LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

Yeah, it does look like an amalgamation of all Japanese compacts. At the end of the day, the tendency is to create compact cars that have the interior volume of a midsized car and it is difficult to fit this into such a small package, which means shortened front and rear ends and tall greenhouses to maximize cabin space (anybody remember Chrysler's "cab-forward design" strategy if the late 90's?). This leads to a very frumpy appearance.

Subaru was supposed to ditch the WRX/STI's economy car roots with a newish platform for their new models and I am not seeing that here. I think if they use the platform from a BRZ as a starting point, increase the front clip to accomodate the additional length added to the drivetrain from putting a differential up front, and increase the wheelbase, width, and cabin height to accommodate 4 real adults, they would have a better platform for a real performance car. Put in a decent, sporty interior and have the pricing range from the upper $20K's for a stripper WRX and low $40K's for a fully loaded STi and you have a winner. The lower priced cars could compete with the new influx of entry level luxury sporty sedans like the A3, 1-Series, and CLA (only with less luxury and more performance) while the STi can compete with the higher strung version of these models (S3, 1-Series M Sport, and CLA-AMG). I am thinking around 260-280 hp for a 2.0 DI turbo in the WRX and a balls-to the wall version with 330hp+ in the STi.

Wait you mean Corolla/Scion Tc right? :hide::lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was confirmed somewhere that they extensively revised and shortened the Impreza chassis for this WRX/STi rather than use the existing architecture. Based on Subaru's blurb on page 1 I have very high hopes for this chassis+handling.

Sent from a box in my pocket.

Personally I'm a fan of this

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr120/sean-oz/My%20Subarus/My2011WidebodySTIWRX2-Door.jpg

Not bad at all. Given the right driveline and suspension it would be a potent gravel road eater. One size up from the BRZ. Now we are just missing someone willing to take it to the WRC. It has been a few years since Subaru has been involved in rallying now so the WRX model is a bit watered down.

453747.png

Yeah, it does look like an amalgamation of all Japanese compacts. At the end of the day, the tendency is to create compact cars that have the interior volume of a midsized car and it is difficult to fit this into such a small package, which means shortened front and rear ends and tall greenhouses to maximize cabin space (anybody remember Chrysler's "cab-forward design" strategy if the late 90's?). This leads to a very frumpy appearance.

Subaru was supposed to ditch the WRX/STI's economy car roots with a newish platform for their new models and I am not seeing that here. I think if they use the platform from a BRZ as a starting point, increase the front clip to accomodate the additional length added to the drivetrain from putting a differential up front, and increase the wheelbase, width, and cabin height to accommodate 4 real adults, they would have a better platform for a real performance car. Put in a decent, sporty interior and have the pricing range from the upper $20K's for a stripper WRX and low $40K's for a fully loaded STi and you have a winner. The lower priced cars could compete with the new influx of entry level luxury sporty sedans like the A3, 1-Series, and CLA (only with less luxury and more performance) while the STi can compete with the higher strung version of these models (S3, 1-Series M Sport, and CLA-AMG). I am thinking around 260-280 hp for a 2.0 DI turbo in the WRX and a balls-to the wall version with 330hp+ in the STi.

So you propose they add a more powerful engine, AWD, a better interior, and a completely new platform and keep it only marginally more expensive than a BRZ? I'm certainly in favor, but it doesn't seem realistic. I mean a base 2014 WRX is starting at what? 27K? and a base STI somewhere around 37? Those both being with the cheap, econo parts.

The truth. It hurts.

To be fair, I don't think the market was "ready" for the introduction of such radical and sharp lines. It would have scared away a lot of, let's call them "sedate" customers (and no I don't mean specifically old people, just the folks on the opposite spectrum of enthusiasts).

Now other car marques have similar designs out on the market now and the market is headed in that direction so I damn hope SOA will introduce something very close to the concepts.

The truth. It hurts.

To be fair, I don't think the market was "ready" for the introduction of such radical and sharp lines. It would have scared away a lot of, let's call them "sedate" customers (and no I don't mean specifically old people, just the folks on the opposite spectrum of enthusiasts).

Now other car marques have similar designs out on the market now and the market is headed in that direction so I damn hope SOA will introduce something very close to the concepts.

Hyundai's design is radical enough, and they sell really really well.

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

As soon as I see that option on the WRX order list, I'll believe it.

But in the mean time... :D AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Incoming manual vs. CVT arguments. :lol: LOLOLOL

Hyundai's design is radical enough, and they sell really really well.

And the natural follow-up question is "to what target audience".

They're not all the same and the Subaru being by and large a niche manufacturer, they have to tread carefully.

There are things that can be done to the outside to spiced it up a little if that's your thing, but I think it has a clean design much like the 4th gen Legacy does. The interior though... is beyond basic looking. Materials quality is up compared to the last gen Impreza, but I was really expecting something more interesting/upscale for the WRX variants.

Archived