LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At a stalling point waiting for injectors to return from DW.

Since I can't finish the wire harness or plumbing install until then decided to get into the other aspects.

Pulled the torque converter to prep for new seal install.

Found that the retaining clip tang was snapped off during the motor pull.

I'll dig around with a magnet after the seal is out but I don't expect to find it.

Having another clip is great but not being sure this junk is out of the transmission is a concern.

May get into the fuel pump install this weekend.

Have a show to play in S.F. Saturday so that usually taps me out of extra activities during a weekend. Luckily this is an early show, but we do play second to last.

IMG_5690.JPG.4476db680b885a3a321f1b95c906a4d9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Close... Been a rough month at work. No time for the car.

I should be able to button up the motor prep this weekend. Taking two weeks off in July. Some time between the 5th and 17th it should go in.

Using those qualifying words like "should" for a reason, cause ya never know.

Well change that "Should" to "Must"... No pressure.

I need to get this loaner truck back to Mom ASAP. Her A3 was totaled yesterday. She is ok and not her fault. Recall airbags deployed and no shrapnel.

Made some progress. Injectors, wire loom, IC fit for sake of clocking the TB hose.

Cracked open the V1 oil filter to find the element had begun to collapse onto the housing.

Will be calling XRP(:edit) Tuesday for a replacement filter since I haven't heard back from Mike at IP. Pretty sure these are AN6 hoses in the original IP filter kits, will measure to be sure.

Edited by kzr750r1

Will be calling KRP Tuesday for a replacement filter since I haven't heard back from Mike at IP. Pretty sure these are AN6 hoses in the original IP filter kits, will measure to be sure.

They are AN4. If you can't find a replacement element for your V1 filter, call xrp and buy a 40 micron space saver filter (this is the v2 filter but 40 microns instead of 10). Xrp recommends a 40 instead of a 10 because the 10 clogs too easily.

Stoked.

Can't find the missing retention ring piece inside the output shaft cavity.

New seal is on.

Notice a oring on the end of the output shaft. I should replace, well see if I replace it. Have to look for a PN.

Subaru run was completed today. HP ATF and Coolant picked up. Plugs from somewhere else cause Subaru rips people off for these.

I get my plugs from, Underdog, just PM him and tell him what you want, he can get you most anything you need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I get my plugs from, Underdog, just PM him and tell him what you want, he can get you most anything you need.

In hand already. Monument Auto had them in stock a town over and I had to go there for the Subaru purchase anyway. Funny both clerks asked what they were for. Both asked what kind of motorcycle, eyebrows raised each time when I replied Subaru. :rolleyes:

Yes, I remember doing that years back with the turbo'ed civic, we used a NGK part number, not a plug that normally goes in a Honda Civic. The auto parts guy's don't know what your doing until you explain it to them. Most only know what's in the book.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well looks like next weekend will be the big push. Parts are delayed from Heuberger. Tried to expedite but some parts will not be in till early next week to ship. Will have them flown out to be sure they are in hand for the weekend.

I was missing some down pipe gaskets. In addition ordered some extra bits like heater core hoses and that little oring at the end of the output shaft.

Although I could probably go in without these. Still need to fab a new bracket for this tasty filter. General cleanup and prep for the install will continue this week.

Looking forward for this saga to be over.

1612923173_FullSizeRender(1).jpg.9d9c29badbc860da8bac0d9f9de2b9cd.jpg

Just doing my best making sure this goes smooth.

Also picked up a garden sprayer to convert for prelube the oil galley.

Need to pull the old fuel out of the tank and swap fuel pumps.

Probably need a new battery. Well see. I'll get this one back on a trickle charger and see if it holds.

Nope. My neighbors all rule. Everyone puts up with my occasional noise pollution. Funny that one three houses down mentioned she had not herd me playing bass in a while.

7 gallons made it's way into the truck for "disposal".

Thanks to rootbeer on the pump install walk through.

Was going to bag over some items and do a general cleanup in the engine compartments.

Then remembered we pulled the Half shafts out of the diff and ball joints hanging.

Not sure why we did this as it's not called out in the removal procedure. Rookie mistake.

Any hoo, after some sweet wrestling moves they are stuffed back in the diff and ball joints coated in anti seize in their happy homes.

Spent a little while cleaning up the surface rust on the rotors. Will pull the caliper and clean them up. Back sides need a scuff.

Looks like I'm going to be starting up on my last map from Cryo. Just have to keep my foot out of it.