LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a false dichotomy. Fact supported by autocritics

It IS a false dichotomy and now you are setting up a strawman argument.

You objected to us being concerned over looks instead of focusing more on how the car performs, and my rebuttal is basically there is nothing saying it is impossible to have a car that both looks good and performs good at the same time. That's where your false dichotomy comes from. You're saying either or.

If we agree on the performance, you are then saying the argument is over. Me/we/us/others/whatever are saying we also want to have a discussion over the design of the vehicle and you are saying that's a childish thing to do. I want you to think of any car that you like both the way it looks and the way it performs and apply that to what I am saying.

And I find it somewhat funny to see you link an article to ten fast but ugly cars and use it as fact to support the argument, when not long ago when a similar article was presented and the 5th Gen Legacy was on it, you got butthurt.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-makes-top-10-ugliest-cars-216063.html

If you are going to use that argument then the one that extends to the Legacy applies just the same. You either accept both or neither.

And by the way congratulations at stirring the pot. Thread was doing great without your intervention.

It IS a false dichotomy and now you are setting up a strawman argument.

You objected to us being concerned over looks instead of focusing more on how the car performs, and my rebuttal is basically there is nothing saying it is impossible to have a car that both looks good and performs good at the same time. That's where your false dichotomy comes from. You're saying either or.

If we agree on the performance, you are then saying the argument is over. Me/we/us/others/whatever are saying we also want to have a discussion over the design of the vehicle and you are saying that's a childish thing to do. I want you to think of any car that you like both the way it looks and the way it performs and apply that to what I am saying.

And I find it somewhat funny to see you link an article to ten fast but ugly cars and use it as fact to support the argument, when not long ago when a similar article was presented and the 5th Gen Legacy was on it, you got butthurt.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-makes-top-10-ugliest-cars-216063.html

If you are going to use that argument then the one that extends to the Legacy applies just the same. You either accept both or neither.

And by the way congratulations at stirring the pot. Thread was doing great without your intervention.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you. I'm sorry. You really missed the point and don't understand. :wub: I never got butthurt before...because I admit that the Legacy isn't that good looking. :) Maybe you missed that and only read part of the thread. Subaru's have rarely received accolades for their looks and the new WRX is just another in a long line. It was actually someone else who brought up the Toyota Corolla comparison and said Toyotas sell and aren't that bad looking. Don't single me out, go after him. I'm just supporting his position.

Nice ad hominem argument, but it doesn't bother me. :) I'm not bashing Subaru, they've never had a strong design team and have copied other cars for years. Never said it was impossible to have a good looking car that performed well either. That is just your strawman argument. Sounds like some people here want to keep complaining about Subarus looks. If that is the case, then go ahead. :)

With respect, but that appears to be an attempt to backpeddle. Look back when you originally posted in this thread, for the first time. Also look at your choice of words and content of your response. "You guys" seems pretty all-inclusive to me. Only after that response, to which by the way I was directly reply-ing to you, was the Corolla argument brought up, with which I entirely agree.

I never got butthurt before...because I admit that the Legacy isn't that good looking. :) Maybe you missed that and only read part of the thread

You're right, found the thread and saw that the intent was actually the reverse. And what I also found was the same inflamatory posts.

And you are also right that Subaru rarely received accolades. Whether or not the new WRX is just another in a long line is subjective.

I think the semblance between the new WRX as pictured above, to the 4th gen LGT is a little more than merely uncanny. I don't know what your opinion is of the design of the 4th gen, for some reason I suspect it's not a negative one ;)

Sounds like some people here want to keep complaining about Subarus looks. If that is the case, then go ahead

And if you continue to think that's a moot point, then go ahead and feel free to not flamebait :) Goes both ways.

It also brings to mind your thread regarding their marketing campaign. Disagree with it? Great, don't buy one.

With respect, but that appears to be an attempt to backpeddle. Look back when you originally posted in this thread, for the first time. Also look at your choice of words and content of your response. "You guys" seems pretty all-inclusive to me. Only after that response, to which by the way I was directly reply-ing to you, was the Corolla argument brought up, with which I entirely agree.

