KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Antibiotics are working. Last weekend was hell. Finally went to the Dr. Wednesday. She had the same crud. Will be here this Sunday between 0900 and 1300 for some assembly time. Not sure what part of assembly will be done but still need to install the TB and plenty of other parts to go on. Send me a PM if you want to drop in... I'll send you the address.

I'll have to check with my girl, being it's Frighey already. Give me a full weeks notice and I can plan for it. I'll keep you posted.

Next Sunday would work better as I can plan for it.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 months later...

Cam sprockets torqued down. I want to get the timing belt on.

Tripping out about the TDC mark and piston #1 position. TDC to me means #1 is at the top of the throw. This seems to #1 at the bottom of the compression throw?

What am I missing here.

Woodrift key is pointed at the bottom timing mark at the top align to the case. So there is no way I'm not on the right marks.

Do I just get it close there and assume it's at the right position to begin whatever cycle #1 is about to start? Meaning intake or exhaust throw.

Lets start from the beginning,

#1 is the front passenger side cylinder.

You do have the service manual...?

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cam sprockets torqued down. I want to get the timing belt on.

Tripping out about the TDC mark and piston #1 position. TDC to me means #1 is at the top of the throw. This seems to #1 at the bottom of the compression throw?

What am I missing here.

Woodrift key is pointed at the bottom timing mark at the top align to the case. So there is no way I'm not on the right marks.

Do I just get it close there and assume it's at the right position to begin whatever cycle #1 is about to start? Meaning intake or exhaust throw.

Let me know if I can help, I've done this several times. Getting the timing belt on is a PITA!

My wife's balls are delicious.

When I put my belt on, I left the #1 piston as close to the top of the throw as possible. The crank gear has a triangle, and a line as marks. With the piston close to the top, it looked like the triangle was pointing very close to 12 o'clock. THIS IS ALL WRONG.

Luckily I couldn't remember if I had rotated the driver cam gears in the correct directions. I asked my extra hand if we could take it off and start over, just to be sure. Re-reading the fsm and gates instructions, I clued in that the crank gear has two marks. The dash points straight to noon and matches the timing mark on the engine, and the triangle points to 3 o'clock-ish.

I used the timing belt marks to line up the belt on the crank gear, passenger intake, passenger exhaust, then using slack, the driver exhaust. With the belt correctly on the driver exhaust I rotated it to match the timing mark notches on the timing cover. My helper then rotated the driver intake gear until the timing belt mark sat in the correct position on the driver intake gear.

I don't think the belt gets installed at TDC. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) The piston gets pulled down slightly so that as you open the driver valves by rotating the driver side cam gears, there's not piston/valve contact.

Remember the pistons on the drivers side at half way down the cylinders when #1 is at TDC, At that point #3 will be at BDC.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

For reference, the marks on the timing belt will not line up each time, the belt has an odd number of teeth so it rotates on the pulleys so it doesn't wear in the same spot each time around.

Don't watch them. The belt doesn't care where it's installed.

Pulled the fuel rails off to replace the hose and seal rings. Hope one of the shops in town will have 8mm fuel injection rated hose on the shelf. Literally only need less than a foot. There are only three sections on this assembly I'm going to replace. With additional luck some nice clamps that match the OD of the new hose.

Well that was easy. O'Rielly has Gates Barricade PN 27340 in stock for sale by the foot. Weird. PN 27335 is listing the same product spec... Had to order but it will be here by 8am. They tried to hand me some generic hose... Was not having it.

Edited by kzr750r1