LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

Thanks for the excellent write up.

I did mine this weekend, Mobile1 5W30 and oem filter and crush washer. It's super simple on this car, I love that about this car. If you've ever owned a Passat you'll appreciate how easy the Subie is! :)

My only problems - the oil filter was way too tight and the oil drain plug was insanely tight, my dealership did the last oil change. Wow.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I changed the oil yesterday, and tried out a new trick (at least for me) for dealing with the filter. I used a big disposable solo plastic cup around the filter. You can still squeeze enough to get the filter off, and all the oil stays in the cup.

Nice one dude:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
what a nightmare :(... i dont think any of the other changes will be that bad. my car has only had one change (when the dealer had it) and whoever put the filter on last time thought they were in the worlds strongest man competition. i fought the filter for an hour before it came off. first i open the new filter (oem) and its black and not white like whats on the car. so i call and he explains they switched them out. the plug comes out easy ( i love that plug btw) and then i try the filter and no luck. i dont have a filter socket for that size, but i do my new one. so i try an old socket and bang it on, then a wrap wrench, then a screw driver, then a pipe wrench. by this time the filter looks like it seen action in war. so my last attempt i called for help and we both cranked on it with a wrap wrench with sandpaper under it to get traction. it finally came off. so after an hour, bleeding hands and oil all over my face and upper body it came off. lets hope that was only a one time thing. :icon_mrgr

they didnt seem to mess them up...i was worried about that. i think they also might have forgot to oil the new seal, so it was a combination of factors that made it stuck on. i havent ever had to put a screw driver through a filter before, i was really afraid to...:hide: but it all worked out. the subie really is an easy car to get to everything on. :woowoo:

• 2 months later...
What is the reason for replacing the crush washer?

Is this a Subaru thing?

I've never heard of doing that when performing an oil change (and I've changed quite a few hundred gallons of oil in my time).

I've done 5 oil changes on my '06 LGT so far and I haven't replaced the crush washer yet. I do not have any leaks underneath my car. It is garaged and I would have noticed oil on the floor by now. I only changed the crush washer once so far (almost 90k miles) on my '99 Outback.

I don't believe that they need to be changed at every oil change.

I've done 5 oil changes on my '06 LGT so far and I haven't replaced the crush washer yet. I do not have any leaks underneath my car. It is garaged and I would have noticed oil on the floor by now. I only changed the crush washer once so far (almost 90k miles) on my '99 Outback.

I don't believe that they need to be changed at every oil change.

Your warranty is now void.

It is still ugly.

on a different note,

i was thinking about this since i did an oil change last night. i read lots of people complaining that our leggies spill oil everywhere when we do an oil change. for those who do not have a fumoto valve i think i have a solution.

i never had this problem and i think i know why. usually when i do my oil change, i always open the oil cap on top. there is no 'vacumn' per say and the oil just flows out evenly..

i don't know.. it is just a thought.. maybe the next time one of you who usually see the oil spill everywhere try it.. it doesn't cost anything and opening the hood and taking the cap off is like 30 seconds..

give it try.. love to hear it..

late,

k

on a different note,

i was thinking about this since i did an oil change last night. i read lots of people complaining that our leggies spill oil everywhere when we do an oil change. for those who do not have a fumoto valve i think i have a solution.

i never had this problem and i think i know why. usually when i do my oil change, i always open the oil cap on top. there is no 'vacumn' per say and the oil just flows out evenly..

i don't know.. it is just a thought.. maybe the next time one of you who usually see the oil spill everywhere try it.. it doesn't cost anything and opening the hood and taking the cap off is like 30 seconds..

give it try.. love to hear it..

late,

k

I do take the filler cap off. My issue was that the drain stream of oil would hit the under tray and splash everywhere.

It is still ugly.

I do take the filler cap off. My issue was that the drain stream of oil would hit the under tray and splash everywhere.

hmmm.. then maybe you under carriage is mis-aligned?? when the oil drains, it pours right out of the hole and never hits any of the plastic molding..

hmmm.. then maybe you under carriage is mis-aligned?? when the oil drains, it pours right out of the hole and never hits any of the plastic molding..

I checked and the plastic under tray is majorly misaligned...it is in the garage attic...never to be seen again by me I hope. :icon_bigg

It is still ugly.

Did mine on my Outback XT. Drove the passenger side up on a ramp to aid in draining and reaching. Put in Amsoil 0w-30 and their filter. The oil flies out for sure, but in a good stream with the oil filler cap off. No getting on the shroud as I had the pass side lifted. Also after reading this thread, I punched a hole in the oil filter to help, no troubles with spilling. Overall, this is a really nice setup car.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more expensive (about $10) but the K&N filter (1008) has a cap on the 'top' that is for use with a 1" (I think, may be 15/16) socket so that you can use a wrench to at least remove and tighten it.

Also for draining, replace the plug with a FUMOTO valve. Once done you never have to remove it because it has a small ball valve. I use the one with a nipple so that I can attach a piece of tubing and control the draining.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know if dealers usually prime the oil filter before installing it?

i wouldn't mind paying for a dealer to do it, but if they don't prime the oil filter (which i understand hurts the engine because of a dry start), then i'm going to bite the bullet and do it myself.

i wouldn't mind paying for a dealer to do it, but if they don't prime the oil filter (which i understand hurts the engine because of a dry start), then i'm going to bite the bullet and do it myself.

I would doubt it. Many places use large oil pumps to fill your oil. I don't think they would take the time to carefully put in 300mL of oil in your filter.

• 4 weeks later...
Did my change today. I installed my Sard magnetic drain plug, K&N filter, and Greddy oil. That filter was a b!tch to get off, I had to really put my weight for leverage to it. Kinda cool greddy oil is a cool pleasing blue! Oil did go everywhere to, I must be the champion of oil change messes. The oil box overflowed. The company packed it to tight.

Originally Posted by rvlmtfnk viewpost.gif

top off your filter? i worked at a dealer and we never did any such thing. i do have one question though. my 06lgt consumes 1.5qt+ of oil every 7500 miles... is this normal? i mean i have seen saturns eating 1 qt every 3grand so it dont seem too bad, but im running 5-30 mobil 1 with a synthetic filter. seems a tad off for a car with 18k.

Archived