LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

I have been using motionx gps and have been very happy with it, but used maprica yesterday and it was ok. I like that you can import maps and use maps from there existing database on Maprica. Motionx just gives you so much more data. I wonder how long my battery will last if I run them both?

So I'm an avid road cyclist (ride for my corporate team, several races, ~3500 miles a year excluding commuting) I currently ride a Fuji Roubaix (Zipp 101's, 105 group) I grew up riding dirt and and ski a ton. Been getting the itch to try dirt but I dont want another money pit (LGT + Bike + Skiing :lol:) So I bought a Nevada nothing fancy or worthy of a epic DH race etc but she'll do for for my intended MTB usage (converted ski slopes and XC trails around the region.

It was the only 24" frame I could find and it happened to be on sale! I guess this will be a trial period but I already am lining up a full carbon conversion for next years cycle season and ill likely be spending money on that setup vs a high end MTB.

Picked up some Giro shoes and platform pedals so I clip in on the trails.

Nice hardware! What pedals you going with? Shoes?

Shoes - depends, lately I've been rocking a few old pairs of Vasque Velocity GTX because I can hike them, and I don't care if I tear them up.

Padels - always platforms, current set I've had a few years is Easton Flatboys. They seem to hold up really well (and I've thrashed them pretty bad) though they're a bit heavy.

I actually need to run over to the HW store and pick up some new set pins for them as I've run out (they rattle out and / or get dull)

Winning the internet

Most single track guys in this area that don't do much dh, or aggressive riding tend to stick with clippers, the ones (like my self) who value collar bones tend to go with platforms so you can escape the bike as badness is happening.

If I were riding a road bike I would probably stick with clippers, but in general, when you get more aggressive, your desire to throw the bike away when things to pear shaped tends to increase, and being attached to the bike, other than with your hands isn't a good thing.

Winning the internet

My Frankenstein bike. Kind of wish it was a full suspension but it's working for the cross country riding I do in Ellicottville, NY

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/boarding087/559236_10152018198195051_168639641_n_zps0e8e12ea.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/boarding087/183723_10152040523045051_4609080_n_zps048d947d.jpg

Most single track guys in this area that don't do much dh, or aggressive riding tend to stick with clippers, the ones (like my self) who value collar bones tend to go with platforms so you can escape the bike as badness is happening.

If I were riding a road bike I would probably stick with clippers, but in general, when you get more aggressive, your desire to throw the bike away when things to pear shaped tends to increase, and being attached to the bike, other than with your hands isn't a good thing.

I've Superman'd over the bar quite a few times... I guess I've been lucky thus far. If its anything more than rather tame XC, I definitely use flats.

If you ride clips long enough, the clip out motion becomes second nature after a while, even when falling. Second nature doesn't mean you get it every time though... :lol:

Yeah same here, amazingly I've never hit my head, I tend to roll onto my shoulders or upper back as I'm coming down. Road rash, and a few banged up elbows but nothing serious (knock on wood)

Winning the internet

Yeah clip in/out is second nature to me at this stage. Ive avoided massive pileups in races (road) but ive also went down twice both on wet decking (Mt Vernon trails here in DC area) its sucks. I know about the extent of my MTB prowess and I can see how not being clipped in, in low speed maneuvering will be helpful. I have two sided paltforms so on the rollers ill clip in on the technical its pressure :)

Also anyone rebuild shocks know a good place to source seals and the valving units? I've rebuilt the shocks on my old CR250 so I understand the technical aspects with oils, springs etc just need to see if parts are going to be a PITA.

My Frankenstein bike. Kind of wish it was a full suspension but it's working for the cross country riding I do in Ellicottville, NY

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/boarding087/559236_10152018198195051_168639641_n_zps0e8e12ea.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/boarding087/183723_10152040523045051_4609080_n_zps048d947d.jpg

Are you 'afraid' of ticks in your area? Currently living in MD and will be hitting the trails soon for the first time.. I hate ticks :mad:

Yeah clip in/out is second nature to me at this stage. Ive avoided massive pileups in races (road) but ive also went down twice both on wet decking (Mt Vernon trails here in DC area) its sucks. I know about the extent of my MTB prowess and I can see how not being clipped in, in low speed maneuvering will be helpful. I have two sided paltforms so on the rollers ill clip in on the technical its pressure :)

Yeah I donno if it matters how fast you are with it. The times I've crashed, I was crashing before I even knew what was happening.

Also anyone rebuild shocks know a good place to source seals and the valving units? I've rebuilt the shocks on my old CR250 so I understand the technical aspects with oils, springs etc just need to see if parts are going to be a PITA.

I've rebuilt many pairs of motorcycle and bicycle shocks. Allballz is probably going to be a good place to start. Use http://cmsnl.com/ and see if they have a microfiche blowout of your bike, if so you can pull part numbers from that.

Winning the internet

Yeah I donno if it matters how fast you are with it. The times I've crashed, I was crashing before I even knew what was happening.

I'm with GEE-OTTO on this one. It really does become second nature.

Not busting your balls or anything, but I don't really know anyone who bases their clipped v flat decision on wrecking. It's more a matter of "need." Like, "do I need the efficiency gains that cleats provide?" Or, "do I need to relieve myself of this money burning a hole in my pocket?";).

If you're coming from a moto background I could see not really feeling the need to be mechanically connected to the bike.

Of those that I ride with that have recently switched back to flats, it's been a matter of comfort, preference, and the fact that shoes (vs cleats) are pretty awesome these days. We ride the nastiest stuff we can find, and while we get our asses handed to us from time to time, there's no reason to think our pedal choices have much to do with it.

Are you 'afraid' of ticks in your area? Currently living in MD and will be hitting the trails soon for the first time.. I hate ticks :mad:

We haven't had any issues riding back in this area. It actually dries out pretty quickly here too. I however cant stand ticks and wouldn't be happy with them being on trails. We stay away from one park because of that.

Not the best quality video but we will be making a new one this year. I have a new gopro so I'd like to get a better quality to show the trails better.

This is our 2 mile downhill we enjoy at the end of our cross country riding. We usually start on this hill to get to the top and ride all around back in the state forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4tb51kAd0&list=UU-0f09ElbDOtmETxWFv2rYg

We haven't had any issues riding back in this area. It actually dries out pretty quickly here too. I however cant stand ticks and wouldn't be happy with them being on trails. We stay away from one park because of that.

Yeah. I've been riding mostly in the desert and in the Rockies. So this was not an issue; until I began riding in France and I got like 4 ticks on me :mad:.

Now that I am living in MD, I want to go riding but a bit 'scared' of these nasty little insects..