LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had DEFI boost, oil temp and oil pressure gauges for the past 115K miles and both senders and gauges have worked flawlessly. And they match/replicate the speedo/tach opening ceremony and lighting is spot-on. Not cheap, but very, very durable and accurate.

I remember you being a DEFI fan. Need to look around for a bit more before I jump.

Is AFR on the dash all that useful?

Yes having the sensor on board is the key reason for tuning.

Other than the given oil pressure need to fill the second cubby gauge position.

Temp of trans or case oil are close seconds.

I don't want dissimilar dash gauges. OCD will not allow it. Picking a brand/line is a key element here.

I used to run mechanical gauges on my Opel Rallye...until the OP feed line decided to "uncouple" under some demanding hooning-around stresses. Hot oil spraying inside the car is not fun and forever turned me off to mechanical gauges.

AFR is one of those "use the AP or get a dash gauge" needs, especially if you're loading-up the engine, i.e., Stage 2+ tune, go-fast canyon carving, tracking, or towing, with your car. If you're just DDing it and don't give-in to FTTF hooning, it's your call. My $.02 worth.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The mechanical will not go in the car just the engine bay. It would be a stopgap measure.

AFR would be for data logging tuning a solid stage 2 after I pass smog.

I'm going to be forced to go back to stock looking first so a DP is not in my immediate rebuild plans. After it's passed I can have two years of stage 2 fun.

I have a fitting, got it from SBT, that goes into the front block oil journal where the OEM oil pressure sensor goes (1/8"PT threads I think, not NPT), that allows you to be able to hook a hose up the block and prime the entire block with oil BEFORE you attempt to start the motor for the first time. Let me know if I can bring it over when you're getting ready to start her up.

Ok no word back from Mike about ETA for the OCV hose and V2 filter we discussed, so I'm just going to plow forward with V1 setup.

DW65c with install kit just arrived. Surprised how small it is for some reason.

Sent the stock injectors over to them for servicing today.

Need some new plugs, ATF and to check for the locating pins between the case and the transmission.

Going to replace the TC seal and give the TC a little message with some emery cloth... TC and rotors have gathered some rust over the last two years.

Sigh... Plumbing nearing the end. It seemed I was missing some of the molded hoses until the was box was found while cleaning up... Running out of smaller diameter hose clamps. The cut hoses are going to be trial and error with less of the error side of things.

Now I need to find the coil pack connector kit I picked up from Infamous 3+ years ago. It wasn't in the normal subaru hord box. May be stored in the car, have to check there.

Will get this done soon enough.

Time to go pickup some fresh tiewraps for all the small vacuum hoses and place the wire harness.

Will be ordering the new heater core hoses, sparkplugs and other materials needed for install and first startup.

• Moderators
Sigh... Plumbing nearing the end. It seemed I was missing some of the molded hoses until the was box was found while cleaning up... Running out of smaller diameter hose clamps. The cut hoses are going to be trial and error with less of the error side of things.

Now I need to find the coil pack connector kit I picked up from Infamous 3+ years ago. It wasn't in the normal subaru hord box. May be stored in the car, have to check there.

Will get this done soon enough.

I have installed the freerangeracing kit also, and ended up with a number of EXTRA larger hoses that I have no idea where they go. :confused: I have a bunch of vacuum line left also, but that's no biggie--I had some silicone in there already that I didn't bother replacing.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Hopefully, you replaced the hose(s) though. After all these years and Cali heat and dry cycles, they're likely cracked and dry and ready for refresh.

Hopefully, you replaced the hose(s) though. After all these years and Cali heat and dry cycles, they're likely cracked and dry and ready for refresh.

Hoses have been replaced when I rebuilt the motor over a little 3 yrs ago. Good to go for another 3 - 4 yrs.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Easily. My 10 Y/O hoses, 1/2 of that in SoCal, were right at the EOSL last year when I replaced them all - including the soft fuel lines.

Good to hear that you had some extra hose sections Barman. At the end I was just making an educated guess taking sections out and rebuilding with the bits left. Wasn't much. Many were rock hard and didn't want to budge or just so loose to be any good.

All of the hoses on the motor aside from the heater core are new. Feels good. Headed out for some tie wrap fun.

PITA was orienting the hose clamps into a position where they can be reached or are out of the way. Wire harness install after tie wrap job.

Next to wrap my head around pulling this torque converter to replace the seal.

Edited by kzr750r1

Holy hell that site is like crack. Just as expensive. Stainless T and line reducer for just under $40... What a deal. Thanks though I may order a few. :rolleyes:

I found brass ones for under $4.00, what are you talking about.

http://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/contents/gfx/small/44555k138p1-c01fs.png?ver=1356079276

For

Tube ID Each 0.096" 44555K136 $3.74 0.17" 44555K137 2.51 1/4" 44555K138 3.66 3/8" 44555K186 4.49

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You don't need SS for this. Brass or a good plastic is fine.

You can even go to Home Depot in Plumbing and get the brass T and barb fittings and Teflon tape and make your own T.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here