LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

mlrtime -

If you're decently handy around the house, you'll be fine. :)

Take your time, read everything thoroughly - and have all the proper tools handy. This is all key to having a great time on your first oil-change, for ANY car.

Certainly, you may be looking at a $50 to $100 investment in tools (including at least a semi-decent jack and jack-stands), but it'll be well worth it.

Having a friend who has worked on cars - any car - who is willing to either oversee you or to directly guide you would be icing on the cake.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great instructions.

I just changed my own oil for the first time.. it was painless, 'cept for the relatively hot oil splashing all around creating a hot gooey mess. Luckily enough the catch pan I had was relatively large.

I think I'll be investing in my own jack stands and jack.

Is anyone using Synthetic oil? My LGT have 5000 on it and I'm planning on changing the oil next weekend. I'm not used to the whole turbo thing yet. I don't want to blow it up.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Great instructions.

I just changed my own oil for the first time.. it was painless, 'cept for the relatively hot oil splashing all around creating a hot gooey mess.

seriously, that is no joke :lol:, i just changed my oil right now (5w-30 mobil 1 syn),

and hot oil splashed everywhere except on the cardboard i put down under the oil tray.... its like the outlet was designed to spray oil when draining....

• 4 weeks later...
Does the car need to be jacked up and on stands? Does that affect the draining of all the oil? I want to try this in my driveway but am unsure if I can get away without jacking the car up. Plus, part of my driveway is inclined and the other part is flat. Is there a recommended slope to help with oil draining?

Does the car need to be jacked up and on stands? Does that affect the draining of all the oil? I want to try this in my driveway but am unsure if I can get away without jacking the car up. Plus, part of my driveway is inclined and the other part is flat. Is there a recommended slope to help with oil draining?

You only need to jack up the car if you or your drain pan can’t fit under the car. I haven’t needed to jack up my car to change the oil.

If the car can’t be flat, I guess it would be better to have it angled towards the driver’s side since that is where the drain plug is located.

• 4 weeks later...

^ No problems here (I just did both Winky and my wifey's Rex this past weekend), but definitely, in the winter months, this might be an issue during dis-install/re-install.

For how cheap these Pop-Its are, though, it would be a good idea to have some spares on-hand.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I HATE those clips, I've lost two already removing the engine cover to check the trans. oil. Once you drop one, it apparantly re-appears in another dimension, probably the same one socks go to when you put them in the dryer, never to be found again.

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing an oil change on my old school Legacy. I use a heavier weight than normal, Castrol 15-40. I don't have a problem with starts at all using it.

I'll be looking at 10-40 or even 10-50(!) for my next change, just for the hell of it.

Heh, I was going to try some 10-40 now, but I totally forgot and got the 15-40 instead (el stupido).

Also doing gearbox too. Rear diff will come later.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my own oil for the first time today (3rd oil change for car) using ramps. Big-time mess, I splattered oil everywhere. Other than that, and the drain plug being really tight, everything went well. I installed a Fumoto valve so next time should be much cleaner. I will also put a bag around the filter before I take it off next time. The falling oil lands in the drain pan but still splatters out.

Used a Subie filter (they gave me a white 09A this time, last time was black A100) and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Thanks for the write-up Opie, I had my laptop out there with me for reference.

I just changed my oil today too. The oil drain plug was a bitch to remove. I guess that's what happens when it's being removed since the 11 months, I've owned it.:lol:

Anyone know what size oil filter cap wrench fits the OE filters? Looks bigger than a "B" which I had.

Thanks for the writeup Opie!

Did the car's first oil change; I swear I have never seen oil come out of a pan that fast - ever! It must have drained half the pan in a span of 10 seconds!

Oil was black as hell though. 3044 miles on the clock. I'm going to follow the schedule for the next change. If it looks as bad again, I'm going to go to 1,500 mile oil drains. It might be the short trips to work.

Thanks again Opie!

Thanks for the writeup Opie!

Did the car's first oil change; I swear I have never seen oil come out of a pan that fast - ever! It must have drained half the pan in a span of 10 seconds!

Oil was black as hell though. 3044 miles on the clock. I'm going to follow the schedule for the next change. If it looks as bad again, I'm going to go to 1,500 mile oil drains. It might be the short trips to work.

Thanks again Opie!

Black oil means it is doing its job! :)

Black oil means it is doing its job! :)

It could also mean there is an unhealthy amount of unburned fuel from the short trips I tend to take (to and from work, for instance). I also live on the Gulf Coast of Florida; beach sand is everywhere and with the errosion of the dunes and Sea Oats from the hurricanes, the stuff doesn't need much of an excuse to get into the air and onto the roadways.

Definatly going to do an oil analysis with the next change to see what exactly is going on.

Black oil isn't necessarily bad, it just means the oil is doing it's job. I've noticed my oil does seem to get black a lot quicker with the LGT than other cars I've owned. M1 seems to blacken the quickest from what I've seen, within 1k miles. The oil I have in my crankcase now (2 qts. Havoline dino, 2.5 qts. Havoline synth) didn't get really dark till I had around 2.5k on it.

^ Hard to say, bro.

My musclecar buddy here at work likes to drain his oil cold, after a night's worth of sit-time. His reasoning is that would get out, as much as possible, the oil that's coating engine internals while it's still warm/hot.

Me? I like to do it after the car's up to operating temps ( as-indicated by our gauge cluster meter, albeit from a cold start, since I don't particularly enjoy skin grafts :lol: ), as the oil just flows better. I know that my practice, on both the wifey's Rex and my Winky, nets just about *all* volume fed into the vehicle at the previous fill-up, maybe less by a quarter of a quart, at most.

Dunno...personal preference, I guess. :)

I broke down and got impatient and had the dealer do it yesterday. $28 for the work using Mobil1 I brought them. Seems a bit steep. Had to wait an hour too, but got to chat with the SOA tech rep again who was there hanging out. Next time I get clutch stink, he wants me to call him ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

when i first got my car i changed oil @3000 miles i think...i brought the car to a local mechanic shop...after they raise the car up, i could've swear it took them 20 min, 3 mechanics standing below my car trying to locate where the hell the filter is :lol: i was outside staring at them...

now they're more experienced, going in and out under 30 min

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

That's funny... cause on the underbody there's a panel labeled "OIL FILTER" :lol:

Changed the oil this weekend myself (7500mile service) and switched to synth. Used the Fumoto valve and it was soooo painless :D

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Archived