LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

Did the car sit for a while at some point? Maybe something made a nest in the exhaust somewhere? I've had rodents build a nest inside an exhaust I had sitting outside before...

Never for longer than a day and even then it has been in a garage. It's my daily driver so it gets pretty frequent attention.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a response back from Cobb:

"Thanks for reaching out, I'd be glad to assist! I think it was me that you had chatted with on the phone. I've looked through the logs and had some of the guys here take a look as well and just as we had discussed previously, it's hard to find anything wrong in these logs or what you're saying is happening with the car. The first and best suggestion I've had so far is make sure the MAF sensor is good to go. I might not suggest just replacing it outright since it isn't exactly inexpensive, but if you know someone else with a similar Subaru, you can try theirs and see how that works for you. Otherwise, we might need to chat with the Protuner to have them take a direct look at the car as well."

Does this make sense to anyone else? Has anyone had the MAF just 'go bad'?

None that I have come across yet. Everything looks to be in perfect order. I did notice on the nipple of my BOV (Turbosmart Kompact) that it is quite free-spinning. Is this normal? I don't remember it being able to spin freely when I installed it but my memory sucks....

Did you ever verify if your BPV was working properly?

Just checked the throttle plate with a boroscope and it is opening fine. Unfortunately, can't see the TGVs so the intake is coming off. I'm not feeling very much hope that they are the issue at this point though... :( Edited by jackal8788

Okay, big question for the group - should the TGVs open under these conditions:

- Ignition 'ON'

- Accelerator at WOT

The throttle plate is fully opening as I mentioned before but the TGVs aren't doing anything at all. I plan to delete them regardless but I would love for someone to tell me that under these conditions, they should be opening.

Confirm??

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Cobb and they said this is normal behavior and the TGVs will not open under these conditions so there is no way to know if they are working properly or not at this point.

Edited by jackal8788

From what I understand, the TGVs should only close during cold start conditions when the ECU detects that the engine is not up to operating temperature. I am not certain how they would behave in other situations related to throttle input with or without the motor actually running.

From what I understand, the TGVs should only close during cold start conditions when the ECU detects that the engine is not up to operating temperature. I am not certain how they would behave in other situations related to throttle input with or without the motor actually running.

You beat me to it and my explanation is now on the previous page. I called Cobb and they said the valves wouldn't open under those conditions so this isn't really telling me anything. I'll delete them regardless but I don't have as much hope as I did.

Probably a stupid questions, but have you tried reflashing your map?

Not stupid at all - the only stupid thing is this annoying little issue! I have done a few reflashes and even gone back to older maps that I had where I was overboosting, etc. but where the car also pulled like hell just to see if by chance it was something with the tune, the map, or just the need for all the sensors to have a reset. Unfortunately, no change :spin:

Are you catted? Possible the cat has melted or collapsed?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I likely won't have time until this weekend to actually do the TGV delete so in the meantime, any other thoughts are welcome :) Just to recap where we are now:

- Running e85, confirmed blend is ~83% ethanol

- DAM at 1.0

- AFRs normal in both open loop ( ~11.0 at WOT) and closed loop (14-15)

- No stuttering, jerking, or noticeable abnormality when driving or accelerating

- No rough idle or hard starting

- Normal boost (~21 PSI peak tapering to ~20 PSI redline)

- Leak-tested entire intake tract for boost leaks - none found

- Inspected throttle to ensure plate is opening fully. Appears to be working fine. This is substantiated by a 100% throttle reading in datalogs

- TGV voltage signals in datalogs show that the valve are opening properly. I will be deleting them this weekend just to rule them out as a potential cause.

- No collapsing of intake pipe

- No slipping of clutch or drivetrain

- No noted dragging of brakes, transmission, or other driveline components

- No anvils, sandbags, corpses, or other forms of weight have been added

- No observed exhaust leaks, no cat in the DP to plug up

- Cold engine compression test shows ~100 PSI in all cylinders. I'm told this is to be expected from a cold engine.

Again, someone who didn't know what the car should feel like would not know there was a problem.

Edited by jackal8788

Okay, one more thing. Can you check timing values are where they were before? Check the Total Timing figure both at peak load and at 6k0rpm. I have seen stock IAT timing comp tables that reduce timing at lower temps. Since you're presumably going into winter...

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Okay, one more thing. Can you check timing values are where they were before? Check the Total Timing figure both at peak load and at 6k0rpm. I have seen stock IAT timing comp tables that reduce timing at lower temps. Since you're presumably going into winter...

Sent from a device using some software.

Thanks fahr_side. Just so I understand better, if that was happening, would it show up in my 'Ignition Timing' parameter on my datalogs or is there another parameter I need to look at? In other words, is 'Ignition Timing' indicative of ALL adjustments and truly the total timing being applied? If it is, then I think the mystery still remains (per the graph below, the 'Low Timing' curve can be seen in purple and is pretty much the same as the 'Timing' curve which is from a datalog taken when the car was performing well).

Capture.JPG.79f0295d6209814b1fcee30829f3fe80.JPG