LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - Ignition Timing will be 'Total Timing' (all additives, knock control and compensations, etc.)

You should also be able to find and log: Learned Timing, Learned Timing Correction.

Not sure how they would help though.

The issue you're having, especially knowing everything we now know - is very odd.

The issue you're having, especially knowing everything we now know - is very odd.

Tell me about it. I even posted in the 4th gen forum to see if any other thoughts surfaced. If the TGVs don't fix it (which I'm feeling will be the case), I don't really have a direction to go after that....

I would think if it were the ecu the symptoms would show up in the timing, throttle, or many other sensor inputs. According to Jackal's logs everything appears to be responding as it should except the power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What about a binding or otherwise faulty Viscous Coupling. If that's even possible.

Or what about a bad ABS wheel sensor making your stability control intervene during normal acceleration. Try turning off stability and traction control and or unplug wheel speed sensors.

What about a binding or otherwise faulty Viscous Coupling. If that's even possible.

Or what about a bad ABS wheel sensor making your stability control intervene during normal acceleration. Try turning off stability and traction control and or unplug wheel speed sensors.

I will also check this when I get it back together. From what I remember when the stability control was active, it seemed fairly noticeable that the system was intervening and I haven't observed anything like that under acceleration. The car just has kind of a 'hollow' feel. The exhaust note is there but it just doesn't have any push behind it.

Maybe it's time to do a hot engine compression test. And take an oil sample to send to Blackstone to look for fuel in the oil.

That is exactly what I'm planning. I really need to see numbers that can be compared more easily to what people can relate to here. That will immediately follow my drive after the TGV delete and maybe provide some insight.

Good call on the oil analysis too. Unfortunately, I was changing it at the same time that I did the plugs and initial compression test....

The car just has kind of a 'hollow' feel. The exhaust note is there but it just doesn't have any push behind it.

Exactly. Say.. in theory if you removed one of your axles. That non-existent axel would receive all the power on that differential, however your VC would be working overtime to try and put half of it to the other end of the car.

You would probably lose about 60+ percent of the "go" and bake the shite out of the VC fluid. It would be like riding the clutch but without the smell. Obviously you are not missing an axle, but something internally broken or slipping in the center diff.. dunno.. just theorizing.

Maybe someone with experience breaking a half-shaft would know better what that feels like. Maybe the VC LSD wouldn't hold that well.. I have no idea.

Regarding wheel sensors - I bring that up because it would only affect you on acceleration if the traction control was kicking in especially just modestly, since that is throttle modulated in combination with braking.

These are my theories down the logic stream of "It's not the engine, it's something after the engine".

^ That's a really interesting point. I have no idea either what it would feel like or how the car would respond. It seems as smooth as it always has but maybe there wouldn't be any noticeable roughness if something was broken or slipping....

Thoughts from anyone who has had a broken axle or maybe something less major that might still cause a perceived loss of power?

You know I remember reading a post about a guy with a 3.6 outback or tribeca that had a rear shaft not seated correctly and it would act like it had no power. I will try to find the thread.

Edit although I am pretty sure the ecm would read this as a spinning wheel and kill power while flashing the tc light at you.

Edited by FLlegacy

You know I remember reading a post about a guy with a 3.6 outback or tribeca that had a rear shaft not seated correctly and it would act like it had no power. I will try to find the thread.

Edit although I am pretty sure the ecm would read this as a spinning wheel and kill power while flashing the tc light at you.

The ECU wouldn't have a clue. The wheel is still on the ground and turning the proper speed.

The ECU doesn't do anything about the relative wheel speed compared to the output shaft speed, only relative to each other.

If this is in fact the case, then your speedo would be off compared to actual vehicle speed. Edit, or maybe not. Depends on whether the speedo sending unit is on the front or rear output shaft or mechanically before the center diff.

Edited by brandon.mol