LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Brass Shifter Bushing

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed the Perrin bushing yesterday.

Decided awhile back to also install an O-ring (Vinton) to seal out grit & grime, and also provide a spacer to keep the shifter cable fitting in place between the washer & bushing.

IMG_0616.thumb.jpg.787e2e1e5856d82bea8e8a20e829031f.jpg

IMG_0610.thumb.jpg.63f9aa741829a5aa2493d21c69ad972f.jpg

IMG_0615.thumb.jpg.d42ef98f0355842d3f44e83c55ba0435.jpg

Bopper, did you have the shifter cover plate on your car (as described in the Perrin instructions) ? I didn't have one on my car, but when I did Swannee's install, he has a 2010, he had one on his car.

No, didn't have one on mine.

Bopper, did you have the shifter cover plate on your car (as described in the Perrin instructions) ? I didn't have one on my car, but when I did Swannee's install, he has a 2010, he had one on his car.

No, didn't have one on mine.

that is so strange. should be getting my jack stands this weeked so I'll be installing mine at somepoint next week... whenever the bushing and washer get here

Bopper have you tried yours without the O-ring? I'd like to know the effect it has. i'd assume it would reduce vibration a little bit but always make throws have a little bit of extra drag on them. can you report on that at all? also what size O-ring did you use?

Thanks, Stik

Bopper have you tried yours without the O-ring? I'd like to know the effect it has. i'd assume it would reduce vibration a little bit but always make throws have a little bit of extra drag on them. can you report on that at all? also what size O-ring did you use?

Thanks, Stik

Metric Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 2.4 mm Width, 20.8 mm ID (McMaster-Carr)

Actually, what my observation was of the mechanics of the OEM bushing and the Perrin, are the same in principle. The movement (friction point) is the transmission linkage bracket (pin) and the inside (sleeve) of the bushing. Movement between the outside of the bushing (OEM or Perrin) and the shifter cable fitting would be none or minimal at best. The O-ring is serving as a seal/spacer and should not impact the feel or function.

Metric Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 2.4 mm Width, 20.8 mm ID (McMaster-Carr)

Actually, what my observation was of the mechanics of the OEM bushing and the Perrin, are the same in principle. The movement (friction point) is the transmission linkage bracket (pin) and the inside (sleeve) of the bushing. Movement between the outside of the bushing (OEM or Perrin) and the shifter cable fitting would be none or minimal at best. The O-ring is serving as a seal/spacer and should not impact the feel or function.

Thanks Bopper. i may just do the same. where i work we have tons of o-rings (we manufacture seals) so ill probably be able to get one at the ultra bulk price and without even leaving work so I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I don't see why not, the postage will be super cheap since it'll go in a regular envelope. I'll talk to my boss about it on Monday. i won't be able to just grab that many off the shelf because i don't want anyone in MFG to have to wait for and order of O-rings to come in to get orders out the door. but I'm sure i can add it to the next order, we'll just have to wait until they come in.

Looks like it was there on the 2010 (service manual says to remove it when getting to the cable), but then in 2011 they stopped installing it on the Legacy and only installed it on the Outback (the service manual notes Outback only from 2011 on, but not in 2010)

I was looking at my car this morning, and it's definitely not there - however, the holes are there and threaded, so I might add it on. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the part on any of the online parts guides... anyone know the number for the dust cover and the two bolts?

Capture.JPG.08c2302af0e9f404adcaca1ce2b50c6d.JPG

Looks like it was there on the 2010 (service manual says to remove it when getting to the cable), but then in 2011 they stopped installing it on the Legacy and only installed it on the Outback (the service manual notes Outback only from 2011 on, but not in 2010)

I was looking at my car this morning, and it's definitely not there - however, the holes are there and threaded, so I might add it on. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the part on any of the online parts guides... anyone know the number for the dust cover and the two bolts?

so your saying a large portion of our shifter linkage is exposed to the elements? i don't like that one bit

My 2012 doesnt have the shifter plate. Great mod for the money, I felt a decent amount of difference in regards to the firmness of each shift!

Easy install too.

any idea how much the plate would run? if its not ridiculous i definitely want one. driving in VT you need as much as you can get to seperate sensitive parts from the nastiness that is our salt infused roads

To me, it doesn't look like the plate is meant to protect the shifter cable end from road spray and salts in inclimate weather. It doesn't seal off that area of the tranny precluding water and fine gravel. It looks more like its intended to be protection from large rocks or road debris. But why some cars have it, and other cars don't is a complete mystery to me.

Sounds to me like someone at Subaru was given the task of reducing weight and/or saving a penny or two.... I guess that was the result. The dude was probably fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2013 does not have a cover plate either.. was pleasantly surprised. Cut this mod down to a whopping 10 minutes of labor after jacking it up. I love the improvement. A bit louder, yes, but every shift feels nice and stiff and much more secure. The whole mechanism just feels more held together and settles into gear nicely. I suppose this has to do with less bushing compression when comparing the brass and rubber, as expected..

To me, it doesn't look like the plate is meant to protect the shifter cable end from road spray and salts in inclimate weather. It doesn't seal off that area of the tranny precluding water and fine gravel. It looks more like its intended to be protection from large rocks or road debris. But why some cars have it, and other cars don't is a complete mystery to me.

my thought is if a rock can get there than so can a chunk of ice and a whole bunch of salt. even if it does make a full seal it'll still block some salt instead of just having that whole cavity filled. I'll have to look into getting one of these

Archived