LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Absolutely worth it for a mtb. I have tubeless set up on my gravel bike also because it's all I know.

I also have tubeless on my gravel. It works great!

---

Absolutely worth it for a mtb. I have tubeless set up on my gravel bike also because it's all I know.

Problem is I am still riding a 26" bike and it is hard to find 2.7" tires for that wheel size. My rear tire is however a tubeless tire (2.5" Maxxis minion dhr). I could do this one I guess.

I have yet to try tubeless. I need to convince myself it is worth it...

I bought a new set of wheels (Hope hubs, carbon rims from light-bicycle.com) and figured it just didn't make sense to buy tubes anymore.

I took the wheels and tires to a shop to get the tires mounted and the guy walked me through the process. Seems pretty straightforward, I probably should have looked for a youtube video instead.

They ride like... tires. :)

^Nice looking bike. Looks pretty light. Not like mine...

Proud of myself: just rebuilt a beat-up leaky 2006 Marzocchi 66 RC2X fork. This fork was 'given' to me (along with another leaky 66 fork) when I bought the used Specialized SX trail 2 bike.

Changed all the seals, and put some fresh oil in it. First time I ever changed seals on a fork. Not that bad at all. Put the fork on a hard tail bike. We'll see how it goes :spin:

My recently acquired Top Fuel 8. Looking forward to getting back into some dirt riding. Still liking the road biking but just not every time. Also needed a camping bike.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

f823081b0700b5df17c77347e0d1ab93.jpg

Edited by whitexc

I have been riding mostly hardtails lately. My friend is a bike frame builder and has been wielding them up for a couple years now.

My newest bike (in yellow to match my son's)

UzgHh7E7Qj-j-P-OUjy2xVoVLds0RXtTBc_O6YsLP9V3_pghISha84PpGe608H2sGYbBYGPsScn9B2AMFBswcQcDYonKtcpgFK1DcxeP-aSCvMEhkfS6aL0K9sueeRVj5izjfBo03B0BMNf_gZ1NLDEskN85s01g6fCc4BxbsveUKg1L-pOsq_wTyZpdvS_dF18uVo4S2E2Y1R3go1gt2sRbyY5HP_WynxvlGMVlpeGAUBMRS4kBK88f8jA-zFb3cIvpEGFC7w178OWhgr6jPGWIAG0IH2ZEHdWT1dPjZvyOhiI7uguFk-q_SmQYUyUegdY6zOf_IAyvradG1KnB3FUBhV4mKNqKKNtKzJwNCW9VYS_EeiJXCQahIrXL33wmvpUxtPh1qQY2rzM9dc1CIaIBm1oTHBDZ7Xtd8tNn065FBJ1rS5IOiCWGsZvv2L-Ku02bcZi8vsbF5SUxal7rsYlqeQCvpwpE0QJHmA8bgQgyD1GYSs2p-qcl8r3MzjK8Pxy1CsEJ7FapKPfZY9WBb2obgaDStB6kGlsXSnayxpVgIxt7f5-EKt5OiXRzcNm3jS_B6E8S1RLO7Sp7o7I1wHoqg_n3XtE1W7xW60OtaNA77MtbRo5yLV1MN5rgk2_FMpKzZUIDJKFWypAmi5r6Fw4q1mIZPXyNTphxWUnMB1eHyc3g0FsoJcyCZ6Tf-wslLyGie8RHyq0XmHQUk-knZHrGFA=w1730-h1297-no?authuser=0

