LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I'm not sure if it partially scews my results is +1 intake/exhaust valves as well. Get more fuel/air in and out to get that turbo workin

That for sure is making a significant difference, especially with the lumpier cams. Bigger valves, coupled with a bigger cam on my 240z was a huge bump in power, especially in the mid to upper rpm range.

if you do this it would probably be worth it to do the valve springs as well and TGV deletes if you didn't before. Crap my list of "maintenance" is getting long and expensive lol.

The valve springs are cheap insurance and you 6MT guys will want the extra rpm headroom, especially if you are going up to the bigger turbos. More lift and duration is more valvetrain acceleration. We had the springs available to us when the GRB cams went in, so it seemed dumb not to use them. In the end, the changes we made to the Requested Torque tables that keep the 5EAT alive at 50kgm torque also moved the shift points higher than expected in S# in the lower gears, so it was really good we used the GRB springs. I doubt the stock ones would have been happy at close to 7,000rpm!

S2baru, I have to be honest mate and say I've never seen definitive proof going up 1mm in valve head diameter makes any difference to overall flow. A good port job, yes. The valves alone, no. That's not to say it doesn't help, I just haven't seen good data that says it does.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My friend and I had one more rematch today at lunch because now she was 'ready'. Similar results as last time and much fun all around. We even snagged a guy in a Focus ST who joined in the shenanigans.

All said and done, it was just ebony and ivory, well, you know....

1687681725_2015-12-0412_55_07.thumb.jpg.74531d5e5165547adf5b23c07214e3d6.jpg

My friend and I had one more rematch today at lunch because now she was 'ready'. Similar results as last time and much fun all around. We even snagged a guy in a Focus ST who joined in the shenanigans.

All said and done, it was just ebony and ivory, well, you know....

Silly Ford! Lol!

Don't call them all silly....the SHO can hurt some feelings real quick...

If the SHO weighed a little less, I would have more strongly considered it when I was car shopping in 2012. Having said that, I probably would have ended up trying to get one if the Legacy didn't end up being as good as it was. Just shows how limited selection is for decent family-friendly, AWD sedans with a bit of umph and a reasonable price.

So another update - car felt down on power again and I had it boost-tested today. Boost leak! I haven't seen it yet but the guy is telling me it seems to be leaking from the compressor housing. I know this is vague but so I can start preparing, what seals the compressor housing to the rest of the turbo? Is there an O-ring or a gasket or maybe some Silly Putty?

Boost leak! ... it seems to be leaking from the compressor housing.

The same thing happened on a Tomioka hybrid turbo a friend of mine tuned.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The same thing happened on a Tomioka hybrid turbo a friend of mine tuned.

I wonder if the tolerances on that gland are getting a little out of whack on these upgraded turbos. Speaking to Bryan yesterday, he indicated that he may have let a few of the VF54 upgrade glands drift on size and it could have been slightly oversized.

That's gotta be a silicone o-ring in there because of the operating temperature, right? I'll bet with as soft as those are, they aren't real happy about being pushed around in an oversized gland. Not like you can shore that up with a backup ring either, I suppose.

Yep, I opted for silicone. Viton may also work but silicon has a broader temp range on both the high and low end. I suspect that with my prolonged previous boost leak, I was certainly stressing the turbo more and generating more heat which probably didn't help the life of that last O-ring. Edited by jackal8788

AFAIK they are NBR. None of the hybrids we've built have had these issues, but they are built from new overstock units not used ones. It could just be the o-rings compress a little and don't seal well on second use.

Has anyone else used this specific gasket between the compressor outlet and the charge pipe? I currently have a diamond shaped paper gasket that seems much more appropriate but this is the actual part that Subaru calls out between those two components. Just want to see that at least someone else has used this successfully.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/a1b6e752dbfb66ce2ac4929a53922c27.jpg

Edited by jackal8788

All but a few of the cars I've tuned use that one, and hold 20psi no issue. The exceptions are the few with metal charge pipes that use a paper gasket. The people who made those did not see fit to add a groove for the o-ring seal.