LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

There's the Braum seats:

I personally would go with the black. They're like $700 though. .

With my ivory interior? that's going to look awful.

Yeah, Lake Erie. Well crap. That's not a quick drive by any means, haha. I know someone that has relatives down there. Maybe I'll PM you at some point, we can set a price and I could have them grab them. I'll let ya know.

Tim, you are tuned, you can get there fast! ;-)

Congrats on your new car, again [emoji14]

How far are you from the lake up here? I might pickup the struts instead of you having to ship them to someone.

Shipping for just the fronts should be relatively cheap. I shipped my Bilsteins, front and rear, across the country for like $40

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

The front struts I had are on their way to a new life filled with koni goodness. In case anyone was curious they weighed 22 lbs in a box with copious amounts of tape and air bladders. I think the box I used was 24x14x8 or something like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So what is the final breakdown now? I have a base model that needs serious suspension replacement. I thought about doing the outback conversion, but I don't have enough time now to get the car setup with it since I use it as my daily driver. So i rather go this route and get my suspesion done. Keep in my mind, i drive in nyc street, pothole heaven here.

So what was the final concensus on the parts? I see different route being done since parts are a bit scarce. I want to replace everything.

So what is the final breakdown now? I have a base model that needs serious suspension replacement. I thought about doing the outback conversion, but I don't have enough time now to get the car setup with it since I use it as my daily driver. So i rather go this route and get my suspesion done. Keep in my mind, i drive in nyc street, pothole heaven here.

So what was the final concensus on the parts? I see different route being done since parts are a bit scarce. I want to replace everything.

Sounds like being in NY and wanting to stay stock height or higher, perhaps KYB replacements would be your best bet.

So I've been trying to track down the front end rattles since I installed the Konis a couple months ago. I think they may have existed when I had the Bilstein/Black combo, but it was such a stiff setup that the entire car made noise on bumps. The rattle comes from both sides of the front end, and mostly only happens over larger bumps such as potholes. I can feel it in my feet when I hit bumps on the driver side.

Here's where I'm at with troubleshooting:

New tophats were installed with the Konis in September. Conical washers and top spring perch are in the correct orientation. The bolt on the bottom of the donors are tight. Donors were not cut too short as the nubs on the inserts are well below the top of the donor top. When I assembled the struts, I made sure the inserts bottomed out inside of the donor strut tubes.

A few weeks ago I made the switch from RCE springs to Eibach. When doing so, I inspected the area around the top of the donor to make sure there was no movement. The yellow paint on the insert was still in great condition and there was no evidence of the insert moving around inside the donor. (I recently found the post in the technical threads where the guy cut the donors too short and you can see that the paint on the Koni has rubbed off).

One member mentioned that the bolts on the bottom of the insert could be bottoming out inside of hole which would give the insert some vertical play inside the donor. The lack of paint scraping on the insert says this isn’t happening. I was going to get some shorter bolts when I had everything apart, but since there was no paint damage, I opted in not doing so, which was a dumb decision on my part. Since the rattles persisted after removing the struts and swapping springs, I can pretty much rule out loose bolts on the struts, top hat, etc.

I had the 14+ sway bar installed a year and a half ago with new bushings and new oem endlinks, so all of that is new. I’ve checked all nuts/bolts and everything is tight.

I have a set of new moog endlinks that I’ve thought about installing, but the current ones need to be cut off (thanks road salt) and I’m not about to crawl around on a slush/salt covered cold garage floor while it’s 5 below zero outside. I would assume that the rock hard Bilstein/Black combo on super rough roads could destroy endlinks rather quickly. Visually, the boots on the links are ok. No tears, no leaking grease.

My mechanic has looked over the front end and cannot find the source. I’m thinking maybe control arm bushings, but the car only has 59k on it. They still visually look ok. No deep cracks, etc. Would tie rod ends or ball joints make noise? Again, low mileage car, but the Bilsteins/rough roads could have prematurely killed suspension bits?

The odd part of all of this is that the rattling is much worse when the Konis are set to soft. If I go half turn and under, the noise is awful. I cranked it to 3/4 of a turn last night and the rattles are almost gone. Why would the noise dissipate when on a stiffer setting? That does not make sense in my simple brain. I would assume stiffer suspension = more rattling.

I’ve read through all of the Koni related posts and have not seen anyone with the same issue. So confused as to what to look into next. It’s insanely frustrating.