LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Brass Shifter Bushing

I installed the bushing today but had some trouble. Incase anybody is in a rush and expects it to go as smoothly as I did, here's how it can turn into a few hours. After removing the cover and cotter pin, I find the inner brass portion of the stock bushing had rusted itself solid to the center pin. I had to pry the washer off, then the rubber, so I could use a micro torch to heat the brass portion. Needle nose vice grips twisted it off after a few minutes of heating it. Then I used a Dremel and sand paper to clean the base of the pin so the new bushing could sit flush. It took a few tries to get enough clearance to reinstall the cotter pin.

It was worth the headache though as it does feel a lot more secure going into gear. Now to get rid of the side to side play when I'm in gear :spin:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the OEM Legacy short shifter and the 15+ WRX short shifter both have stronger springs

So, why don't we just figure out what stronger springs are needed and swap them out? Much cheaper than a whole new shifter.

So, why don't we just figure out what stronger springs are needed and swap them out? Much cheaper than a whole new shifter.

It sounds easy but adding tension won't help with solidifying the shifter. I think you need to remove all the clearance then solidify the housing somehow to really give it a sturdy solid feel.

• 4 months later...

Archived