LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still miss my 05 CTS-V. Only car that was faster AND more comfy than my STi and LGT.

:)

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

People are still buying these things?

:coffee:

Sadly, a lot of people have to learn their life-lessons the hard way...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Sadly, some of us still are buying "these things". I like the ability of changing my ride height on a whim, which is helpful considering I live in New England and the road quality changes with the seasons. I can also give myself free alignments whenever I want. I don't track my car, so I don't NEED to spend over a grand on a set of Koni's and springs. I'll admit that the ride was better in my A4 on Bilstein HD's and B&G springs, but if I set the height to a 1.75" wheel gap, the ISC N1 Comforts ride very similar. The way my car sits now there's still some wheel gap, but it rides perfectly and my squat & body roll are gone. I'm not trying to step on anyone's feet, but they make different suspension set ups for different styles of driving, right? So why try to make one set up be the only avenue? Tuning should be unique to each individual tuner... isn't that what its all about?

after that autox fiasco, I stopped by the Cadillac dealer on the way home just to what I was up against. Corvette in wolf's clothing came to mind. :)

I just sold a pre-owned CTS-V K Series. Extremely fast car, and they sound absolutely amazing... and yes, its a full ZR1 drivetrain so a base "Corvette in 'wolf's' clothing" would be accurate!

Also... check this out;)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2013-bmw-m5-vs-2012-cadillac-cts-v

Tuning should be unique to each individual tuner... isn't that what its all about?

Agree but you aren't a tuner and parts have to have a baseline of quality to even be tuned. What you have is a collection of parts that are as likely to make the car slower as faster. Additionally, tuning hardly has to do with stiff static drops lacking consideration of tire shock loads, matching for tw compound, overall use, etc. In general, these are visual mods and improvements to people that mistakenly assume that body roll has a lot to do with traction. IT DOES NOT.

Good for a static drop visually for someone to drive on the street probably more carefully than stock an will need rebuild long before OEM would need replacement? Absolutely.

Visual improvement? Absolutely.

I just sold a pre-owned CTS-V K Series.

Sorry for the /ot but... WHY???

I thought seriously about selling my LGT a couple months ago when I was offered 28k and getting a CTSV.

• I Donated
Agree but you aren't a tuner and parts have to have a baseline of quality to even be tuned. What you have is a collection of parts that are as likely to make the car slower as faster. Additionally, tuning hardly has to do with stiff static drops lacking consideration of tire shock loads, matching for tw compound, overall use, etc. In general, these are visual mods and improvements to people that mistakenly assume that body roll has a lot to do with traction. IT DOES NOT.

He's using "tuner" in the ricer meaning, not the performance-improvement meaning. ;)

Sorry for the /ot but... WHY???

I thought seriously about selling my LGT a couple months ago when I was offered 28k and getting a CTSV.

He works for a car dealer... it was probably in inventory.

Where's that Icy Hot Stuntaz team photo when you need it?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

slammed car looks like drift car. Drift cars are cool. Ergo, everyone wants one.

Next fashion trend: Radiator on side of car.

... or maybe, pre-crunched rear bumpers

You el-cheapo coilover guys need to get together and contact Ground Control for a set of sleeves. With all the BC, ISC, POS, KSport, etc threads, I know there's a market here. They already make a bunch of conversion kits for other Subarus.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/category.php/CA=90

no one wanted slammed cars 2 years ago. why is it such a fad now? no matter what a nice, fast car will ALWAYS be cool. same applies with handling.

lolwut? low and slow has been around as long as performance modding. :lol:

i'm talking about how much it caught on. i don't remember anyone saying that they want their car laying frame until two years ago. all this stance and hardparked junk is what i'm referring to.

While "stanced" may be a new trend, laying frame is definitely not. In the early nineties I was heavily involved in the Lowrider scene and we were doing airbags and hydraulics with notched frames and custom multi-link suspension on old schools and other cars. It was the "thing" to have full reverse offset spokes and skinny whitewalls vs. herra flush though. The early Hot Rod era had plenty of "lows" as well. Being low isn't anything new - having retarded amounts of camber and stretched tires is a newer fad just like donks were 5 or so years ago.

Trolls can say what they want, but the fact remains that I'm right. Not to mention I don't build rice, those cars are for children & sh!t talkers... which unfortunately seems to make up the majority of this site. I build cars, ricers apply stickers, suck1:lol: Also, I figured Max would remember that I sell cars, we've had this conversation before... why the hell would I get rid of an 80k car to keep a 10k car?:rolleyes:

Moving on... now that my suspension is taken care of, id like to install my turbo upgrade, but I need a heatsink upgrade, and don't want to spend a small fortune. I heard there are a couple of vendors on here that have some for under $300, or is that BS?

• I Donated
Trolls can say what they want, but the fact remains that I'm right. Not to mention I don't build rice, those cars are for children & sh!t talkers... which unfortunately seems to make up the majority of this site. I build cars, ricers apply stickers, suck1:lol:

Rice, to me, is defined as modifications that do not increase the performance or other functionality of a car, but instead are merely for looks. Thus, cheap coilovers are rice.

Moving on... now that my suspension is taken care of, id like to install my turbo upgrade, but I need a heatsink upgrade, and don't want to spend a small fortune. I heard there are a couple of vendors on here that have some for under $300, or is that BS?

I assume you mean an intercooler upgrade. If so, you can probably find a used Torque Solutions TMIC or a used one of the Chinese knockoffs of the Process West TMIC for under $300, but the cheapest you're going to be able to find a good, new intercooler is probably around $500-600.

Dude you crack me up so hard.

Rice is any mod that does not improve the car or has claimed performance gains. You shortened your travel. That automatically means you reduced your quality of ride on the road.

Building cars is something Yimisport, Infamous Performance and AZP installs does. You occasionally install bolt ons. Don't kid yourself. Claiming to be a builder further discredits your opinions.

Why the hell WOULD you get rid of a 80k car to keep a 10k car car?

WTF IS A HEAT SINK??? I have heat sinks on my electric motors of my RC cars.

What turbo upgrade?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CTSV? <---the only answer I really care about :lol:

Archived