lever that requires the stop to be moved out further. Either that or its longer throw right to left and 1st is actually further to the left.

You could buy a small piece of 1/8 inch plate aluminum and jbweld/epoxy it onto the face of the Perrin shift stop to achieve the same thing.

Just a thought.

I assume you had to move it all the way in, like I did. I am guessing the WRX shifter has a fatter plastic piece on the lever that requires the stop to be moved out further. Either that or its longer throw right to left and 1st is actually further to the left.

You could buy a small piece of 1/8 inch plate aluminum and jbweld/epoxy it onto the face of the Perrin shift stop to achieve the same thing.

Just a thought.

Yep I moved it all the way over. I am going to see if i can get the part nunber for the stock part on the 5-6 side and see if that will get it closer than the perrin. At least it might be a cheaper alternative

• 2 weeks later...
I have the legacy sti sts installed from factory, going to order on payday, already did the trans bushing and shifter brass bushing, this should hopefully clean up some more slop.

Trans bushing? (scampers away to internet)

I installed mine today on my factory installed STI STS. Haven't gotten a chance to take it for a spin, but i can definitely feel a bit of improvement :)

However, I do notice that when I slide over to 1st/2nd gear with any amount of force it will force the reverse lock upwards and allow the shifter to slide over more than the Perrin Stop allows (not much of a big deal). I guess I am a little too rough with my gears? :lol:

However, I do notice that when I slide over to 1st/2nd gear with any amount of force it will force the reverse lock upwards and allow the shifter to slide over more than the Perrin Stop allows (not much of a big deal). I guess I am a little too rough with my gears? :lol:

I'd say a little more than too rough

I'd say a little more than too rough

After putting a few hundred miles on the install I have to disagree that I am being too rough. I am surprised that no one else has run into this. It is clear that the right side of the shifter is vertically flat, and the right side is slanted; causing the issue when pushed to the left vs right. I'll shoot a message to Perrin to see if they have had reports. Like I said, it is not a huge deal, but more of an annoyance.

@g5GT but why are you pushing the shifter up against it? once your shifter has gotten to it there should be no reason to force it further to the left, the 1/2 gate should be right in front of your shifter if it's designed and installed properly.

@GTEASER do you know of any difference between the 2015 WRX STS and the STI STS that came with my '12? apparently neither of them are a very short throw. but and idea of about additional slushiness in one versus the other?

@g5GT but why are you pushing the shifter up against it? once your shifter has gotten to it there should be no reason to force it further to the left, the 1/2 gate should be right in front of your shifter if it's designed and installed properly.

I am not trying to come off as an @$$, but after putting some mileage on the install I've noticed that the slightest touch will cause the reverse lockout lever to rise, and I am pretty sure that it is designed to be pressed up against as a reference point - it is a shift stop :lol: Part of the installation instructions have you wiggle the shifter an 1/8th inch to create a slight gap between 1st/2nd gate and 5th/6th after you have the shifter touching. If you can have your car in neutral and shift directly into 1st without hitting the stop then I admire you.

On any note, I have spoken to Perrin Support and they took a look at my video clip. He stated that had heard of this before and they are working on it.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't suppose you've heard anything back from them on this, have you?

Hi there,

No I have not heard anything yet. I'll follow up in a few weeks. Since this 'defect' (if you want to call it that) has no impact on functionality I assume it will be treated more of an 'enhancement' request, but we shall see :)

-Seth

That's sort of how I figured they'd treat it. Thanks for looking in to it, much appreciated.

One thing I thought of last night while I was trying to fall asleep was that maybe this issue could be fixed/reduced by sticking a couple flat washers between the factory 5-6 stop and the Perrin 1-2 stop. Without having actually pulled the boot off or installed the stop myself, my guess is that the stop is catching the lockout lever right at the bottom and sneaking under it. If that's actually the case, a couple washers (and maybe some longer screws to match) would lift the stop high enough that it wouldn't catch the edge the same way. A shim of some sort cut out of 1/8"-ish sheet stock would probably be better, but the washers would be a good way to test.

Once mine shows up, I'll probably end up drawing something up to make on the 3D printer (because why not), but I think steel or aluminum would be the better call in the long run.

That's sort of how I figured they'd treat it. Thanks for looking in to it, much appreciated.

One thing I thought of last night while I was trying to fall asleep was that maybe this issue could be fixed/reduced by sticking a couple flat washers between the factory 5-6 stop and the Perrin 1-2 stop. Without having actually pulled the boot off or installed the stop myself, my guess is that the stop is catching the lockout lever right at the bottom and sneaking under it. If that's actually the case, a couple washers (and maybe some longer screws to match) would lift the stop high enough that it wouldn't catch the edge the same way. A shim of some sort cut out of 1/8"-ish sheet stock would probably be better, but the washers would be a good way to test.

Once mine shows up, I'll probably end up drawing something up to make on the 3D printer (because why not), but I think steel or aluminum would be the better call in the long run.

Nice! One thing I remember (it's been a few weeks) is that the Perrin Stop, unlike the factory stop to the right of 5/6, is slanted. The factory stop is vertical. Also, the right side of the lockout lever is also flat, whereas the let is angled.

Nice! One thing I remember (it's been a few weeks) is that the Perrin Stop, unlike the factory stop to the right of 5/6, is slanted. The factory stop is vertical. Also, the right side of the lockout lever is also flat, whereas the let is angled.

That makes sense (to me, anyway), a difference in angle between the two would probably make things worse. I can't really tell much about the lockout lever on the WRX shifter from the installation instructions, but I'd think the Perrin stop probably matches up with whatever angle may or may not be there.

I'm not going to be able to do anything but speculate until I actually pull things apart, though, so I guess I'll wait and see.

Archived