LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

Okay, some insight from Edmunds on CVT mpg:

This comes with at least one considerable caveat, however. Insiders at Subaru tell us CVT-equipped WRXs could have come to market with a 30 mpg highway rating, but that retaining the rating would be subject to a customer survey conducted by the EPA one year into ownership. It's a similar gamble to the one Hyundai famously lost last year.

The lower rating is the result of an EPA drive cycle that utilizes all three of the car's drive modes and the fact that those modes are retained through key cycles rather than defaulting to the most efficient setting. It's a compromise made in the name of performance, which says something about Subaru's commitment to the WRX's legacy.

The bottom line, said Subaru's Director of Corporate Communications Michael McHale, is that "we [subaru] believe the car will deliver 30 mpg on the highway, but we need to be conservative in this unique situation."

Also:

Pricing for the 2015 Subaru WRX will be announced in February 2014 and sales will begin in early April next year.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. This is my first post. How 'ru.

As a community service, I wanted to caution against judging aesthetics of a car based on a photo. Lightning, camera lens and perspective matters a great deal.

In particular, I cannot help but wonder how much the change of lens affected the perceived aesthetics gap between the WRX concept and 2015 WRX.

For your consideration, here is a photo of a cat. This is the same cat, shot with different lens.

https://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/a9dRN4j_460sa.gif

Thank you for your attention.

I just compared some of the AU pics linked to by WraithAkaMrak to their USDM equivalents. Its just sad how they re-used some of the same stock images and just colorized them to match the red USDM announcement model.

That plus of course the first few JDM/ADM vs USDM differences.

1. Front grill is different (no stupid wing in the JDM/ADM model, just a nice honeycomb, USDM model get part honeycomb, part wing)

2. Rear diffuser stop-light in the JDM/ADM model (lame plastic mesh in the USDM model)

3. No headlight washer nozzels in the USDM model bumper cover (we've seen this before on USDM 5th gen Legacy, etc. but I think it might suggest no factory HID on USDM WRX too, that would be sad).

4. Blacked out headlights (JDM/ADM) vs chrome/amber galore (USDM)

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/subaru-wrx-official-details-20131120-2xvjd.html

vs.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/all-new-2015-subaru-wrx-debuts-in-la.html

I get that, but over the years, nobody was able to crack the TCU on the current gens and gain access to the software to do a reflash. On a geared automatic you can mod the valve body to achieve faster shifting, but on a CVT we are talking about pulleys and a metal belt between them. What typically happens is the belt starts slipping or simply ends up generating a lot more heat than it can shed/handle and inevitably leads to failure.

So whereas on a geared automatic with a modified valve body you can achieve a significant torque-handling capacity, on a CVT ... not so much and not as easily.

I would be looking to get a CVT so I am simply trying to envision if Stage 2 is feasible and still keep the transmission reliable. I am not a fan of CVT for any performance-oriented vehicle

I get that, but over the years, nobody was able to crack the TCU on the current gens and gain access to the software to do a reflash. On a geared automatic you can mod the valve body to achieve faster shifting, but on a CVT we are talking about pulleys and a metal belt between them. What typically happens is the belt starts slipping or simply ends up generating a lot more heat than it can shed/handle and inevitably leads to failure.

So whereas on a geared automatic with a modified valve body you can achieve a significant torque-handling capacity, on a CVT ... not so much and not as easily.

I would be looking to get a CVT so I am simply trying to envision if Stage 2 is feasible and still keep the transmission reliable. I am not a fan of CVT for any performance-oriented vehicle

The Subaru CVT uses a chain, or pair of chains. I think it is pretty durable. It also likes to keep the car in the right power range. I think the tuning may have to change to fit the CVT, if that even makes sense.

---

Styling: meh. I just don't see "sport sedan" when I look at it. Especially when one of the goals of the new "WRX" is to distance it from the Impreza.

The Guts: Once again, I am proud of Subaru. When they announced the BRZ's 200hp 2.0 N/A engine, I was glad they decided to do it on a production level. Now, they do it again. I may have to go test drive one to believe the other handling "statements". But, I have faith they'll be pretty accurate. Keep pushing the performance FHI!

The Subaru CVT uses a chain, or pair of chains. I think it is pretty durable. It also likes to keep the car in the right power range. I think the tuning may have to change to fit the CVT, if that even makes sense.

Yeah, more or less the same thing. Then there's the difference between push vs pull style CVT, bottom line is when the torque output is notably higher than stock, the question is if the tension force put on the chain would cause it to slip. Essentially I personally would rather have a clutch. To repair/replace chain/pulleys or generally work on a CVT is, at the moment, still more expensive.

Oh well!

Get the manual! :hide:

Anything pushed past its specs will fail. I have a feeling that subaru has over built the transmission.

Also there is no shifting so the on and off torque transfer is not there anymore. It is hard to describe the feeling of driving the subaru cvt until you live with it. It is a really smooth transfer of power. I can make the engine go to redline in manual mode. I think the turbo will be happy.

---

When you test drive it just press on the accelerator half way and let it speed up. There is no jerking motion between gears. At first it feels like a slipping clutch until you get used to it. I think I will test drive it as well. It end up with one next year.
---

I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the car. I actually liked it from the beginning and never actually expected it to look exactly like the concept car. Look at the history of concept cars and the cars they spawned, they are always toned down because of you build a SSR or Prowler no one will buy them.

This car seems to have most of the design cues the concept car had but in toned down form that can actually be produced cost effectively and meet aerodynamic/fuel economy goals. Be happy it has a hood scoop because the fuel economy engineers probably did everything they could to get rid of it.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived