LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

Whit's Wed in full effect today, but a little different this time: The wife knows about it lol!!! Driving to Subaru now to grab rear insulators and then go time on this beautiful 50 degree mid winter day

What email was this?

Back with the binding issue

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. This is not an issue that we regularly hear of as we do not list and applications specifically for the Legacy as you know. Many Legacy owners have opted to install the WRX KONI strut inserts and oftentimes us a set of donor WRX struts as well. "

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

White, what are the plunger looking pieces in between the springs and the konis? Some sort of insulator sleeve? Can't say I've seen those before.

dust covers, if you're on stock struts you should be able to see them on yours as well

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2010_Legacy25L-TURBO-6MT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/DUST-COVER-REAR-STRUT/49230043/20372AJ00A.html

Okay guys... some not so good news from a user over on NASIOC that just installed the new Koni struts assemblies on his 2011 WRX. The shipping on the Koni strut that I ordered has been delayed a little due to weather but will hopefully have it tomorrow to do a direct comparison with the earlier measurements I took of the Legacy strut and 13 WRX strut.

It is confirmed by this NASIOC user that the 08-10 WRX front strut's spring perch is approx 5/8" lower on the strut body than on the 11-14 WRX front strut. He replaced his stock front struts with the Koni struts, using the same Epic lowering springs he was using before, and ended up 5/8" lower. Unfortunately, Koni screwed the pooch and modeled their new strut assemblies after the 08-10 WRX strut. Dumbasses!

Here's a pic from his install.

1650032669_NewKoniStrutswithWRXstruts.thumb.jpg.4b4e858f9346ad9d976dbaf1b23f2265.jpg

Now...how does this relate to the Legacy strut's spring perch location. By my measurements, the Legacy strut perch is actually 1/4" lower than the 11-14 WRX spring perch. See the pics below.

4-2.thumb.jpg.b13559dab8882a0a0963dfec9c0823a7.jpg

Where does this leave us? I will confirm when I receive the new Koni WRX strut assembly, but for now, it appears to be that the new struts will lower us 3/8" in the front from where we are now because the spring perch is on the strut body 3/8" lower than on our Legacys. This also jives with the early WRX strut/spring and Koni install investigation that Scooby-GT and Fred did early on in 2013.

Two main issues....

The first...how do we resolve the 3/8" drop. This is not an issue with the addition of a 3/8" front tophat spacer to get the ride height back up to the advertised drop of whatever springs you're using. Or, if you want to go lower in the back too, machine a new groove in the rear shock body for the perch retainer clip 3/8" down, move the rear perch down, and lower the rear by 3/8". Scooby-GT did this on his car because he used 08-10 WRX front struts as donors for his Koni inserts. They were sold to Swannee who ran them for a while like that but raised the rear back up when he put inserts in Legacy donors.(please measure everything first, make sure your springs have settled, and take careful measurements to avoid saggy butt)

The second...tire clearance. To determine this without actually having all these assemblies installed and trying them with different size tires, I'm going to call on my experience with the Forester forum. This is not gospel, but my best guess. It is pretty much confirmed (by Forester owners and my own measurements) that the 2014 STI suspension that is on my Forester has a spring perch location in almost the exact spot as the 08-10 WRX perches, ergo, the same as the new Konis. I can fit a 245/45-18 (just barely) with a wheel width and offset that puts the inside of the wheel in the exact orientation as my stock wheel (17x7+48), for example a 18x8+35, so that should fit on a Leggy with the Koni WRX full struts. Any tire size with a smaller diameter and on a wheel with similar inboard location with respect to the suspension, SHOULD work fine. Whit is running 245/40-18 on either 18x8.5+35 (summer) or 18x8+35 (winter), and they SHOULD fit without interference with the strut perch of the Koni. The full Koni struts would not work on my car for example because I am running 255/40-18 on 18x9+40 and they are just too close on the inboard side and would likely hit the spring perch on the new Konis.

God, I hope this is all correct, it's kinda mind numbing, but I feel fairly confident. Hope you guys can follow it okay.

4-1.thumb.jpg.9b2a82112899e7c6f3b523cec12404e3.jpg

Edited by GTEASER

Hmm... time to check if i have more than 1/2" clearance on my front spring perches. FWIW I'm running 18x8.75 +36 on 245/40/18s... I wanna go up to 255/40/18s on my next set of rubber. The slight stretch I have right now I don't like

Those will fit no problem with your Legacy donors Zee.

Do we need a database of wheels that fit our cars and that clear various things?

Clears inner fender without modification

Clears inner fender with roll

Clears inner fender with pull

Clears Brembos

Clears WRX front struts

I can't imagine anyone complaining if we did have that.

"God, this information is just so USEFUL, I hate it!"