LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackal, I'd be interested in it if you want to unload it after Brian is done with it.

Hell, Id even foot part of the "rebuild" cost....or I'd buy it now and pay Brian directly....

Noted! I will consider this as your 'dibs' and to be honest, I can probably get the thing out to you (or Bryan, whatever would be preferred) within the next two weeks. My turbo is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday so I'm not exactly sure when I will get to swapping with the holidays but I can almost guarantee it will be well before New Year's (I'm waaaaay to antsy to sit on this for long).

That being said, maybe we can discuss details of the transaction via PM if you definitely are interested.

Out of curiosity I thought after stage two you have to start upgrading engine internals like pistons, rods, cam shafts ect? or is that sort of stuff needed once you are pushing for like much larger gains?

Just asking because i've noticed how aftermarket TMIC's, fuel pumps, larger injectors are common upgrades as well turbos in some cases with a few of you guys. I'm just not that familiar with common modifications after stage 2 that's all.

We have several cars running at stage 3, on a stock block, daily driven at 300~335whp, with proper supporting mods and a solid tune of course. These cars are severely intercooling-limited, so anything that helps lower or limit charge temps will be a great help, especially using E85 fuel or meth injection. Otherwise, not much is needed beyond what you should already have at stage 2.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

We have several cars running at stage 3, on a stock block, daily driven at 300~335whp, with proper supporting mods and a solid tune of course. These cars are severely intercooling-limited, so anything that helps lower or limit charge temps will be a great help, especially using E85 fuel or meth injection. Otherwise, not much is needed beyond what you should already have at stage 2.

Thanks for clarifying that up.

fahr_side

Is the scoop the main limiter? Any ways besides meth injection to cool down the charge?

Thanks in advance

Bigger intercooler, e85, fmic, intercooler sprayer....drive faster! I am thinking of me that injection at some point, with all the heat down here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The core is not tiny... it's certainly wider than that on the GH8 and SH9 models, but still I see heatsoaking faster on the LGT model. For sure the hoodscoop is a factor, it's almost half the height of the scoop on the WRX and Fozzies. If I install and tune for meth injection on a GH8 with an 18G I will most likely pick up 20~25whp from that. The same meth kit and turbo on a BR9 will pick up 30~35whp. Sure sounds cooler-limited to me.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Well I just got off the phone with the guy who swapped the turbo and he said it is overboosting quite a bit. He thought it almost maxed my gauge out (30 PSI is the top). He just checked to make sure the wastegate is able to open fully and said it is opening fully though he cannot confirm what pressure it is opening at.

I'm going to see if I can get a map from my tuner with a 0 WGDC so we can determine if the issue is related to the tune or something else. I'm really, really hoping this is just tune related and that he maybe had overly aggressive WGDC tables in this last map which led to the overboost.

#fingersstillcrossed

What the hell Jackal. You cant catch a break. First its slow, then it is boost leaks, now it is overboosting. Are you sure you are not making this up just to keep us entertained and this thread going on forever. All kidding aside. I hope it is just the tune and that it all works out.

Well I just got off the phone with the guy who swapped the turbo and he said it is overboosting quite a bit. He thought it almost maxed my gauge out (30 PSI is the top). He just checked to make sure the wastegate is able to open fully and said it is opening fully though he cannot confirm what pressure it is opening at.

I'm going to see if I can get a map from my tuner with a 0 WGDC so we can determine if the issue is related to the tune or something else. I'm really, really hoping this is just tune related and that he maybe had overly aggressive WGDC tables in this last map which led to the overboost.

#fingersstillcrossed

He could've easily pinched or punctured a boost line to the wastegate actuator, might just be as simple as that!

Shouldn't he be logging while testing? Would be nice to see exactly how much boost it saw...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

He could've easily pinched or punctured a boost line to the wastegate actuator, might just be as simple as that!

Shouldn't he be logging while testing? Would be nice to see exactly how much boost it saw...

Agree. Unfortunately, the tuner and builder are two different guys. The builder was the one who drove it after the install.

I am hoping this is something simple like a leaking signal line and/or the tune itself. I'm already kicking myself for saying it but it seems that diagnosing an overboost shouldn't be too difficult as there aren't many factors that can cause it.

Now that I've made that idiotic statement, let the next round of troubleshooting commence :rolleyes:

Edited by jackal8788

Stupid question, but on the new vf54 has the wastegate been ported?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Could this be the creep many have been experiencing since your prior turbo was already ported?

Not stupid at all - it's definitely a valid question. No, this is the stock WG with no additional porting or smoothing. I just drove the car myself and also took some datalogs. The issue is not with the tune. It is making ~24 PSI at 40% throttle and 3500-3800 RPMs with the WGDC at 1.57%.

I will need to do some more checking on the signal lines for leaks and/or obstructions which are preventing the WG diaphragm from seeing the signal pressure.

Stay tuned....

Sounds to me like something isn't working right. You will usually see boost creep at higher revs, as the wastegate is no longer able to bypass enough gas past the turbine to keep shaft speed in check. I like the simple test of connecting the actuator straight to the compressor housing nipple with fresh vacuum hose, no pills or restrictions. What you're looking at is very much like what happens if you connect a 3-port up the wrong way. Edited by fahr_side

Sounds to me like something isn't working right. You will usually see boost creep at higher revs, as the wastegate is no longer able to bypass enough gas past the turbine to keep shaft speed in check. I like the simple test of connecting the actuator straight to the compressor housing nipple with fresh vacuum hose, no pills or restrictions. What you're looking at is very much like what happens if you connect a 3-port up the wrong way.

Thanks fahr_side. I assume that once I have corrected the issue though, I would want to keep the restrictor pill in that branch of hose between the compressor housing and the tee that runs to the BCS and the wastegate actuator?

Yes of course, just remove for testing.

Sent from a device using some software.