LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove Foresters with cable MT and HT CVT. I liked the latter by a mile.

I like decent MTs for the feeling of being connected to the engine/transmission. Cable-based MT doesn't give me that feeling.

FXT CVT is much better than regular CVTs. When floored, it was taking revs right to the HP peak and stayed there throughout acceleration. Regular automatics usually annoy me by their gear-shifting patterns, there was nothing to be annoyed here. If I were to track HT CVT, I guess I might find that the rpm drop during cornering/braking annoying, and a 'manual' mode having all the faults of a regular automatic, but for DDing I suspect I won't hate HT CVT as much as would hate a sloppy feel-less MT.

On the CVT if you use the manual paddle shifters it will stay on that gear no matter what. The paddle shifters are actually enjoyable on a CVT.

---

I drove Foresters with cable MT and HT CVT. I liked the latter by a mile.

I like decent MTs for the feeling of being connected to the engine/transmission. Cable-based MT doesn't give me that feeling.

FXT CVT is much better than regular CVTs. When floored, it was taking revs right to the HP peak and stayed there throughout acceleration. Regular automatics usually annoy me by their gear-shifting patterns, there was nothing to be annoyed here. If I were to track HT CVT, I guess I might find that the rpm drop during cornering/braking annoying, and a 'manual' mode having all the faults of a regular automatic, but for DDing I suspect I won't hate HT CVT as much as would hate a sloppy feel-less MT.

Hard to do a direct comparison on the Forester since the MT comes with the low-power engine, and the HT CVT with the DIT engine...

As for behavior of the CVT, I would think that could be programmed - I am curious if as folks tune the new cars, if they can adjust the behavior of the CVT as well - this will be an issue, as the power curve is pretty flat for the DIT (or 5th gen LGT, for that matter) in stock trim, but will not be that way when tuned, so while having the engine at 3500rpm in stock trim (just a guess - I have no idea what the actual rpm it holds at) it might be better to hold at 4500 rpm for a tuned engine...

It's a cable-actuated MT from legacy/forester.

Yes. However I read somewhere that this tranny has actually mechanical linkage on the Forester, not cable like on 10+ Legacy.

On the CVT if you use the manual paddle shifters it will stay on that gear no matter what. The paddle shifters are actually enjoyable on a CVT.

Except when you are doing sharp turns, then the paddles are in the wrong position.

453747.png

The profile on the rear quarter window makes it look like what the 5th gen LGT should have been.

Edit: lol I was typin while you were posting. Great minds.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The profile on the rear quarter window makes it look like what the 5th gen LGT should have been.

Edit: lol I was typin while you were posting. Great minds.

Pretty much everything about the car says Legacy to me. The front-end shape, that grille, those headlights, the overall dimensions and geometry of the car. It also has the unmistakable WRX features such as that large gaping hood scoop and the bulging fenders/quarter panels.

I think for the Legacy enthusiast it's now become a matter of what badge is on the car, which ultimately shouldn't matter. We liked the Legacy for what it was as a car.

So if Subaru has decided it needs a Camry-esque car in its stable and the Legacy made sense to carry that philosophy, so be it. My eyes are now set on the new WRX.

Archived