LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

do you guys have these 1x10 set up? Are you able to ride pretty steep and technical sections with the lowest gear? I still use 2 rings up front and 8 in the back. I think my lowest gear on the cassette has 34 teeth. This set up can do the steepest sections of the slick rock trail without issue. Don't know about the 1x10 set up though.

I'm still stuck in 10 speed land. My Stumpjumper is an XX 2x10 drivetrain with 42/28 up front and an 11-34 in back because Illinois is the epitome of flat, and my Instigator is a 1x10 with a 36t up front and 11-36 in the back because it spends most of its time trudging through the snow during the cold months.

I'd only move to 11s or 12s for the gearing gain(which I don't need where I live), or the fact that there's simply no modern 10s drivetrains nowadays(whihc is very true).

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

...which is great because my Hope Pro2 hubs can't do 11s. :spin:

I've been thinking about swapping to 1x10 and trying to go super wide in the rear, like 11-42 or something so I can ride pavement quick for fitness with the upper gears and then I have the lower range for climbing better.

1x10 has been around forever now. Like five years probably, which is two eternities in mountain bike time. The cool kids are rocking 1x12 now, with cogs the size of dinner plates. Seriously:

sram-XX1-eagle-12speed-cassette-details02.jpg

I was content with 36 teeth on the biggest cog, so I didn't see much point in 1x11 or 1x12. And then I saw this thread on mtbr...

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/6-speed-cassette-ss-hub-please-post-your-setup-573783.html

...so now I'm rocking 1x6 with an 11-34 cassette on a Hope "single speed" hub (which oddly enough has room for 6 cogs). It took some experimenting to find parts to make it work, but it's been solid and I really like it.

With the amount of climbing the local trails have, with generally short descents mixed in, I hang out in like, 1x1-5 and then when I ride pavement just for fitness stuff, it's usually 6-7-8-9... 1x6 would make my bike unusable :lol:

You're right about the 1x12 stuff though... those big cogs are 52t or something.

With the amount of climbing the local trails have, with generally short descents mixed in, I hang out in like, 1x1-5 and then when I ride pavement just for fitness stuff, it's usually 6-7-8-9... 1x6 would make my bike unusable :lol:

You're right about the 1x12 stuff though... those big cogs are 52t or something.

My 1x6 has 34 teeth on the biggest cog, and 11 on the smallest, so the range is about the same as an early 1x9 setup, before everybody went all crazy with the big cogs.

I had a 3x9 setup where I eventually realized that the granny gear was more trouble than it was worth. Standing up and pedaling hard was more fun than sitting and spinning, and that got me thinking that I could live without really low gears. And then I replaced the biggest sprocket with a bash ring. Then I went to an off-the-shelf 11-36 1x9 setup and was perfectly content. Then I saw the thread about 11-34 with 1x6, and saw it as a fun project and an upraised middle finger to the bike industry. How could I pass that up?

It does help that I don't have any long steep climbs where I ride. :)

Not answering your question, but what's wrong with your bike?

I never bought a brand new bike. I've always bought used frames, parts (etc..) and put bikes together. I just have a hard time shelling out so much cash for a bike. I am more of a vulture I guess :lol:. I wait for the 'rich kids' to get rid of their nice (used) stuff and snatch it from them.

So, I have two bikes - Hardtail 26er and Full Suspension VP Free. None of which really do that well in this area. I also want modern wheels 27.5 or 29ers. I road a Rocky mountain at Mammoth a few years ago and it was amazing how much better the bike felt with 27.5s on it (and I was comparing it to by VP Free)

The hardtail does fine I guess, but it's slow and not as fun as a FS bike (for me)

Looking for a low(ish)travel, full suspension, slack new bike. Really I need to test ride some, because I am not sure that the "modern suspension" design is something that's really necessarily for me.

I also don't have any spare parts to put together a bike and would need everything. Usually once "everything" hits it's more effective to buy new.

I'll spend some time on PinkBike and try and price it out before I buy anything.

