LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of surprised you had a boost leak big enough to cost you half your power output but a pressure test didn't find it. :eek: Not the first time I've heard of a leak at the turbo outlet flange though. Tomioka turbos often have this issue, flange not flat. Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^This was puzzling to me as well. Essentially the only things we did were the new gasket, BOV O-ring, new plugs, and the TGV delete. Certainly the most impactful of those was the boost leak resolution, but I should clarify that I haven't quantified the power improvement via dyno or Virtual Dyno at this point, though I will be grabbing more datalogs hopefully today.

I could be mistaken that 100% of the power has been restored but just based on how it pulls, it is much, much closer to what it should have been.

Congratulations on finally resolving the issue. I must agree with the others though. I am sooo going to miss this thread.

Much appreciated! But not to worry, I will keep tinkering and inevitably the thread will continue to grow!

In preparation for potential future plans, I wanted to get peoples input on what cams they have used for those who have upgraded. If I am understanding correctly, the '08+ STi cams will work as a direct drop-in because they also have the slot machined in for the oil scavenge pump, correct? Are there any other options people have used?

Any luck with the WRX?

Haha! Yes, thank you for reminding me! We lined up and I let her get a jump of maybe 2 car lengths, then I nailed it. She had this awesome look of surprise when I went past and then a smile and a middle finger for me when she was in the rear view. It was quite fine [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much appreciated! But not to worry, I will keep tinkering and inevitably the thread will continue to grow!

In preparation for potential future plans, I wanted to get peoples input on what cams they have used for those who have upgraded. If I am understanding correctly, the '08+ STi cams will work as a direct drop-in because they also have the slot machined in for the oil scavenge pump, correct? Are there any other options people have used?

I thought that they had to be machined to fit the scavenge pump. I could be totally wrong on this though. Mike from infamous would know for sure.

I thought that they had to be machined to fit the scavenge pump. I could be totally wrong on this though. Mike from infamous would know for sure.

They do not have the slot. Mike was working on a jig for machining the cams consistently so that we can use them. The added lift and duration would be very helpful for the respiration of our engines. My understanding is that it's only the exhaust cams that are different, but I could be wrong.

I think I'm the only one running aftermarket cams. GSC stage 1, the slot had to be machined in to work. Swanne has the 08+ sti cams iirc that Mike helped him with on his build, he'd be worth shooting a pm too.

Im not positive if anyone else is to giv e you others to ask

Only the exhaust cam profile is different from other EJ255 / 257 engines. The valve springs are also different from the STi items. '08~ STi cams drop straight in. The drive slot for the oil pump is on the passenger side intake cam only and is also present on later STi cams. We had compared the GRB and BR9 intake cams and they appear identical, and lift is measured as identical.

Sent from a device using some software.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Anyone know our stock profile's?.. Just looked up mine and they're as follows

Dual AVCS Stage 1 Cam Specs:

Intake 266 / 225 @ .040" / Peak Lift 10.7MM / Centerline AVCS

Exhaust 264 / 222 @ .040" / Peak Lift 10.4mm / Centerline AVCS

AFAIK the stock bump sticks are both in the 250-something range. The FSM only publishes lobe height and base circle from which we know the valve lift.

Sent from a device using some software.

I'm glad the cam discussion was brought up, would it be worth getting new exhaust cams before upgrading the turbo?

I'm sure it would add some power even on the stock turbo, but to be sure the stock cams really hold the bigger turbos back. Look at how much torque S2baru picked up adding cams to his set-up. I doubt you would get quite that much on the stock turbo but you'd certainly get something. Would it be worth dropping the motor for? That's another question. If I had the motor out of a BR9 for any reason at all I'd be grabbing that opportunity to swap those exhaust cams while I was at it with both hands.

I thought long and hard about doing the cams when my motor was out. I just could not find any real definitive info on them. Not enough to make a decision anyway. I was worried about smog too. After reading this I may be regretting that decision. At least it is super easy to pull the motor if I change my mind.