LegacyGT.com

Kinugawa Turbo Review

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's massive play? Because Journal Bearings have more play than a ball bearing turbo, until oil fills the JB there will be play. If the wheel fins don't hit the housing, but there is play, it should be fine.

I understand, but this was ridiculous. Everyone at my shop had the same opinion. Shipped it.

My buddy just sent me this to show the STS response

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giC0hHg1B30]Kinugawa Billet 18G STS Response - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seQbug0xBPE]18g - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to be running a basemap until my other friend/tuner can come down from Michigan to tune it in person. That being said, my friend had a brand new Mustang 5.0 try to race him on the highway in my car, and it only could put a car length on the LGT. On a 14psi basemap.

Edited by Adam393

Are they really going to look that closely to see if the turbo does not look OEM???

If they are, why not get a BNR upgrade?

Sick obsession of trying to keep all the parts with the car as long as possible. I'm fully interested in the 16G for my goals but would need it to be able to pass the visual and emisions layer.

I have failed for stupid crap (dipstick cap cracked) on other cas. I didn't check last round what the tester looked at. I have one more year till it all has to be stock. May grab an STI or 07-09 lgt up for my smog "stock" setup.

Considering trying to get passed with the resistor mod in play. :)

Edited by kzr750r1

What. On. Earth... That is amazing!!

My tuner and mechanic were both unsure of whether there was actually a difference, or if the STS was some marketing gimmick, since they have not experienced one first-hand. I was willing to be the guinea pig, since at the very least, the inconel STS wheel will be more durable, as I will now be running high-RPM, conditional anti-lag of sorts. We are all very happy that it really does make a very noticeable impact. With the STS upgrade, it should keep the journal bearing turbo response on par with ball bearing ones. We can't wait to see how it does once it's off of WG pressure, and tuned!

Sick obsession of trying to keep all the parts with the car as long as possible. I'm fully interested in the 16G for my goals but would need it to be able to pass the visual and emisions layer.

Unless it has changed, BNR reuses VF40 housings, so a tech inspector will be non the wiser :)

Edited by Adam393

I get it the BNR16 looks like a stock VF40 but I need to pass sniff test on the dyno at two seperate RPM. So I'm still unsure having the 16G on a stock map would give the numbers I need to pass.

My cars not stock, and thats not the only 5.0 ive raced. In fact, i have a 2011 i just took in on trade. Too bad you're all too far away or id let you all take turns lining up with me; the proof is in the pudding, right? Either that or you're all in the wrong GD forum... bunch of Ford fans? Gross.

:argue::lol:

... just so we're clear, the 5.0 eventually overtakes my LGT... i'm not claiming a win... yet, but its a battle 0-60. Thats real.

Edited by WaspGT

Not ford fans, just not fanbois. You're delusional about your car and everyone who ever loved you was wrong.

LOL Awsome! Can we get back to some discussions about these turbos please?

I'm interensted but who is supporting them here in the states? Seems we have to trust big time that this dealer is legit. Least with BNR if I do have an issue he's in country.

After reading this thread and looking at the Kinugawa and Kamak sites, I'm little confused about the STS wheel. Are the Kamak STS wheels different than the Kinugawa or are they just branded differently?

I'm considering moving from my BNR16G to an 18G for slightly more headroom for some different components and a retune. If the STS really has spool similar to a BB cartridge, I would be interested.