LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

Did my first oil change today @ 2300 miles.. i got lazy @ 1k, then i got busy.. ANYWAYS... super easy! love the placement of the oil filter.. IT WAS ON SOOO TIGHT!! couldn't get it off. i need to work out! had to ask my neighbor to help me get it filter off..

i did not get the splashing that everybody said they got.. it drained nicely..

but woohoo!!

used dino oil.. wait til 7.5-10k.. will start using full synth then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't jack my LGT up for oil changes/oil drain. I'm fairly slender though and it takes a bit of contorting to get to the drain plug w/o jacking the car up.

Dude if a tire goes flat while you're under there....:icon_surp

• 3 weeks later...
Wow that was much more work than I care to do. First, I couldn't crawl under the car. I'm 5'9" 175lbs, not exactly fat. I couldn't even fit my head under the car. 7 1/2 hat size. So maybe that's it? Well anyway, jacked it up with the spare tire jack and put blocks of wood under the car. Then had to use all my might and a few tools to loosen the damn filter and plug (3rd oil change so shouldn't have been so tight). Then it drained like an exploding bladder. blah blah blah. I think i'll just pay the dealer to change the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

this is sort of a side question.

first of all, let me emphesize that i am just all thumbs. the fact that i did an oil change is amazing. i guess the thing is getting there so i can do things myself.

that said... i've been reading up on synth oil and the weak link is usually the filter not being able to do its job while the oil is still good. many of the peeps here have been doing 8k oil changes w/ filter changes @ 4k.

my question is, can i change the filter w/out the spilling out everywhere? is there just the oil in the filter reserve?? or once i remove the filter, i have to get the new one in there as quickly as i can?

thanks in advance.

late,

k

Whew! I changed the oil / filter in my 06 Outback last night (Mobil 1 and OEM filter), and I was really stymied by the filter removal. It's not that it was terribly hard to unscrew (eventually), but that it is completely tucked away and nestled on all sides by what looks like exhaust manifold. Finally yanked it out with a channel lock and crushed it pretty bad, but I was able to tighten the replacement to SOA's specs just using my hand, thank God.

Is anyone using Synthetic oil? My LGT have 5000 on it and I'm planning on changing the oil next weekend. I'm not used to the whole turbo thing yet. I don't want to blow it up.

That's all I use.

So far,

Mobil 1 10w-30 (pre-EP product, the current one might have less additive) (the least consumption)

Mobil 1 TSUV 5w-40 (discontinued product) (fair amount of consumption)

Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 (fair amount of consumption)

Vavoline Maxlife 10w-30 - in there now. (no consumption yet, 1,000 miles)

Mobil 1 oil filters.

You don't get the blackening nearly as bad as with dinosaur juice, and can run longer (I don't exceed 7.500 miles).

• 4 weeks later...
Well I just did my first oil change on the LGT this morning and I wish I read this thread first. Holy crap I thought I made a HUGE mistake! I have never seen oil come out like that, it was almost like it was under pressure. Oil filter was wicked tight...I eventually got it (obviously) but the filter wrench I had was useless, I'l have to pick up a smaller one for next time. Besides the scare the change was painless but there was one thing I realized I do not like. The damn dipstick has the low and full marker hole dead center but the hot full is a notch. This notch tens to grab bits of what ever your wiping your stick with. I think sometime when I get a chance I will take those corners off so it doesn't grab so easily. Anyone have another suggestion?

Did my first oil change on the legacy too, wasnt too bad. Only trouble I had was removing the bolt to drain the oil. That sucker was on there tight!! Had to bang the wrench with the hammer to get it off. The oil filter came off easily with the filter wrench. All in all took me about 30 minutes. Would have been quicker if I had the ramps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sorry if this was already mentioned (only read half of the thread), but I recommend you pour oil in the new filter before you start. After you fill it the first time and let it sits a few minutes, it looks dry in there because it all soakes into the filter material. I had to fill up the filter 3 times before it stayed full. I topped it off between each of the other steps.

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine here:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

The valve lever location will be hit or miss based upon the threads. In my particular case, if I used the standard Subaru crush washer, the valve lever would be inaccessible, but when I used the fabric washer included with the valve, it worked just fine. YMMV.

i just took my fumoto valve off my 06 LGT and transferred it to my 05 LGT.

the fit was great on the 06 with no clearance problems whatsoever. on the 05, though, the clearance was really, really close. around a thin sheet of paper depth. thank God it cleared and tightening took some creative steps, as well.

i'm excited to have it on because its so much easier to change oil with it!

Hey guys, I just did my first oil change on my legacy and found the OE filter is about the same size or smaller than even honda cars i've owned in the past. That's a 1.5L to a 2.5L using a smaller filter?! Some of the guys I used to run with would use an aftermarket one that was "oversized" for better flow. I was planning on doing this with mine once I saw how tiny the filter was.

I was originally planning on running a WIX filter anyhow, nothing against OE, but I've seen cut-outs of the WIX and it's a very well-made filter. Anyhow, if you buy a NAPA Gold filter it's the same as a WIX, and NAPA oil is the same as Valvoline, fyi.

Turns out the NAPA Gold filter was already probably 30% greater in size, so I didn't need to find a cross-reference of threads to find an oversized filter for my car.

I guess in simpler terms if you want an oversized filter just buy a NAPA Gold filter, which is made by WIX. And if you want good cheap oil NAPA oil is made by Valvoline.

TIP: Oh and about the actual changing of the oil, first I jacked up the car and put them on jack stands, drained the oil, but I KNEW there was still old oil inside so, I took the passenger side jack out while supporting it with a hydraulic jack, i lowered the passenger tires to the ground and VOILA got a bit more of the old oil out!

BONUS TIP: for stubborn filter removal, use a piece of sandpaper wrapped around the filter, NEVER had a problem removing one, shouldn't anyway because it is 1 complete turn of the filter after it is seated.

I bit the bullet and got the Nippled fumoto and am relieved that I didn't have any fitment issues. It is well within the plastic shroud and doesn't come close to hitting any underbody components.

Also a note for the guide, I noticed on my 06 LGT that there are only 3 screws and a 'hinge' screw on the panel that covers the oil filter.

Archived