You're right, found the thread and saw that the intent was actually the reverse. And what I also found was the same inflamatory posts.

And you are also right that Subaru rarely received accolades. Whether or not the new WRX is just another in a long line is subjective.

I think the semblance between the new WRX as pictured above, to the 4th gen LGT is a little more than merely uncanny. I don't know what your opinion is of the design of the 4th gen, for some reason I suspect it's not a negative one ;)

And if you continue to think that's a moot point, then go ahead and feel free to not flamebait :) Goes both ways.

It also brings to mind your thread regarding their marketing campaign. Disagree with it? Great, don't buy one.

Thanks for verifying. I never said the Fifth gen was good looking.

I think this discussion somewhat parallels the fifth gen, but is more ironic since a WRXs are known for performance above all. If anything they have strove to be different.

The fourth gen Legacy was just another car to me. I had a euro sedan with many of the styling cues the fourth gen copied. I looked at the fourth gen as good looking, but nothing outstanding. Maybe if I came from another brand. The fourth gen never jumped out as this earth shattering design. It was a compiliation of other companies styling cues. A better mix than the fifth gen though. LOL Subaru seems to have trailing edge styling. Someone else hit the nail on the head that the new WRX took many of Mitsu's styling cues.

I think the semblance between the new WRX as pictured above, to the 4th gen LGT is a little more than merely uncanny.
You think the new WRX looks like the 4th gen LGT? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The new WRX looks pretty good to me - has a few things I think aren't a great idea (the leading edge of the hood looks a little weird - might look a little better if they extended it down to the grille - and the front bumper skin is huge! - you damage the thing and you are replacing the whole front end of the car!)

You think the new WRX looks like the 4th gen LGT?

No, I don't think so, I know so. Have a look at some shots side by side, you will see the resemblance. Overall shape, front-end, hood, grille, front bumper, headlights, etc.

Had SOA decided to go along the same design lines of the 4th gen, it would have turned into what the WRX is now.

So it's a complete and utter stretch to think that the silver one above is a more aggressive version of this thing.

Almost identical arch, A, B and C pillars and overall window shapes, same hood lines overall, very similar grille (same geometry), etc. Maybe a 2009 front-end lines help drive the point home.

Squint the headlights, pull on the grille outward, make the hood schoop larger.

IMAG0683.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/smaeda/lgt_1.jpg

Come to think of it and compare it to the new Legacy, SOA is taking a page out of the other manufacturers' book where the "design marque" of the brand translates across several model vehicles.

Here's the Levorg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/bepynyje.jpg

So it's a complete and utter stretch to think that the silver one above is a more aggressive version of this thing.

Dude - it looks like a rounded sedan similar to much of what's on the market today from a number of manufacturers, with a more aggressive body kit than the standard fare in the front. If you really want to consider its external appearance an evolution of the 4th gen Legacy, knock yourself out, but you could say the same thing about it being an evolution of the Corolla design or current generation Impreza (I think it's more like the latter, but that's just me) and probably be closer to reality.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/socalf4/20131122_124304.jpgI

love the silver. All this talk about corolla is BS. Not even. Just like the talk I heard with the Camry looks just like the Legacy GT comparison.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/socalf4/20131122_124342.jpg

It's actually funny - most small sedans share a similar profile - the Corolla is very similar to the Impreza, which is very, very similar to the WRX - in fact, aside from the scoop, the character lines on the hood of the WRX are much more like the '14 Corolla than the '14 Impreza. Why that's a bad thing, I don't quite understand, but it is what it is. The Volvo (at least the S60) being a modern sedan has the same basic profile, but seems more monolithic (sort of like a Fusion) than the Corolla/Impreza/WRX group. None are bad looking cars to me, and all have their plusses and minuses. Folks like a certain look, and car designs tend to gravitate towards that (since car manufacturers like to sell cars, and visual appeal can be important)

Getting back to the new WRX - thought this was interesting - they kept an oil cooler, but now it's up top with the filter. Love the built in boost gauge - about flippin' time they included something like that as standard with a turbocharged vehicle!

Capture.JPG.dde31b18722b35d1e43dd7cab157a83d.JPG

Archived