LegacyGT.com

Kinugawa Turbo Review

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please tell me what's BPV and TMIC ? I'm not yet familiar with terminology :) I have borrowed a boost gauge and boost was 0.8-0.9 bar buy 2400 rpm, and it dropped to about 0.6 on higher rpm-s. How can I check the leakage after the turbo? As I understand I have checked from air intake until turbo. Any other ideas? Does this audio sound like it was in case of a bent "collar" ? Edited by vako86

BPV = By-pass Valve (also known as a Blow-off Valve). Looking at your engine picture, it seems either the Turbo-to-TMIC hose is leaking, or the BPV or its return hose is leaking. It's also possible that the TMIC itself is leaking at one or both end tanks (the black plastic bits). The only way to find out for sure is have a tech do a boost pressure leak check for you.

Again, I don't think it's your turbo, but the only way to make sure is to pull the down-pipe off the back side and check for shaft play or major oil leaks on the exhaust hot side. I'd check the other areas first and wouldn't drive the car a whole lot (and then only drive it easy with low boost) until you get this figured out.

1483331483_JDMTSTMICSetupwithpartlocationidentifiers.thumb.jpg.4a741527d46503152dd98d3c19630525.jpg

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for explanation.

I wonder about the leakage test, we compressed the air (smoke) from intake side (air filter) and there was no leakage, the smoke then was released when we opened the engine oil cup. Did it pass all the above mentioned hoses?

I will check for the shaft play also by next weekend. In case if it is a shaft problem, can it be the reason for this sound? And can this problem be fixed by changing the shaft wheel? or I should change the whole CHRA in that case to insure the shaft balance? I do not have experience in repairing turbo and I know that the shaft balance is very important, but some say the CHRA must be balanced if I replace the shaft wheel only.

How much inlet pressure did you build to during the smoke test. Should have been upwards of 20 psi. And hopefully, you attempted to move things around a bit (jiggle them) to make sure that it wasn't statically sealed, but dynamically leaking.

If there's shaft play, and or oil on the hotside of the turbo, I'd just replace the turbo. You have to pull the turbo whether you're repairing or replacing it. A lot easier unless you do have the ability to tear the old one down, reinstall the CHRA with compressor and turbine wheels attached and shaft balanced. I'd go the turbo replacment route myself. And since you've gotten 140Km out of your stocker, I'd likely just go with a stock replacement as the easiest, fastest, safest fix.

We have tested on up to 3 par. Thats about 40 psi?. You see it appeared a problem to find a cheap replacement of VF38. I will have to buy chra for 220gbp from kinugawa or 120$ one from china. I will have to hake the pipe off and check the furbo shaft. Thanks. I was jest hopint that it may be not turbo fault as its not cheap for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Today I was driving fast for several minutes, wanted to test with forester 2001 y. (he was faster a bit, both stock) and after that the strange noise is gone and some other kind of a noise is heard that is not dependent with boost, at any rpm, even when pushing the gas pedal very nice it sounds like something coming from down, propably pipes, just like something is not screwed well, but the sound is off when I take of the foot from gas.

Except that I noticed a little leakage of oil on turbo to TMIC hose, and the smoke was coming from down, seems the oil has leaked on hot pipe.

So seems that pipe is not on properly. The small plastic elbow off the Turbo that connects to intercooler. Take it off clean it, make sure the rubber gasket is seated properly and make sure the two bolts are torqued priory onto Turbo. Also make sure the intercooler is in properly to that pipe and clamped properly,nice and tight. Go for a drive and see if any oil leaks out again. Nothing should leak from there

So not to rain on anyone's parade, as these are great results and im happy you had good luck.

I bought a td04HL-19T from them to replace my td04-13t when it eventually failed. everything was well and good, turbo made FANTASTIC numbers for what it was. full boost of 19psi by 3300 rpm and held it till 6300, tapered to 16 at 7250.

My issue, and it could have been a factory defect for all I know, was the TOTAL lack of communication with the company once I bought the turbo, I bought directly from kinugawa usa, located out of California. after just 22 miles of driving and two dyno pulls, my brand new turbo locked up solid and turned into a maraca ON the dyno. now, I figured ok.. no big deal, ill mail it back as a factory defect, something must have not been right with the oil clearances or bearings.. yadda yadda, within 30 days..great.

wrong.

so wrong.

they would only replace my turbo if I mailed it back to the company for inspection. ok no sweat, where do I mail it to? I bought it from California so it only makes sense that I have to mail it back to Taiwan via UPS with delivery conformation and insurance of $800.

wait, wat.

yes, you read that right. in order for me to even come close to getting a replacement turbo.. I had to mail it back to Taiwan for a woppi9ng total of $210 and EAT shipping costs both ways.

dafuq?

so I say this is horseshit, to paypal we go. I open a paypal review, paypal gets in touch with the company and after 13 days of no communication paypal says that in order for me to get a partial refund for my turbo (because I had used it...) of 80% of my initial purchase price, I had to mail the turbo back to Taiwan via their choice carrier.. for $267 dollars!!!

the whole time kinugawa USA is ignoring my phone calls, voicemails, emails, everything.

long story short, I sacked up and mailed back my brand new turbo for $267 to the address the company provided. paypal two weeks later tells me they CANT issue me ANY refund because the turbo went to the same address in a DIFFERENT providence within Taiwan.

so **** that. but, Im glad you had a good experience.

Go with BNR. It's U.S.-based, quality product, stood behind by the vendor, and usually can be "fixed" within a week to 10 days, including shipping. Bryan is awesome to deal with and he's been a strong advocate for the turbo Legacy platform.

I plan on ordering from a US vendor so I won't have to deal with the company directly via Taiwan. The vendor is also running a sale 'til the end of this month on NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2531796

Hopefully the 1-year warranty included is through the vendor and not Kinugawa or you may find yourself in the same situation as 1055 if you run into issues down the road.

Bryan never returned my calls or pms, but his products are top notch. I would definitely use his turbos if I went down that road again

I only called him 3 or 4 times over the course of the transaction but I never had a problem getting in touch with Bryan over the phone.

Bryan never returned my calls or pms, but his products are top notch. I would definitely use his turbos if I went down that road again

Bryan struck me as a busy dude too. But turnaround time was quick and the turbo performs well and holds up so no complaints overall.