Exploring redwoods on the coast

m91ZCwwt3uLOb1B1EpkLDKJBbzvWOyy1mTLjAagtcwn5_VE9vdmTbBCwPhmdqO_F7XnInSt59vKMgcSuMg67lDZO5I3un79FNDBYfhegvwSMrIFtmqNIaydLtsaXJEcrgIwQTHaPjB5rD_3Yi_hbfAHYlLgq4Fna9-8PCRx_63NymIMzFucy5morLLMM-RMT2qKDiZYV7usq_C_it6QO-wTdRLufmiFYIBk0A1k-x_MCKtDR5rW1xlr53v8j-tF70a-lD30_3L9NfgCPrQD40ovvb5r6qJzgUNzdW1SSEtYyUqWsj_SLH2gIn4ZZHGVLn9Ty8aMkTIgvwUrK9XhQb8xqrV_ZLiqZkR_LibQ9pqBSJVJYZQ47zHU9Ys2-9aL0N9N5aYYjtDILvAnV7md0nWb_syJJy6v3lRBhblj-5t57P7beK1lvJyUjIgW8PDg2qyL9HT_EOGE8PuovbsFf9iaL4PYrIUJgn4SAad9Bnh8V5tpN6FkHiCcb_inQ3v0fnoJGI4kgcQ7y0s-2rVV9p4v90ckpIlMbHezBdChsIMOOLPOb5SRy7JB3GiBwyyXk_Q0zSkjqLlc0Cc4VQ6Kc1_YcAyojoCjOTzvWra_C6ZFACLB5e7fvMZA-p06ftFiOjLKai9Og7j8LiVVAgpr8ru7yQNS21NRdTc1gUKgqGDWZWqqX5KI21aaoU2dOe-H1g3A_smpidnb0oQpJrcRoZ6e6NQ=w1730-h1297-no?authuser=0

Dropbars for when I want to go far

k4Za7pkdNTLLyZcX9WzJXg3GyYCqReSA0DtcfUvsciQgroB6MGacVhg5NB73XH9vdKHWdizfkvFzERHA_PfUUmQ6WZASMh7RV8awv5vb-Pv3J4es94KWcwNrdgcMSBh7_pyOgpSk61Kr0uoUMt8wAvLSIt1221CCDQqj-Sfm2nVzLXKUQqVSLYPpHVBWe2c-QJeDEHTGjqTp3xDhH7CZDtSXIjruACUqDhEmyOsv0ReY3esc5Xaeql-6aqWV4H21mVjO516hw8oJVZ2HS-3zw-GY8N-UGyVYDz-xR9yCONkySQeWRFC6EtcOg8xCLB_NZWzgT4LYxQgjWFY5PZJMNzdc4BPuJM_Sr6Yrb86bYswBTfUeL_zRzeWWORvbu-pcEI2yA1kw2VBaVOUQKs9u130FidhxlOurnPSlzzahfDAKSjaedU4Ud29oc_7T1GERghlvPK4iZ_SFib-sBz2KjK_lHl9brZM5VdxUeFjnBP2LMYj8wkqobQ9LIZSvZ9rPWpYH9P4BFq-yoGzLeATkcp6-F3p_91PWDrKZq0ZxJHPUAFpbs8P8s0iVIWSyJsVTGXi2NSwOaaXKtG0MJshJCSG7MSoEDXSZO7UQpdJbk31-Erlvzur5ClQ-iBBAXK25MFw7E44AW1zzDYTt71Q9AZ15egbIkQ6GgsoHdKHqiotvbwgB2bsbS3YHYcO_ib_1QPN6LsuAuzkDo2sdS8ekrYW9Yg=w1730-h1297-no?authuser=0

Nice bikes. What fender(s) are you running?

I set out to find a hardtail with nice specs but bikes in general are very hard to come by these days it seems. Thanks again to the pandemic.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On the yellow bike - it's the stock fender that comes with the manitou R7. I think all Manitou's come with it.

On the blue bike I am using a bolt on fender I got from https://reciprocators.ca/products/the-proguard-bolt-on

I have become so picky over the years that I basically have to build a bike from the frame up (or I will change so much that I don't like). The yellow bike was a bunch of "huh, that's not available and won't be forever."

The yellow bike was a frame up build from nmwbikes.com but it took 2 ish months to get all the parts together because of the pandemic (reasonable and what I expected).

Proud of myself: just rebuilt a beat-up leaky 2006 Marzocchi 66 RC2X fork. This fork was 'given' to me (along with another leaky 66 fork) when I bought the used Specialized SX trail 2 bike.

