LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

I feel like people started doing the clutch damper delete a while after I was doing my stint at the 1/4mi track, but I didn't have any issues launching the living shit out of my 5th gen with the damper still installed :lol:

With that said, I'd still probably have done the delete on my 5th gen if I still had it. Right around the time I would've installed the 3rd clutch... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Add another to the list!! First, when backing out of garage, zero clutch chatter and I felt one with the car. I thought to myself, maybe just got lucky. Next, 1st gear and wouldn't you know it, zero chatter or any sign of harsh engagement. My clutch is loving me right now and vice versa. Every time I make a change to the car, I fall in love again! Only went out for a 5 minute ride to test, but all this rant about the delete was dead nuts, it's fantastic!!!! Thanks Reeg

I feel like people started doing the clutch damper delete a while after I was doing my stint at the 1/4mi track, but I didn't have any issues launching the living shit out of my 5th gen with the damper still installed :lol:

With that said, I'd still probably have done the delete on my 5th gen if I still had it. Right around the time I would've installed the 3rd clutch... :rolleyes:

I think launching was the one thing that damper was good for. you could just dump it and let the damper cause the clutch to engage "slowly". Launching is certainly a little harder for me after the delete but its worth it to be able to down shift and roll away from lights properly.

I actually find it easier to launch harder with the delete, I can feel the bite point and sense the slip better. I don't do it often, but when I do, I not only surprise myself but also see the jaws drop in the Corvette or Mustang next to me. I don't think the damper does anything well....well, maybe it saves noob manual users from breaking things.

Have the union. Builder advised me against doing it. After a lengthy discussion. I have yet to do it. Save the driveline buy a clutch won. Serectly if I hit my target whp dyno. I might do it.

Have the union. Builder advised me against doing it. After a lengthy discussion. I have yet to do it. Save the driveline buy a clutch won. Serectly if I hit my target whp dyno. I might do it.

theres nothing to worry about... if you know how to drive :hide:

acumenhokie actually had a long conversation with the engineers at Southbend and discussed the clutch damper. They stated that clutch dampers contribute significantly to premature disc wear. Our damper is external to the clutch m/c, unlike any other manual Subaru, and by the looks of it, it holds a significantly larger volume of fluid than the 4th Gen Leggy and WRX/STi dampers which are internal to the clutch m/c and very small in comparison. Plus, our dampers are a failure point in the hydraulic system as SurlyOldMan found out.

Get rid of the damn thing. You'll have better clutch feel and control over the engagement. Do you want to listen to one builder that has no direct experience with this item in this car, or a forum full of dozens of owners who have done this mod with success, raving reviews, and no broken parts to date that can be attributed to this mod?

Edited by GTEASER

To GTEASER's point, most EDM and JDM cars do not have dampers, it only USDM models that do. Something about we love to drag race a ton.

He's also correct this mod is stupid easy to do on the 2010+, I'm still thinking of how to properly do it on the 05 LGT, using a drain plug bolt seems like the best way to go.

On my list to do so that it doesn't eat my clutch, got the part already too. Real question is, what kind of fluid are you going putting in there, anything fancy or just dot 3?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

To GTEASER's point, most EDM and JDM cars do not have dampers, it only USDM models that do. Something about we love to drag race a ton.

He's also correct this mod is stupid easy to do on the 2010+, I'm still thinking of how to properly do it on the 05 LGT, using a drain plug bolt seems like the best way to go.

On my list to do so that it doesn't eat my clutch, got the part already too. Real question is, what kind of fluid are you going putting in there, anything fancy or just dot 3?

just dot 3. it doesn't see any heat and isn't even very high pressure so no need for the fancy shit

I'm still thinking of how to properly do it on the 05 LGT, using a drain plug bolt seems like the best way to go.

Have you seen the write-up on IWSTI? That's what they use IIRC, an oil drain plug.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods-and-installations/12865-clutch-delay-valve-repost-pics.html?highlight=clutch+damper

Have you seen the write-up on IWSTI? That's what they use IIRC, an oil drain plug.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods-and-installations/12865-clutch-delay-valve-repost-pics.html?highlight=clutch+damper

Yup I have, I'm not a fan of putting the copper washers inside, I would rather have a shorter bolt and have a washer be sandwiched between bolt and slave body. But I haven't really studied mine enough yet to make that call :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Day 2 after delete and all I can say is HECK YEAH!!! I can actually feel the clutches engagement point especially in 1st and 2nd. Not that I will ever race the car but I'm still trying to time up shifting better to stay in boost as I'm used to the old unpredictable, horribly designed piece of monkey shat damper. So in between shifts I feel as I'm not applying enough gas when releasing clutch after gear change and car bogs slightly. Just a new learning curve, no big deal. Another wonderful thing and not sure if it had anything to do with it, but before delete, while depressing clutch, I would hear a creeking noise like an old door closing but that has completely gone away. Maybe the damper was working against the clutch in some way causing this, I don't know? I am asking myself like all others, why o' why did I wait this long

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/25855a03ae3d31a93e3fa58ff4851354.jpg