LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again . . . harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Just feel the flow, it's like a carousel, put your quarter in, get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around, circular. Feel the music, the flow, circular, all good things.

http://www.pluggedin.com/~/media/PIO/Images/Movies/1999/Q1/258.jpg.ashx

. . . Of course until the camber plate develops jarring rattles, mounting bolts shear, oil seals cease to seal, and the damper no longer controls the spring.

Now I just wonder why Wasp bought a LGT to do this to. Why not just get a (far cheaper) 2.5i to rice out? It probably can't be made any slower than it already is...

words of sheer wisdom

words of sheer wisdom

How does 'cheap' coilovers translate to slower car than 2.5i? Just curious.

It seems to me that many of you guys forget that in this community, there are many walks of life. People with different interests, preferences, financial capabilities etc. Wasp's ISCs were mine before they were his. They were a stepping stone. I learned all about coilovers when I owned them... and I achieved the drop I was looking for with them. You don't need entry level KWs just to achieve a drop. Seems like a good majority of people on this board want some kind of drop anyways... so what's the big deal that Wasp chose ISC?

Maybe I'm missing something but leave the kid alone! If everyone ran the same modifications on their car, there would be no reason to go to car shows and see everyone's displays of being different. :spin: What's wrong with buying what you can afford? I'll be honest, if I was focused on buying what I could afford, I might be on another forum somewhere. I happen to like my little car and I've had fun buying and installing 'stepping stones' over the years until I learned more and my tastes changed.

Flame me if you want but please try to remember that the spirit of community seems to be lost in this thread, why can't people just wish the guy luck and leave him alone?

Just because you upgrade a part doesn't mean you upgrade your performance. What's the point of getting the stance you want on a car and making your performance (handling) suffer? I laugh when I hear people say that my car handles on rails when they slap on some s-techs or some cheap coilover.

When I slapped an upgraded tmic my car had more heat soak and was slower. I didn't let my mind play tricks on me. When I put belstiens w/htechs on my car my car handled like crap compared to my stock suspension. That's when I learned you have to get quality parts to do it right.

People getting the stance they want for a cheap price and making their car worse is the dumbest crap I've ever seen. Why by an lgt to make it worse?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Flame me if you want but please try to remember that the spirit of community seems to be lost in this thread, why can't people just wish the guy luck and leave him alone?

Have you not read the title of this thread? He wants to know the pros and cons of cheap coilovers. Most of the folks here have given the pros and the cons of those cheap coilovers. I will reiterate them for you again :)

Pros-

Cheap Entry Cost

Can get the stance you want

Cons-

Safety (poorer handling)

Inconsistent dampening within the same set

Poor Quality (reliability)

Good struts and springs actually handle better

I'm sure I've forgotten some here but you get the idea.

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

How does 'cheap' coilovers translate to slower car than 2.5i? Just curious.

You misunderstand. He's interested in stance, not performance. He may as well have started with a 2.5i, rather than handicap a GT with a poor suspension.

It seems to me that many of you guys forget that in this community, there are many walks of life. People with different interests, preferences, financial capabilities etc.

You're correct. Perhaps there should be subforum for those interested in form over function, whether it's 'stance', 'hellaflush' or 'teh rumble mang'. The premise would be that performance or safety considerations need never be addressed.

You don't need entry level KWs just to achieve a drop.

[/Quote]

Agree. If you're just looking to slam the car, it's a waste to buy a quality suspension.

[quote=08Legacy08;4446551

Seems like a good majority of people on this board want some kind of drop anyways... so what's the big deal that Wasp chose ISC?

A lot do end up lowering their car slightly in the quest for better performance, but I don't think that's what you mean. Those who think they will get good performance from cheapo coilovers like ISC could use a warning about what they're getting into, and we are providing that. I don't care what kind of parts WaspGT has bought. It's too late for him.

[quote=08Legacy08;4446551

Maybe I'm missing something but leave the kid alone!

[/Quote]

When your help is required on the moderator team an admin will contact you.

What's wrong with buying what you can afford?

If you're looking for performance and can't afford quality parts, I'd advise you to stay stock until you can. As many here will attest, a set of Konis and springs will beat any similarly priced coilover setup hands-down for performance.

why can't people just wish the guy luck and leave him alone?

If he had started a build thread or posted photos in the appropriate section, no one would care about it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• I Donated
You're correct. Perhaps there should be subforum for those interested in form over function, whether it's 'stance', 'hellaflush' or 'teh rumble mang'. The premise would be that performance or safety considerations need never be addressed.

Not a bad idea! People can post about tinted taillights and smoked headlights there too. We'll call it the "Rice Forum." :lol: I will even resist the urge to post in it.

Not a bad idea! People can post about tinted taillights and smoked headlights there too. We'll call it the "Rice Forum." :lol: I will even resist the urge to post in it.