Changed all the seals, and put some fresh oil in it. First time I ever changed seals on a fork. Not that bad at all. Put the fork on a hard tail bike. We'll see how it goes :spin:

I have done this a bunch with the new Rockshox stuff. I think the newer stuff might be easier than the old stuff - or maybe it's just better documented. Like working on cars - the right tools make all the difference.

Edited by Rhitter

I have done this a bunch with the new Rockshox stuff. I think the newer stuff might be easier than the old stuff - or maybe it's just better documented. Like working on cars - the right tools make all the difference.

As far as I can tell, Marzocchi forks are really easy to work on. Did not need any special tool. I love how plush they are. These are heavy forks though. No surprise here since these are essentially DH forks.

Btw, you're still alive? :spin:

• 4 months later...
Yikes, man! I need new clip ins after 17 years! So last weekend I had a novel ‘incident’ resulting in an injury. Riding in my local park (old man ride) I attempted to cross what I thought was a flat grass covered area along a roadway only the realize (as I was committed) that it was a ditch. Instinct had me put my right foot down while stopping, then the front wheel hit the other side of the ditch snapping the handle bar (and brake and shifter) to the right mashing my thigh between the frame and the bar, etc. All my weight was on staying upright and it took almost a minute the figure out how to get my balance and get the handle bar off my leg due to the orientation. Then I had little option than to ride home about 5 miles on the mashed quad. Swelling and bruising were my badge of honor. Still not the worse damage I’ve done! Feel free to share grisly injury stories as this thread is a bit slow…

I just wish we had mountains to bike. I have to drive 45-60 minutes just to get into some hills. Nothing compared to what most of you are riding but a few nice areas to tear up for a few hours, get your sweat on and muddy up the bikes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Went for a ride around the neighborhood for the first time in a couple of years. A dual suspension Felt 29'er seems overkill for paved roads, but it was nice to be out.

Starting slowly to build endurance. So much cool riding around here and I've barely tried any of it.

There are probably awesome trails by you. I visited NC recently and it was awesome!!!

---

Couple buddies and I have been getting more into biking too. Tons of great trails around me. Typically I'm riding gravel trail to keep a heartbeat.

Got a sweet new POC helmet recently, but still using New Balance skate shoes for riding.

Yikes, man! I need new clip ins after 17 years! So last weekend I had a novel ‘incident’ resulting in an injury. Riding in my local park (old man ride) I attempted to cross what I thought was a flat grass covered area along a roadway only the realize (as I was committed) that it was a ditch. Instinct had me put my right foot down while stopping, then the front wheel hit the other side of the ditch snapping the handle bar (and brake and shifter) to the right mashing my thigh between the frame and the bar, etc. All my weight was on staying upright and it took almost a minute the figure out how to get my balance and get the handle bar off my leg due to the orientation. Then I had little option than to ride home about 5 miles on the mashed quad. Swelling and bruising were my badge of honor. Still not the worse damage I’ve done! Feel free to share grisly injury stories as this thread is a bit slow…

That must have hurt bad. Sounds like a pretty bad crash!

I go ride about twice a week. We have very scenic trails around here. Most are intermediate to advanced. I love it. Icing on the cake would be to have a beach nearby to be able to surf too!

Here is a pic of a family ride last week. Riding my good old 2010 Specialized SX trail 2 with a 2 year old on my back. Oh and rocking my new shoes :cool:.

Edit: I should add that all of this stuff and people (+ the photographer and her bike) fit in the OBXT! All 3 larger bikes on the roof rack with a yakima box too, and the smaller bike in the trunk.

IMG_20210911_164016.thumb.jpg.1ff5804e1429002334ffa32f416e599d.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I have a large group of family and friends flying out to Moab next week, said they'll ride 100 miles during the week they're there. Some skilled riders

Very nice. Which trails are they going to ride?

Maaaaan, I love the Utah topography. Glad the kids are getting into it!

Yeah. I love riding on slickrock, and man the views... I never get tired of it.

Edited by xt2005bonbon