Just looking for something "fun" to ride on local trails.

$2500 for a carbon-framed bike seems like a pretty good deal. And you definitely save a lot buying a complete bike. I built a DH bike from parts in 2011 and while it was kinda fun, the depreciation is ridiculous... plus it's a 26" and those are totally out of fashion now. :)

FWIW, the reach and stack measurements on that bike in size large are both about 1cm longer than the large NS Soda Evo Air that I bought a couple years ago. I'm 6'0" and I think my bike fits me perfectly.

$2500 for a carbon-framed bike seems like a pretty good deal. And you definitely save a lot buying a complete bike. I built a DH bike from parts in 2011 and while it was kinda fun, the depreciation is ridiculous... plus it's a 26" and those are totally out of fashion now. :)

Hey easy there. I like my 26". Can't beat its nimbleness in the 'twisties'.

When I built my bike (11 years ago :eek:), I think it ended up being well below 800$. But then again, no carbon frame, no hydraulic brakes and no fancy parts. Well, I guess the Enduro SX frame and Marzocchi 66 RC2 ETA should be considered a bit fancy no? :lol:

But you have a point Rhitter. You can't really do lots of 'enduro' type trails with a DH bike (which I presume that's what your FS VP Free is). So you do need a different bike. And that's why I love my Enduro SX bike the way I built it. I put a DH fork which can still be locked and compressed (reduced travel) so I can climb very steep grades. But then, when it is time to bomb down, I can go!! Unfortunately, still limited with only 4.5" of rear travel. But it's OK.

Oh, I'm with you. I still have the same bike, and no plans to replace it.

And my everything-but-DH bike came as 27.5 and I'm riding it with 26ers. It has a flip-chip for shorter chainstays, but the difference is pretty subtle. Really it's just 26 for spite.

So, I have two bikes - Hardtail 26er and Full Suspension VP Free. None of which really do that well in this area. I also want modern wheels 27.5 or 29ers. I road a Rocky mountain at Mammoth a few years ago and it was amazing how much better the bike felt with 27.5s on it (and I was comparing it to by VP Free)

The hardtail does fine I guess, but it's slow and not as fun as a FS bike (for me)

Looking for a low(ish)travel, full suspension, slack new bike. Really I need to test ride some, because I am not sure that the "modern suspension" design is something that's really necessarily for me.

I also don't have any spare parts to put together a bike and would need everything. Usually once "everything" hits it's more effective to buy new.

I'll spend some time on PinkBike and try and price it out before I buy anything.

Just looking for something "fun" to ride on local trails.

you should look for a nice camber fsr. they're nice to ride (i demod one at my local shop and rented one for a day for the trails by here) and come in 27.5 and 29er. If you got some good dough to spend, step up to a stumpjumper.

Im pretty partial to santa cruz too, i just like their geometry, it fits me best. but you really need to test ride some to see what works best for you before you commit. The SC Blur climbs like a beast and is pretty nimble. All depends what you are most after.

My first XC bike a Kona Dawg is still kicking after all these years too. Ill never sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

Still killing it on 26" DH bike.. no plans on selling her either

I def need to get an enduro bike though... check out the 2nd hand Commencal's on their website, or YT

Opening day of Mountain Creek was rad.. Leggy with 3 dudes and 3 bikes and she didn't skip a beat

Still killing it on 26" DH bike.. no plans on selling her either

I def need to get an enduro bike though... check out the 2nd hand Commencal's on their website, or YT

Opening day of Mountain Creek was rad.. Leggy with 3 dudes and 3 bikes and she didn't skip a beat

My VP Free with its stupid high (by modern terms) bottom bracket etc etc has done so good. But really trying to figure out what I want going forward. And realistically it will be less lift assisted more local rides. Basically I will need to pedal up.

Rented a Trek Stache 29x3 is super fun to monster truck over things. But I think I want a bike in between a my hard tail and DH bike.

Demoing a SC Hightower this weekend. That should help narrow it done.

Can't beat YTs cost...