LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

Yeah I'm looking at 1-2 more weeks. I wanna put rotors and pads on too. So I need time to gather parts. It's maybe had 1 set of pads I'm presuming, since the rears are speaking to me under medium braking. Of course subaru dealer says they're good, I believe whoever put them on didn't grease them properly. Unfortunately I knew the car had been neglected some when I went to purchase it, I checked everything including the fluids. But I really wanted the LGT and wasn't gonna settle for a '14 3.6R which was the only other leggy on then lot plus I got it for less the $17k so I'm not complaining at all

Yes. Yes you do.

1. Get life insurance if you have a family

2. Get laid

3. Clutch damper delete

Three most important things you should do during your tenure on this earth.

Funny... I heard that before but read #2 as "get blown".... so I upgraded the turbo :spin: Now ya tell me! Excuse me lads, gotta call the wife! :lol:

I've been following this thread for a while, the results sound fantastic - is there a similar damper valve on the 4th gen? What about the "stage 2 delete" by removing the internals from the slave cylinder?

I agree with what other have said, cold temperatures likely doesn't play well with the internals of the valve. Would love to crack one open.

...is there a similar damper valve on the 4th gen? ...

I have not heard of anything like this in the 4th gen but it would be easy enough to check. remove the panel below your steering wheel and lay on your back in the wheel well. if you don't see that big round connector you probably don't have one

^^ not necessarily true. The Impreza's have a damper in the clutch master cylinder, its not separate like ours. So you would have to do some research and look at some parts diagrams of the clutch hydraulic system on the 4th gen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finally got mine ordered. I've been waiting on my buddies GF to get in good with the dealership she works at, since she is a new online sales / customer service rep and is just settling in. But she was able to get me a 20% employee discount and it should show up Friday. :D Now if weather permits this weekend I'll be taking on this along with my rally armour mud guards. Wish I had my perrin trans upgrades as well but that's another story for another thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Well I've finally got mine ordered. I've been waiting on my buddies GF to get in good with the dealership she works at, since she is a new online sales / customer service rep and is just settling in. But she was able to get me a 20% employee discount and it should show up Friday. :D Now if weather permits this weekend I'll be taking on this along with my rally armour mud guards. Wish I had my perrin trans upgrades as well but that's another story for another thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V

You waited 6 weeks or more to do a crucial driver interface/experience mod to save a measly $7 on the part? :spin: You wasted that much in clutch disk material. LOL! Where are your priorities!!!! :lol:

Yeah, I know I'm sorry :( my lady has me focused on a new housing situation so the not spending money on the car I just bought 6 weeks ago is not good with her... but she can go buy me things to help keep it clean, since I live on a long gravel road that's destroying my skirts, like floor mats and mud gaurds.. yeah that's my birthday gift from her. And the dampener delete was my birthday gift to me :) of course we have a little vacation planed the weekend of since I have 5 days off so we got the this week so I can hopefully install this weekend and have it ready to leave next Thursday and go ride in Gatlinburg TN Memorial day weekend traffic :eek:

Sent from my SM-G900V

Edited by foxrider28

• 3 weeks later...
^^^^ Finally got it in my hands! Only took 3 weeks due to "back order". [emoji34] I think they forgot to order it the first go around and didn't get it ordered untill I called last week asking about it. But it's here now and by going through my buddies wife I got $20 off. [emoji2] Now to get to the weekend so I can put my new set of line wrenches to work and begin the relearning process.

Posting this here to link it for some of the 4th Gen guys on a Subaru FaceBook group asking about the dampers on their 4th Gens.

There are 2 dampers on the 5th Gen, one in the hard line between the MC and slave cylinder. You will see the page from the service manual in that thread, probably on page 1. Based on this pic from the Subaru parts diagram for 05, your slave cylinder does not have one, only 07+.

http://parts.subaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B13_10001101.png

Below is a page taken from the factory service manual for your '05. You do not have an in-line damper like the 5th gen, but rather a damper on the clutch master cylinder (red arrow). This is very similar to the WRX and STI damper and I am pretty certain I have seen damper delete threads for this style damper on IWSTI, NASIOC and I-Club. The green arrow shows where the slave cylinder damper would be if you had one, but as shown on the parts diagram above, the 4th gens have 2 different style slave cylinders, 05-06 and 07-09.

Good luck with this. :)

attachment.thumb.jpg.71cfb80e671cf1ab1c3152c325de9727.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Since this needs a basic coupler, has anyone dried the brake line unions from Autozone for $5?

http://www.autozone.com/brake-system/brake-system-adapter/dorman-brake-line-union/976399_0_0/

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Since this needs a basic coupler, has anyone dried the brake line unions from Autozone for $5?

http://www.autozone.com/brake-system/brake-system-adapter/dorman-brake-line-union/976399_0_0/

As long as it's the appropriate length and the threads are the same I don't see why it wouldn't physically work.

But the mounting point that is on OEM part makes it much easier with the tiny amount of space up there by holding the part in place while you tighten down each of the fittings. With the universal union, you have to get two wrenches and two hands up in there. Also, I would be a little concerned about vibration caused by the weight of the union without the additional mounting point.

If cost is your concern ($35 for new part), you may be able to locate a 6MT Legacy or Outback at a salvage yard to get the part from the engine compartment. If there isn't one located near you, a "puller" from outside your area may be able to locate one for you and ship it for not too much money.

That's one of the things I am curious about, how well mounted the lines are, if they are pretty loose with the damper removed then having the coupler be mounted is a good idea. Good point on holding it and tightening it, I'm not used to the damper being in tight spaces (at first I didn't even realize it was in the cabin, the pictures made it look to be by an exhaust because of the big round pipe pedal.)

Guess I'll set aside $25ish (since about about to buy timing belt related items so will be able to throw this into the shipping mix).

I wish I had a salvage yard with imported cars, nothing but old American junkers where I live.

22 Ascent STOCK

Here are a few 6MT cars. You can contact his person and send him a pic of the part from earlier in this thread.

https://www.partmyride.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2010/car/592467

https://www.partmyride.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2010/car/1455145

And here is complete search list.

https://www.partmyride.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2010/

Edited by GTEASER

Probably is easier to just get it from the dealer, since most folks will want $15 or so shipped. No worries I'll probably just get the new part from the dealer since I'm already ordering parts anyway :).

Now I gotta see about an 05 damper bypass, and add more parts to my shopping list.

22 Ascent STOCK

^^ You saw post 414 above, right? Discussion about 4th Gen dampers.

Yes sir, that's what confirmed to me that it's a damper (I would look at it sideways and wonder wtf that was for :lol:).

This thread should do the trick: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods-and-installations/12865-clutch-delay-valve-repost-pics.html

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 months later...