LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• I Donated
Why the hell WOULD you get rid of a 80k car to keep a 10k car car?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CTSV? <---the only answer I really care about :lol:

Max, Max, Max. L2Read. :p He works for a car dealer and sold the dealer inventory to someone. He never owned the CTS-V himself.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admit I stopped trying to decifer and started only reading every 3rd word.:lol:

Actually pal, YOU crack ME up. You're too busy trying to come with some type of smart ass comment on how you're so much better than me. Buddy you're a joke. "Hey lets say something stupid so the rest of the retards reading this will thank me for it!" :lol:

Seriously, who cares what "I" think? What exactly are you trying to prove here? "OOOH, I earned my respect on this forum... yeah, all the vendors work together, we all know each other and decide who deserves respect and discounts" "People like you ruin this forum, i'm better than you... blah, blah, blah... don't bother writing back, cause i'll just delete it... IDC if youre new and need advice, i'm above you so GFY."

Doesn't that pretty much sum up what you PM'd me? And Boxkita, you chime right in with him most of the time, do you feel the need for approval? Actually that's most of you on here. You'll all usually be nice and give decent feedback or suggestions... or else kindly shoot the shit; Then the next day its negativity. Is there some type of forum Bi-Polar

sh!t that rolls around this site? For f**k's sake.

My car isn't slammed, but I do like C/O's better than a sh!tty set of shocks and springs. "Heat Sink"= TMIC (and you knew exactly what I meant, f**k stick), considering I got that from this site, that's your slang pal. Just thought it was funny. Also, if a being/acting as a tuner only applies to shops/vendors, well, then there are a shit load of posers on this site, congrats. I tore down my R1, polished my frame, gave it a tune up, then sanded and painted my fairings. I'll be ripping the tranny out of my LGT and replacing the clutch & upgrading my flywheel tonight... what are you doing? Oh right nothing, because Infamous Tuning is the tuner, NOT you. I thought one of you told me that this was a great site and to stick around? All I hear are insults and negativity... but hey, im done, floors yours run your mouths.:rolleyes:

• I Donated
Actually pal, YOU crack ME up. You're too busy trying to come with some type of smart ass comment on how you're so much better than me. Buddy you're a joke. "Hey lets say something stupid so the rest of the retards reading this will thank me for it!" :lol:

Seriously, who cares what "I" think? What exactly are you trying to prove here? "OOOH, I earned my respect on this forum... yeah, all the vendors work together, we all know each other and decide who deserves respect and discounts" "People like you ruin this forum, i'm better than you... blah, blah, blah... don't bother writing back, cause i'll just delete it... IDC if youre new and need advice, i'm above you so GFY."

Doesn't that pretty much sum up what you PM'd me? And Boxkita, you chime right in with him most of the time, do you feel the need for approval? Actually that's most of you on here. You'll all usually be nice and give decent feedback or suggestions... or else kindly shoot the shit; Then the next day its negativity. Is there some type of forum Bi-Polar

My car isn't slammed, but I do like C/O's better than a sh!tty set of shocks and springs. "Heat Sink"= TMIC (and you knew exactly what I meant, f**k stick), considering I got that from this site, that's your slang pal. Just thought it was funny. Also, if a being/acting as a tuner only applies to shops/vendors, well, then there are a shit load of posers on this site, congrats. I tore down my R1, polished my frame, gave it a tune up, then sanded and painted my fairings. I'll be ripping the tranny out of my LGT and replacing the clutch & upgrading my tonight... what are you doing? Oh right nothing, because Infamous Tuning is the tuner, NOT you. I thought one of you told me that this was a great site and to stick around? All I hear are insults and negativity... but hey, im done, floors yours run your mouths.:rolleyes:

>Likes cheap coilovers

>doesn't like sh!tty set of shocks and springs

>Thinks koni/*insert respected spring here* is shit

wat

• I Donated
I've heard heat sink, but soak would work... maybe? IDK does it matter?:lol:

I have never heard an intercooler referred to as a "heat sink" before.

"Heat soak" refers to the tendency of TMICs to get saturated with heat in hot weather and/or stop-and-go traffic. Which, incidentally, the cheaper aftermarket TMICs are even more vulnerable to... ;)

I think there is a place for budget coil-overs. Even if they dont provide the same results as a pair of Koni+springs do, you can still learn from them. Learning how to adjust your dampning, camber, preload, ride height, and corner balancing are things that attract people to coil overs.

Agree 100%. I would WAY rather live in a world with many options of varying degrees of cost and quality than just expensive options. I think that many coils on the market force the good ones to stay on top of their game as to differentiate quality and performance wise just like good capitalism is supposed to work.

I think its when people who care about static drops more than perfomance start to make performance claims when they are riding bumpstops that we have a problem.

Do I believe BC Coils can be fast on the track? Yes. I know they can. But they will need special valving, matching with springs, etc, etc. AST I can swap springs and dampening per track, tire tw/grip, etc and still have a comfortable ride home.

Do I believe AST/Moton/etc make any difference to a car riding bumpstops? No. Do I believe they make any difference with next to no travel? No.

In fact, if you are all about stance, PLEASE, do not waste your money on KW or AST. Dropping the coils below their designed hight only causes them to blow outfaster and will cause problems. IMO if stance is the goal, its best to find the coils designed for the lowest static drop, ride be damned.

1) Be respectful and civil to other members (this includes Admins, Mods, and Vendors), even if you disagree with them.

2) Any unacceptable content (threads, posts, member names, avatars or subject lines containing profanity, sexually graphic, or offensive language, etc) can be edited, closed, or deleted.

3) We do not allow harassing, threatening, racist, abusive, hateful, violent, demeaning or obscene language or behavior. This includes such behavior as 'thread jacking', 'griefing', 'bullying', or 'toolish' towards other members and staff.

4) Do not flood or spam, post chain letters, pyramid schemes, junk mail, or URLs for outside sites that violate any of these guidelines.

5) No commercial solicitation or advertising will be allowed, unless you have 'Vendor' status. If you are interested in Vendor status, please visit our Services Page for subscription options.

6) This is a public discussion forum. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public.

7) Please keep in mind that other members may claim expertise or status (legal, medical, etc) that they do not, in fact, possess, and use discretion in following their advice.

8) If you come across a post that you feel is inappropriate, please use the "Report" function and notify us.

Hey max why don't u follow the rules??

Believe you break rule 1 and 3 on a daily basis

I believe you were bitching in your thread about people breaking rules. Smh.

Back on topic.

How I see it. Buy what ever part meets the budget/needs.

1000$ coilovers are not track worthy, you want to have ride height adjustment with okay ride comfort, bc/stance/ect are your best bet. You want track coilovers, then expect to spend a few thousand on a decent setup.

This is the one and only time I am going to say this... Stay on topic and keep all the crap talk to PM's.

If any of you post anything that can be construed as an attack towards another individual on the forums I will start handing out infractions and escalating it up from there if you continue even further.

THIS IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING

You guys are completely overlooking those Taiwanese coilovers. Those coilovers will perform to a level that most of us would be happy with on track.

Also, setting up a car's suspension with any coilover will make it handle better. Most guys who buy cheaper coilovers don't have the time, money, or knowledge to dial in the shocks (if they can even be dialed in LOL), alignment and ride height. I've seen my fair share of POS coilovers.

I personally have coilovers that are well under $1000 on my car.

Under my sponsorship I helped the company developed the dampers by giving them feedback.

Here's a video from a few months back. 2:06 flat at BW 13CW.

My car only makes 210whp and I'm on Hankook RS3.

This is the one and only time I am going to say this... Stay on topic and keep all the crap talk to PM's.

If any of you post anything that can be construed as an attack towards another individual on the forums I will start handing out infractions and escalating it up from there if you continue even further.

THIS IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING

I dont believe you :lol::p

My car isn't slammed, but I do like C/O's better than a sh!tty set of shocks and springs. "Heat Sink"= TMIC (and you knew exactly what I meant, f**k stick), considering I got that from this site, that's your slang pal. Just thought it was funny. Also, if a being/acting as a tuner only applies to shops/vendors, well, then there are a shit load of posers on this site, congrats. I tore down my R1, polished my frame, gave it a tune up, then sanded and painted my fairings. I'll be ripping the tranny out of my LGT and replacing the clutch & upgrading my flywheel tonight... what are you doing? Oh right nothing, because Infamous Tuning is the tuner, NOT you. I thought one of you told me that this was a great site and to stick around? All I hear are insults and negativity... but hey, im done, floors yours run your mouths.:rolleyes:

Ive felt as you do previously but then I realized there are folks that thrive on "the response" you know? Sometime you just gotta let that ish ride.

2.5i header to 3.0R cans to LGT BOV's I just like to read about the stuff other owners do on this site and help out without the holier than thou responses if at all possible. :redface:

Back to cheap C/O's ive got BC's (which are cheap according to this thread) Total setup is: Tribeca 25mm bar up front w/ OEM Forester rear endlinks, 20mm solid in the rear with OEM endlinks, BC's, F/R tower bars and 224/45/17 tires.

I set the BC to 15 clicks from soft, Skyline drive was quite fun.

so this thread is pros and CONS of cheap c/o. However, any suggestion that a particular c/o might have negative aspects, a number of people dogpile on them for being overly negative. Waspgt stated this thread wad about identifying c/o that fixated on stance. Then the thread morphed into a best sub $1000 c/o for going to the track. Which attracts people who actually track their family performance lgt's. Said track rats (you go more than 10 days/year, you're a track rat) get routinely bashed for getting overly critical if the choices being offered for tracking a lgt.

Now, I track an lgt wagon on BC racing c/o. I bought them knowing they were not the best option. I took them to a racecar shop and had them make the best possible adjustment to them for track use. As best as I can remember, I've never told anyone this is an ideal setup. As a matter of fact, I've said repeatedly this is compromise setup and you should understand that before tracking your car and expecting Ohlin type performance.

Now, with regards my comments parroting lagt, you're incorrect. Max and I have a long running discussion on what it takes to be competitive with an lgt. Every once in awhile, they spill into a thread like this. I let it be because I think some may learn from our discussions. If you don't care, stfu because we're not talking to you.

This pages' diatribes notwithstanding, for the most part, I enjoyed reading this thread. I looked at many of these choices before buying my BC's. However, in my case, I talked to a number of vendors on this forum and local race shops, all of whom told me I was compromising. Inspite of their excellent advice (and unfortunately correct), I ignored them. My first track day was an exercise in frustration as the c/o underperformed. They are now in need of a rebuild, which is not free.

I still hold that if you want to track your lgt, do the day or two on the stock setup. If you still like it, change one thing at a time as you max out the current setup. Unless you are an experienced builder of racecars, you have zero experience on what it takes to make a track worthy lgt.

With regards lagt laptimes and places, before you throw stones post up your first five track days fastest times along with those of your fellow lappers, er, racers. That Max chose to time trial in his few lapping days ever is ballsy on his part. Again, put or shut up.

....unsubscribing

Archived