LegacyGT.com

Kinugawa Turbo Review

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i sent them a mail to ask what the best twinscroll option they have, that spools as quick as vf36 but has better top end, im guessing it will be something like a td05/06 20G with billet compressor wheel, not sure about the turbine housing side though

Wow why haven't see this thread. I have had my Kinugawa 20gTD06 8cm for little over a year. I would recommend this turbo with no doubt. It is very simple installation except the inlet(because of Subaru). I hit about 23 psi at 3400 rpms. I love how it throws me back in my seat. Hopefully it will last a little bit. Worried though bc it might have seized but nothing to do with turbo. I'll keep you guys updated.

i sent them a mail to ask what the best twinscroll option they have, that spools as quick as vf36 but has better top end, im guessing it will be something like a td05/06 20G with billet compressor wheel, not sure about the turbine housing side though

Thats what i just got:)

(TD06/20G)

Can't wait to put it in!

Wow why haven't see this thread. I have had my Kinugawa 20gTD06 8cm for little over a year. I would recommend this turbo with no doubt. It is very simple installation except the inlet(because of Subaru). I hit about 23 psi at 3400 rpms. I love how it throws me back in my seat. Hopefully it will last a little bit. Worried though bc it might have seized but nothing to do with turbo. I'll keep you guys updated.

Do you, by any chance, have any dyno charts or Power/Torque plots? :)

• 2 weeks later...
My buddy just sent me this to show the STS response

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giC0hHg1B30]Kinugawa Billet 18G STS Response - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seQbug0xBPE]18g - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to be running a basemap until my other friend/tuner can come down from Michigan to tune it in person. That being said, my friend had a brand new Mustang 5.0 try to race him on the highway in my car, and it only could put a car length on the LGT. On a 14psi basemap.

Any updates on this?

Yeah, I am in the middle of E-tuning with my buddy. He wants to get all the fueling, AVCS, timing, etc. set up and out of the way. That way, when my other friend and I go up to visit him in Michigan and hang out for a weekend, and to get our cars tuned, he can then do the "fun tuning" (upping the boost). As of right now, it is still on spring pressure, but he thinks we are close to getting it all dialed in.

That being said, this turbo has already far exceeded his expectation, and mine. So much so that he has bought himself the TD05 20g billet STS for his new EJ207 swap. Daily driving, it is much stronger than a stage 2 car, doesn't feel noticeably laggier, has incredible transient response, and it already pulls like a freight train at .9bar! I would really recommend to everyone, save up just a bit longer and splurge on the STS/billet upgrade. It is truly worth it!

Around what rpm does it start to pick up around?

I'm just waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend about his setup I posted towards the beginning of the thread. AFAIK he's running a billet / sts td05 7cm 20g and holds 350tq from 3300-5500 with a peak of 380. I'm not looking to make that much power since I'm on a stock block, but keep the boost down and having the same powerband I'll be happy.

Edited by system60

Around what rpm does it start to pick up around?

I'm just waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend about his setup I posted towards the beginning of the thread. AFAIK he's running a billet / sts td05 7cm 20g and holds 350tq from 3300-5500 with a peak of 380. I'm not looking to make that much power since I'm on a stock block, but keep the boost down and having the same powerband I'll be happy.

The boost threshold is pretty low on the turbo. You can feel it start to get into boost in the upper 2k range, and then it starts hauling quickly from there

Hi,

I'm posting in this thread as I need help regarding turbo and I read a lot about it here. I have a Legacy GT 2.0 spec B, JDM 2003. It has IHI VF38 turbo. Several days ago it began to whistle and has some strange sounds when the turbo is on, without turbo the car drives without any sound. I have decided that I should replace CHRA instead of buying the whole turbo itself, as I understand it will have the same effect for me as my mission is not upgrade, just fix. So I have found 2 replacements: 1. kunigawa http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rebuilt-Turbo-Cartridge-Core-IHI-RHF5H-VF38-VF40-SUBARU-Legacy-Liberty-GT-04-06-/121125243027?ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123 and 2. made in China http://www.ebay.com/itm/181191776653?item=181191776653&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

They have much different pricing and as I read the Kunigawa is of a good quality. But has anyone tried "made in China" turbo or CHRA?

Thanks. You may be very helpful for me. I'm not even sure what part of turbo is damaged. The turbo has boost as normal ( 0.9 bar), so it actually works, only problem is the sound.

SBT

No, I'm not sure, because there is no professional Subaru service in my city. The one that is here, have check for air leakage from air intake side beginning from air filter (there was no leakage), they have also look at the turbine wheel from intake side and it was also OK except some oil on the walls. How can I check the gaskets? Can I do it by myself?

One thing I can say for sure is that the noise begins from about 2200-2400 rpm while accelerating hard, it's the moment when the turbo begins to blow. Other wise there is no noise. That's why I did not think about the gasket as a reason for that noise.

Edited by vako86

Well - the oil (light oil coating) in the inlet tract is typical on a boosted Subaru. At 2400 rpm your VF38 is hitting peak torque, and it sounds like it's boosting without issue, other than the sound.

How many miles/kms do you have on this and has the exhaust, particularly around the turbo) had any recent work done to it? If so, I'd check the Uppipe and Downpipe gaskets to make sure they're not leaking. You'll see carbon buildup around any leak areas.

Another area that may be causing this, and I'm not sure if the JDM intercooler to throttle body hose has the "collars" on both ends, similar to the USDM version, so you'd have to verify it. But, there have been several documented issues of the throttle body side collar unfolding into the air stream at the throttle body neck, causing a very loud shriek as the high-pressure air flows past it under boost. This is what the collar looks like in this scenario:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81854&stc=1&d=1268677668

Is there any way for you to post a sound clip?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

SBT

1. Yes, the boost is OK, except the whistle and strange sound

2. The car has 140 000 KM, I have not done any maintenance since I own the car, that's about 6 months. But still I'll check for carbon buildup.

3. I'll take off the intercooler and check for that "collar" by evening.

4. If all above are OK then I'll make some recordings of the sound and post them here.

As I understand the turbo should be working OK as it has normal boost? So I was on a wrong way thinking about changing the turbo (or CHRA) ? I would be so happy if the problem is not so difficult and can be fixed without changing turbo.

Thanks for advise.

im my experience its usually the turbo side plastic elbow or connections,check for oil residue on the top of the turbo. also check the clamps on the throttle body side. I dont recall the jdm throttle body pipe having the collar like the USDM, its more of a hard plastic pipewith rubber o-rings inside

This is how JDM intercooler look. I could not disconnect and take it off because of not having necessary equipment.

20130823_190c337.jpg

LegacyDan

I have checked and this is where I found an oil leakage. Is this what you mean?

20130823_19031s7.jpg

The pressure test was done from air intake hose but no leakage.

I will try to record the sound and post it here somehow.

Here are the sound recordings with my smartphone. Please open the audio files by clicking the links or using any audio player (windows media player works fine).

1. sound from outside the car (holding the phone in my hand outside the car):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26037267/leg%20sound/Voice%20006.m4a

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26037267/leg%20sound/Voice%20007.m4a

2. sound recorded inside the car (windows up)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26037267/leg%20sound/Voice%20011.m4a

3. and for last I placed my phone under the hood near the air filter case.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26037267/leg%20sound/Voice%20012.m4a

The boost is OK, I think the turbine is working all right, but can't understand the source of the sound.

Looking forward to your advises