LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Wow. Almost 2 years now. Bump iiiittt!

I live in Utah now and ride every single week. Still riding 26" bikes :spin:. In the process of finishing rebuilding a Specialized SX Trail II. I did a test ride with that thing, and man, it swallows anything you throw at it! I'll post pics soon.

Still 26ing here too. I've been riding a frame that works with 27.5 for a couple years, and bought 27.5 rims this summer (lightbicycle.com). And hubs (Hope). They are all going to become wheels pretty soon. Mostly I'm just hoping for fewer pedal strikes. The BB sits kinda low, so it's easy to bang into things with the low pedal if I'm not careful.

My bikes - I ride typically 2 times a week outside (during the summer / lighter months) and 2-3 times a week inside. The BikeLab bikes are steel framed "custom" bikes as my friend figures out how to build them. I have only ridden 26 and 29 inch wheeled bikes. I have no idea what a 27.5 feels like :D

oZYjT9P.jpg

Rmoi4Ge.jpg

b370tMI.jpg

gD5ZbVd.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

I really should get in to this. I have done it before at Tiger mountain and it was a blast. Mt Si and Tiger mountain are a short drive away, two great spots just right there.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Mtn/trail biking are awesome! I didn't start in earnest until I was ~32 realizing if I didn't find some cardio/aerobic/muscle building exercise I liked and would DO, I was gonna die. My hx of motocross/dirtbiking only supported the skills needed and fun that resulted for the past 20+ years. I prefer the sweeping twisty woods runs, but the downhill mtn runs are also killer fun. I still remember getting that 1st ever "2nd wind" that I thought was BS. That said, on one final joyous run down Gore Mtn in NY in Fall 2000, I lost control and crashed only to be hit in the upper back by a guy who I was riding with for the 1st time. Ended up breaking my collar bone as well as a bunch of ribs that were only identified after I went to the hospital at 10:30 pm after bringin' everyone else home. Man, I miss those days.

Get that bike, Dicko!!

• 2 months later...

Talking about bikes, I was proud of myself a couple of weeks ago when, for the first time, I (partially) rebuilt my rear Fox shock as well as my Marzocchi fork. It really was not that bad. No more leaks and they both got some nice fresh oil.

Gonna go camping tonight with the family and mtb tomorrow :spin:

• 3 weeks later...

I need to post a picture. But bought some additional parts for my SX trail 2:

--a pair of red oneup composite platform pedals. I like them a lot. 10 'screws' on each side ready to leave some nice scars on your shins :lol:

--swapped my 46-tooth chain ring with an oval 32 teeth chain ring. Wanted to try this out. Man, much easier to climb now on steep slopes with the 42 teeth low gear in the back. Remember, it is a heavy bike, almost DH specs. Still can climb though :cool:

--got me some fresh oneup red grips too.

Will post a picture soon.

• 2 months later...

I just jumped on my bike again in a while. Currently riding a Specialized Hardrock, but I had a Giant hardtail, and full suspension I was rather fond of.

I would love to find some trails to ride since I am new to the area, but I also need a riding buddy because nothing says bad idea like going down a new trail alone and ending up upside down in a thorny bush still clipped into your pedals, (ask me how I know).

I just jumped on my bike again in a while. Currently riding a Specialized Hardrock, but I had a Giant hardtail, and full suspension I was rather fond of.

I would love to find some trails to ride since I am new to the area, but I also need a riding buddy because nothing says bad idea like going down a new trail alone and ending up upside down in a thorny bush still clipped into your pedals, (ask me how I know).

My mind says "OUCHIE!"

453747.png

My mind says "OUCHIE!"

I was smiling the whole time, but yeah it was less than pleasant.

I came around a bend (way too fast) and there was a double drop with no time to set myself back on the bike. I did a sweet front flip into said named bush.

Install the MTB project android app (assuming you have an android phone). You'll find some trails in your area. I lived in Burtonsville from 2014 until last year. I was used to ride the trail network part of the Fairland Recreational Park there. Trails are pretty fun there. Further up north, you have a few trails around the Rockburn Skills Park (fun park to practice your dirt jumping skills). Also a few trails along the Cascade Falls trail. Just get the said app and you'll find all of these trails there.

Install the MTB project android app (assuming you have an android phone). You'll find some trails in your area. I lived in Burtonsville from 2014 until last year. I was used to ride the trail network part of the Fairland Recreational Park there. Trails are pretty fun there. Further up north, you have a few trails around the Rockburn Skills Park (fun park to practice your dirt jumping skills). Also a few trails along the Cascade Falls trail. Just get the said app and you'll find all of these trails there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I run IOS, but I am sure there is something similar in the app store for me. Now I just need a responsible adult to supervise me, since I can't be trusted to keep the ground below me and the sky above.

:lol:

I think you will be fine on these trails around Fairland. These are pretty easy. No huge drops and stuff like that. The 'holy trail' was the hardest over there, and it is not that hard really.

Also, I just realized that the MTB project has a website as well. Here you go: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7021440/fairland-fun-lap

• 4 weeks later...

I should have posted a picture...

Yesterday, decided to take care of that broken spoke I've had for a while on my rear wheel. Well, once the wheel was on my bench, I discovered that I lost 3 of the 6 rotor bolts and one had backed out and was ready to fall off :eek:.

Then, realized that I did not have one but 3 broken spokes! Was planning to ride last night. EEEh nope; spent the time fixing the bike :mad:

Slick rock riding combined with aggressive riding is tough on bikes!