LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LALGT & Boxkita, thank you for posting those track pics and comments. I'd love to go to the track... if there was one around here. I used to drag at the Epping Drag Strip here in NH back in day... but i haven't been in years... and no, i've never owned a "10 sec car".;)

My LGT is a 11 second car. His is a high 12/low 13 second car IIRC.

One of the main reasons that i need to tighten up my suspension is that the LGT's ass end sinks to the ground when i launch... i believe it's called squatting (which in turn requires more anti-squat?)?

If I understand correctly, its one of the reasons Boxkits uses rake in his car. Its why I originally went to KWv2. OEM struts/springs were okay up to stage 1 power. At stage 2 I started seeing sky when I hit the throttle. I went stage 3 and added a turbo and I started unloading the open front differential under hard launch and spinning front tires. Not great on the drivetrain and not fast. Got KWv2 to control the squat and dive (braking).

and because of this the car wallows at higher speeds particularly while corning. Or are those bike terms?:lol:

Believe it or not, it wallows because its underswayed not because of the springs/shocks.:redface: Want to turn confidently? Stay oem ride height and swap in swaybars and rsb mount. