LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Just wanted to resurrect this thread to let Opie know...great instructions! Complete noob here, did the oil change this weekend...messy...but no major problems. I might even spring to install the fumoto next time since it is such a mess. Now only if they made a fumoto for the oil filter (kidding...) that thing was a mess to remove!

Loosen the O/F just enough to know you can hand loosen it the rest of the way, place a drain pan under it, then pop some openings in it with a flat blade screwdriver or better.

Let drain over night, it'll be "dry" by morning. Remove and replace.

The Fumoto is great; get the nipple version and you can direct the flow via 3/8" ID tubing. Works great over night too.

I was told by the parts guy at the Subie dealer, that we should be using the genuine subaru filter. He said they made some changes to the part, and that by going with an aftermarket solution, the right amount of pressure might not be present, and cause leaks. Take that info FWIW, because at $10.50 for the Mobil 1 filter, that is more expensive than the OEM part.

IMO the new filter sucks. I've been using it a few times now just to get rid of the ones i had, i think i'll be switching on the next go.

The size may be better, but the gasket they switched to using blows. Its barely sitting above the lip. Thats part of the reason they have to crank it on there, otherwise it wouldn't seal.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally just did my first change. The dealer did the first three while in for various warranty work.

After all the hype about the messy flow out of the drain...that was nothing. It went right into my foot-wide collection tray. No splashing, and I don't think it even dripped on the plastic under tray. I think my last VW made more mess.

Now the filter. Yikes. Even though it is vertical, that thing just spews oil down the sides before you can get it completely unscrewed. Yuck. I'm going to have to try puncturing it first.

I'll pass on the Fumoto valve. That was the least of my mess.

Altogether, everything was easily reachable without raising the car at all (stock height). I'm giving Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 a try this time after burning through 1+ qts Mobil1 5W-30 over the past 4,500 miles.

--Lee

Now the filter. Yikes. Even though it is vertical, that thing just spews oil down the sides before you can get it completely unscrewed. Yuck. I'm going to have to try puncturing it first.

I changed the oil yesterday, and tried out a new trick (at least for me) for dealing with the filter. I used a big disposable solo plastic cup around the filter. You can still squeeze enough to get the filter off, and all the oil stays in the cup.

I changed the oil yesterday, and tried out a new trick (at least for me) for dealing with the filter. I used a big disposable solo plastic cup around the filter. You can still squeeze enough to get the filter off, and all the oil stays in the cup.

I had planned on trying this the next time I do mine. My roommate has the same problem with his Tacoma's vertical filter.

that is frickin' brilliant! why didn't i think of it? thank you for that tip! i've got an oil change to do this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

5w-30 is thinner than 10w-30 and is therefore better in terms of cold starts and fuel economy, compared to 10w-30 which protects the engine better when you drive hard and at high rpms.

I'm replying to an older post, but I read this and had to respond to clear things up a bit.

The difference between 5w30 and 10w30 (5w vs. 10w) only really pertains to cold starts, particularly in winter temperatures. It doesn't really have any affect on fuel economy.

In terms of fuel economy and engine protection under hard driving and/or high load, a 5w30 = 10w30. When either of these oils reaches normal operating temperature, both will behave like a 30-weight oil.

Just thought I'd offer some info that I gathered over time from oil analysis info and related sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Great instructions, but only one problem (for me)!

Have any other Australians followed these instructions? For the life of me I cannot find the 5 pop clips. It seems that there is one large undercover plastic body that is held with atleast 4 large metal philips head screws...a small wrench socket will fit as well.

I've tried with a philips head screwdriver and even with wrench screwdriver and cannot get one off.

I'm just wondering if any other Aussies have gotten to their oil filter and if so how?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, did the search thing, no entries apparently for Aeroquip's Quick-Drain. After reviewing this thread it looks like there are issues with the Fumoto drain hitting a cross-member in some Legacy's, apparently :iam:

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/jc215.pdf

There's an application chart, but I'll be dipped if I know how to figure out the "Thread Size" of the Subaru oil plug/pan. Any ideas, thoughts?

Given the dimensions it looks like this wouldn't have the same issues with mysterious cross-member.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Not on the 2.5i. No underbody panel for us.

Hmmm, sounds like someone is missing something. My '06 2.5i has the full underbody panel. The biggest concern I would have w/o the panel is engine cooling, since the panel would help create a venturi effect under the car and help draw the air from the engine compartment and through the radiator.

The knuckleheads down at the local quick change let the filter drain onto her '02 Forester underbelly pan, since it doesn't have an access panel for the filter. I must have scrapped out 2 lbs of oil/dirt buildup from the top side of her cover the other night when I changed her oil. Now I know why her car left some oil drips on the ground for a few days after an oil change.

ZinFreak...that Aeroquip fitting is pretty cool. It looks like the female fitting has a barb fitting on the end of it that you could put a hose onto. This would allow you to direct the oil right into the oil pan and avoid any splashes. Where would one pick one of these up and how much $$?? :confused:

WhatV8:

I found some cross references on other auto forums speaking of them, for instance, here's one from a Probe forum (can't believe people would be talking about Ford Probes :lol:)

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701127566

Looks like they can be found for around $60.

Found similar results on a Mazda 6 forum.

I've heard of Aeroquip from the aviation industry and they are used on aircraft engines which are usually a bitch to change the oil on. I found references from places like Aircraft Spruce and Specialty for $400.00. Yes Four Hundred :icon_surp I guess that's for one that has an FAA id # on it.

I'll keep digging, hopefully someone knows the size and thread type of the Legacy oil plug.

Be Well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Quick dumb question.

My 2.5RS didn't require me to jack up or raise the car to get to the oil drain plug. Would that also be the case with the LGT's? Just wondering if changing the oil on these cars are just as easy. By the looks of the photos (and probably my own lack of depth perception while looking at them, LOL), it sorta looks possible. I was reading through this thread and I didn't see anything mentioned about whether or not anyone jacked up the car.

I don't jack my LGT up for oil changes/oil drain. I'm fairly slender though and it takes a bit of contorting to get to the drain plug w/o jacking the car up.

Archived