I like my smoked tail lights :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Have you not read the title of this thread? He wants to know the pros and cons of cheap coilovers. Most of the folks here have given the pros and the cons of those cheap coilovers. I will reiterate them for you again :)

Pros-

Cheap Entry Cost

Can get the stance you want

Cons-

Safety (poorer handling)

Inconsistent dampening within the same set

Poor Quality (reliability)

Good struts and springs actually handle better

I'm sure I've forgotten some here but you get the idea.

-Mike Paisan

Getting back on track here, Mike, i know you arent for my suspension choice, i get it. Nonetheless, it is what it is. With that in mind, would you still recommend a roll center kit for my LGT? Does Whiteline offer such a kit? I havent checked since i bought the CAB kit.

Thanks

Getting back on track here, Mike, i know you arent for my suspension choice, i get it. Nonetheless, it is what it is. With that in mind, would you still recommend a roll center kit for my LGT? Does Whiteline offer such a kit? I havent checked since i bought the CAB kit.

Thanks

Yes, any lowered more than marginally LGT should have a RCK installed to help fix the geometry of lowering it. WL does sell one :)

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

First off before looking at coilovers, you have to figure out what are your performance goals? Are you going hellaflush and but still want that VIP ride? Then I suggest KW's. if you do the occasional autox event and hope to do some open track events then I suggest the KW's. if its your money buying the coilovers, I suggest the KW's.

I went with the Tein Flex for two reasons, one I got them on sale, and the second reason they don't make the KW Variant III's for our car. People who don't like Teins more often than not didn't install them properly. The valving does suck the Teins, compression and rebound are not separately controlled. But, with that, there is a sweet spot on these. The best settings are 1/8 inch preload for the springs while off of the vehicle, once this is set you adjust your desired ride height with single collar on the lower mount, leave the spring you just preloaded alone! Once you have completed this, look at how a clock moves, study this movement! It's important, more often than not people screw this one up, I still do it time to time too. Now you will want to turn the valves on the coilovers all the way fully clockwise. (Sticky valves sometimes you need to click it back and forth then go clockwise) You need to do this routine every time you adjust them! You need to go fully clockwise to the hardest setting then back it off to your desired amount. I have been happiest with the six clicks counterclockwise front and rear.To me, this is the most compliant ride, and the best track dampening. I have had them At this setting for over four years. Gone through many set of tires, many track days, countless autox's and I love them. On the street love them too, but I'm a very aggressive driver, so I don't have separate setting for the street. IMHO they really do suck if any one of these settings are changed.

The other issue with Tein is if you don't know what your doing, the customer service sucks more than the valving. I had a friend unknowingly mucked with one of my coilover valve settings, and the car bounced and jolted all over the place, from one coilover being out of adjustment. So check and recheck your changes.

People that compare the KW variant II's (2) with the Tein Flex are morons, sorry but its true. Tein Comfort Flex's are more comparable. The KW's are cool and I like them I think KW all round are a better product, but from what I wanted KW V2's would not deliver. The V3's would be awesome, if they had them for my car and I would have forked over the extra money for them, and people would complain my ride is too stiff.

So if you still want a compliant ride and do some aggressive, semi competitive events,(more for fun) not to actually win, the the KW's are awesome. If you want to win spend $7k and get a set of Öhlins....

I told you all to keep it on topic or I'd delete your posts. If you can't manage to keep the thread on topic we can always escalate up from here.

Uh, confused. With me not posting & LALGT banned, this thread looks to be on topic and answering the original questions. It has even sucked in 2 knowledgeable vendors responding and keeping it on topic (much more than was the case awhile back). What else are you looking for in terms of on topic?:spin:

my BC's are at 18k miles. Most of my commute is walking speed, so handling ability is not required. I no longer track the wagon, so the gokart ride doesnt bother me too much. Although some days, I wish I had popped for the set of Tarmac1s with GTWORX camber plates in the front & Spec-B tophats in the rear that RCE spec'ed out for me (had to look it up).

I told you all to keep it on topic or I'd delete your posts. If you can't manage to keep the thread on topic we can always escalate up from here.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, and i agree partially... but sometimes it can be alot more colorful to widen the playing field as to whats allowed and whats not. The bickering, for instance, between Fahr Side and i... sure thats just juvenile and should be avoided. However, the wars between Max and i were a whole lot of fun. I think that people are beginning to miss the point of this forum... which is to come and shoot the sh*t with some really cool people who are into the same thing that you are... and maybe learn a few things while you're at it (which i have and am grateful). The "carnage" as Boxkita put it is what brings everyone in and makes things interesting... but somehow we always get things back on topic all on our own. The occasional butting of heads is a little hard to avoid.

Honestly, i cant believe that a Mod is policing this thread, but completely missed the one i deleted right before it. Now that thread was crazy:lol:

Archived