LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the BNR 20G. I've got the Ebay unit in my car now and it seems like the issue is fixed but it's so hard to tell because of the current overboost issue. At ~30% throttle it will crank well past 22 PSI so I've really had to be pretty gentle on any acceleration. It does feel much more responsive though so it leads me to believe that the issue was either with the turbo or some kind of leak that was undetected in the old system and was corrected upon install.

I should have time to try diagnosing/fixing the overboost today or else tomorrow morning so I'll be able to make a more definitive assessment at that time.

My overboosting issue got me thinking about something here - if I'm producing 23 PSI / on 35% throttle position, is there any difference between 23 PSI at WOT? In other words, am I experiencing what is essentially a WOT condition or would there actually be more power produced if I was able to go WOT?

Not sure if that question makes sense, but I'm trying to get a sense of if the new turbo has corrected my previous low power issues. I can't go WOT with it now, but I can easily hit the same boost levels I would at a WOT condition.

Your car does not think you are going WOT, if that's what you're getting at.

Part-throttle, full boost... I remember with one of my WRXs, throwing an MBC on could lead to this condition, and since the car didn't know what was up, things could get ugly. It was in the wrong load column, with the wrong fueling, wrong timing, because you'd only be at part throttle, yet the turbo was pushing lots of boost.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Yep, that's what I was driving at. Luckily I have also been watching the AFRs very keenly during those situations and they are hanging in the low 11s so at least from a fueling standpoint it isn't getting into the danger zone.

Obviously I'm trying to keep it out of those zones and keep boost to a minimum until I can get the issue addressed but I wondered about how comparable the power output was in this situation vs. similar boost at WOT.

High boost and part throttle is a recipe for high EGT. You can log heater resistance on the front O2 sensor to evaluate this. Resistance below 25ohms indicates overly high EGT.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I was able to test my wastegate actuator this morning and I'm pleased to say I think I've found the problem. It doesn't even begin to move until ~26 PSI and my hand tester only goes to 30 PSI.

Do these things ever get sticky over time? Perhaps a series of actuations (either with air pressure or mechanically) would help to free it up? I also noticed there was a small hole on the lower half of the actuator housing. Is this for lubrication? Maybe it just needs a little help to start moving smoothly and actuating at the correct pressure?

The hole is to let air escape from the other side of the diaphragm.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The hole is to let air escape from the other side of the diaphragm.

Have you ever seen the actuators become sticky? If so, is it possible to restore them to proper working condition by cycling them? I'd like to make it work if I can but at worst case, I can always swap over the actuator from the 20G.

There's no fixing those things.

Seen before but not common. You're really having a shit run of luck!

Seen before but not common. You're really having a shit run of luck!

Yeah, you said it....

I was thinking that as a means to prevent a major boost spike until I have the wastegate fixed, I could disconnect the signal line from the top of the BOV and plug it. This way, there is no leakage or added air since it will be plugged and the maximum boost I could make would be whatever the spring pressure is in the BOV.

Any issues with doing this as a temporary safety measure to keep things under control?

Running for a short while with no working BPV is okay, just don't do it for long.

Okay now I am completely stumped. I pulled the downpipe off today and re-tested the wastegate to see if it was truly opening at a much higher pressure. Turns out it is working normally and it began to open at ~10 PSI. I did see that it doesn't really open very far. I don't have a pic, but the flapper angle is nowhere near 90 degrees when the actuator stopped moving. I would guess it to be no more than 45 degrees, which seems surprising. I could not see any mechanical obstructions that would have caused it to stop prematurely though. Does anyone else know if this is about right for the stock flapper?

The other thing I noticed was that the Invidia downpipe design really isn't very good. You can see in the picture all the area circled in red is area right behind the wastegate. I have to believe this generates some good potential for overboosting as well.

In conclusion though, things do seem to be working correctly (unless someone can tell me that my downpipe is not consistent with what others have or that my flapper door is not opening as far as it should) and I know there are plenty of forum members running a stock turbo, non stock CBE and a catless DP who don't have issues like this. I am currently running a 0 WGDC map from my tuner so the tune shouldn't be a factor here.

Any thoughts??

PS - I know Nameless makes a DP that has a divorced wastegate passage on it which I'm sure they did because the Invidia design really looks like pure garbage, but I feel like there have to be some other members here running a similar setup to what I now have that aren't overboosting. Truth??

548159687_2016-01-0211_02_26.thumb.jpg.7c336775c316f72a06cfe677eb5817b2.jpg

Edited by jackal8788

As far as your wastegate, I would think 45 degrees is not nearly enough opening, but that is a total guess on my part. I know that after Swanee got his motor put in he had wg issues. I believe the arm was hitting the DP. Not sure which DP he has though, but worth looking into.

As far as your wastegate, I would think 45 degrees is not nearly enough opening, but that is a total guess on my part. I know that after Swanee got his motor put in he had wg issues. I believe the arm was hitting the DP. Not sure which DP he has though, but worth looking into.

He has the Nameless DP and full system and it worked without issue with the stock turbo. When he did the motor build he switched to an 18G from BNR and the wastegate actuator arm was getting hung up on a heat shield, not the DP. Once the heat shield was modified, he had no issues with the wastegate functioning properly with the DP and no overboosting issues.

Many people have had overboosting problems with the Invidia Catless DP on the stock turbo.

Edited by GTEASER

45* is normal. I have dozens of customers using downpipes with flat flanges and round holes, by which yardstick the Invidia is already very well designed.

So it sounds like what I've got here is 'typical' and there is nothing malfunctioning - true statement?

It also sounds like there are people on both sides of the fence, those who have had issues and those who have not with a similar setup. Not surprisingly, I have landed on the 'issues' side of that fence, territory I know quite well.

At this point, I wondering if my best course is to look into a downpipe that offers either a bellmouth or divorced collector for improved flow from the wastegate? I've already spoken to a guy in the area who's done quite a bit of custom exhaust work for others and has said the he could definitely do whatever I wanted for a downpipe design but I wanted to see what everyone thought before unlimbering my wallet again.

I wouldn't count on a divorced style being any better. Read though the Nameless install thread to see my issues. I don't think there is much you can change with the exhaust to fix overboost besides adding restriction (i.e. switch to stock mid/mufflers). This is what I'll be doing at some point. I'm getting overboost with the Nameless DP and AVO CBE whenever it gets around 40F. The IWG is just too small.