LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Just paid Mike at Tuning Alliance for Etune services.

Plan is to develop three maps for my car.

Break-in. Stage 1. Then stage 2 after I place a new DP and swap IC.

Very happy to have some other eyeballs looking at the logs with me.

Making other progress.

Mechanical oil pressure gauge arrived.

Bracket built for the new Turbo Oil filter.

Will continue surface rust removal on the breaks and other areas that need attention.

Need to go pick up break in oil, break in supplement, oil filters and a couple more quarts of AT fluid.

Also ordered some new Moog sway bar end links. These Hotchkis units are worthless if the rubber boots waste away. I have spares that are done before even being exposed to the elements.

Last Heuberer order in coming.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All is still looking good for a sunday stuff.

Just stripped off the IC and DP mock up.

Planning to run the turbo blanket under the stock heat shield. I'm probably going to be doing a little trim up top. Well see.

Prepped one of the tables for parts to go on other than what is in the boot.

Have one WIX 57712 and will pick up four more in the morning.

Two cases of Chevron 5w30 and enough redline break in additive for two changes.

Probably around 7 or 8. I'm hoping no more than an hour or so for the initial stab.

Have plenty of fluids to change and peripherals to place before first fire.

One friend said he'd be over. Not sure for how long he will last.

Will get some sodas and water for the cooler.

Much nicer in it's spot after the shadows begin to cover the carcass. Been bloody hot over here the lase few days.

Edited by kzr750r1

Cracked one of the vacuum ports on the turbo inlet and looking for a part number on the OEM unit. Need to order one STAT.

I'm not putting the Perrin on again even though it would work was never happy with the fitment. I'll have a stack of Perrin parts to sell soon.

Cracked one of the vacuum ports on the turbo inlet and looking for a part number on the OEM unit. Need to order one STAT.

I'm not putting the Perrin on again even though it would work was never happy with the fitment. I'll have a stack of Perrin parts to sell soon.

Know that feel. I was almost done with my install until I ripped the inlet hose at the turbo. POS.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Do you need a stock intercooler in the mean time to get her up and running?

IC is fine. It's the silly plastic Inlet pipe that let me down again. This is #2 for the car not counting the Perrin that was on for about 20K.

Yeah. Both kinda work but just not cleanly. New inlet ordered. Livermore is going to expedite my order so I should see it Wednesday. Just could not narrow down the specific part number with Heuberger and not at all on Rock Auto.

Still have plenty to do so not stopping me much.

HVAC pump, starter and some other bits went on. Turbo will come back off or at least loose until this new inlet is on.

Time to monkey with the steering pump. Yay!

Part is in!

Last night ripped the old intake out and placed the plugs.

Happy I had not forgotten how to get these plugs in. Forgot to put them on before inserting the motor. I may be making noise later today. Well see.

That was one of the joys of having my motor out. I could get the coilpacks off/on with no drama, and the sparkplugs out/in, exactly to spec.

Back between the frame rails, not so much.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah We screwed the pooch on that one, my helper even noticed but figured I had a reason to leave them out. Once he noticed the clearance he understood why I dropped a bunch of F bombs.

Good thrash today.

What's left:

Prime the oil galley

Transmission ATF Change

Front Diff Gear Oil Change

Steering pump flush

Place the Alternator and Accessory belts

Radiator and hoses add coolant

Install battery - May need a new one, well see.

Key on Throttle on full to chooch the oil through the galleys and to the turbo...

Start this pig!

Edited by kzr750r1

Should have put the radiator on first. Cleanup isle #4! ATF was not going in and I just realized it too late it needs to run before I can get the correct amount in.

Least the front Diff didn't fight me as much.

Tomorrow prime the oil galley and get the rest of this together for an initial start.

FWIW, I just started my engine after the rebuild. I had the key in the On positions a few times before just checking things out.

When it came time to start it the first time, I let the fuel pump prime/gauges sweep and went to start, it fired right up like it does everyday. You get oil pressure faster at idle then when your cranking it over with the starter.

On a V or in line engine where its easy to leave the "spark plugs out" and spin the crank with the starter and have no compression pushing the rod bearings into the crank, you can spin the engine and prime the oil system. Did that with race Honda's, but it still takes a while for the oil pressure to come up.

I chose to start it like the factory does.

Before you start it...step back, give everything another look over...

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure all the hose clamps are tight on all, yes, all the coolant lines, hint hint, turbo coolant tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah it's a little difficult to tighten the hose clamps under the 5th level of hell (Intake Manifold), But I'll check all I can. Was pretty diligent about taking a step at a time on the setup.

I may just get it all together tonight and wait till morning for startup. Well see how far I get today. Had to ping Mike about my break in map. If he isn't getting back to me I'll start on the last Cryo map and keep my foot out of it.

Back here looking for the power steering fluid change procedure so I can prime this unit again.

Cool beans. Glad to hear it.

Front of the car still lifted. If so, cycle the wheel back and forth a few times after you fill-up the reservoir. And put some silicone lube on your inlet o-ring just to be sure as it's likely dried-out some.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Nope on the ground at this point. I drove it around the block.

I'll go through the procedure again ASAP. Replaced the oring so there should be no leaks.

Wiper blades are Chooched from two years of weather. Windshield screen was literally disintegrating.