LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

This car is a bit much for a teen to start driving in imo. I worry about my wife giving it a lot of throttle because she has never really felt even close to what the car is capable of let alone been at the wheel. Heck it catches me off guard sometimes.

Isn't there a fuse or something you can pull to limit boost.

Edited by FLlegacy

You might be able to limit it to wastegate boost, but that's still around 6PSI, if I'm regurgitating what I've read correctly.

I learned on a half-ton Silverado, and that was honestly a pretty good way to do it. Enough rotating mass that it's a little hard to kill, which is big.

I looked and it appears that manual rentals only exist in Europe. Goddamn Murica!

only places you'll see them is at home grown places and even most of them don't have them because of exactly what we are talking about hahaha. i ask subaru everytime to give me something with a stick as a loaner and they just laugh. i honestly feel if i bring a turbo manual car in i should get at least a turbo or a manual to drive around for the day.

only places you'll see them is at home grown places and even most of them don't have them because of exactly what we are talking about hahaha. i ask subaru everytime to give me something with a stick as a loaner and they just laugh. i honestly feel if i bring a turbo manual car in i should get at least a turbo or a manual to drive around for the day.

I agree. If only dealers felt the same. When I used to bring my wifes lexus in for work at the dealer I always used to get a camry as a loaner. Somehow just not the same thing.

I agree. If only dealers felt the same. When I used to bring my wifes lexus in for work at the dealer I always used to get a camry as a loaner. Somehow just not the same thing.

I used to have a modded IS300 and they'd give me a grandma gold ES300 as a loaner. I was ashamed to be seen in it.

Audi feels that way. my GF's dad has an S4 he has gotten drive all of the A's (other than the A8L), an S4, an S3, and a Q3 from all of his warranty/maintenance visits.

side note: Audi has a pretty legit maintenance package you can get with a new car to include everything up to (i think) the 75K service. it'd be nice to have all maintenance paid up front like that.

So I want to do this soon, i plan to get that gusset off tonight then install next week, but I'm real worried about filling my foot well with brake fluid so i think I'm going to drain it all before i take it apart then change it out and refill. who thinks its gonna be a total pain in the ARSE to bleed the entire system?

REEG I know you did this. did you find it worth it or not.

to those who didn't drain, did it gush much?

I used a turkey baster to get all the fluid out of the reservoir first, if you don't, it just keeps running out of the disconnected hardline piping at the damper. Then I put an old pair of folded up jeans and t-shirt down in the footwell, along with a few paper towels to soak up the fluid fast. Just look at where its gonna drip from or run down and keep some fresh paper towels handy. It's really not that much fluid, maybe an ounce. Crack all the connections open and loosen them a little, walk away for 10 minutes while it drains out and then come back to finish the removal. Wipe things down good and reinstall. After you've go it all reinstalled and the connections tight, soak a paper towel with Brakleen and wipe the piping, connections and everything down well to remove any residual fluid. Bleed the clutch, go for a drive, check the connections for weeping leaks. Done.

This is now a definite for me. I just had a new clutch installed along with my rebuilt transmission. On a side not I discovered that I have the sts short shifter and the perrin bushings as well. Anyway, my clutch was real worn before and it somehow was much easier to drive. Now that I have the new clutch I feel like an idiot trying to drive. The engagement is all over the place. I even stalled today. Talk about feeling like an idiot.

I will be ordering the part monday and plan on doing it next weekend. Sounds like it will be well worth it.

Brendan

So after a few days of driving with the delete, shifting is better. I don't feel like a noob trying to guess where the engagement point is. Like others have said, quick shifting is much much more smooth. It feels like second nature now vs having to really think about it with the stock setup. Overall I am very happy and also like others I wished I had done this sooner.

Doing my delete now thought Gteaser you would want to add this step for those with a vacuum bleeder. You can drain the fluid mostly out by cracking the bleeder port and sucking it dry.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/02/c62d170fc9a4afa265985cfe599fcb04.jpg

All done, and yes folks I can now feel my clutch like the car gods intended lol. My engagement is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. Side note on the clutch pedal, it is spring loaded up and down so if you hit it it will pop to the floor and stay there and you will get residual fluid all over your under dash area luckily only loosened the front line off the damper and just the back of the dash cover got hit. Easy cleanup with some brakleen on a towel (tip from the Gteaser).

Otherwise a great mod well worth the time and money, and this may just be my enthusiasm but the pedal seems easier to push. Many thanks to you Reeg for making the how-to so I didn't accidentaly start this without a good line wrench. Harbor freight has a decent set for 11.99 and they fit nice and snug on the flare fittings so no slipping.

Maybe they have gotten better since then. This is the set I got, I'm a big fan of good tools but when it comes to limited use ones like these good quality takes a back seat to price but these are better made than I would expect for 10 bucks. I would think the fitting would break long before one of these wrenches.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/02/f8d6468cef88aa49b53c95e139745790.jpg

^^That's the exact set I originally bought and the 10mm snapped like a piece of dried out bread. Others including RailKill here have bought those only to suffer the same fate that I did. The Craftsman ones were visibly much higher quality, heavier and more dense of an alloy than those, and fit tighter on the fitting.

You really won't ever be able to do much with those, I chucked the remainder of my set. Just keep this in mind and guard your knuckles if you ever use them again.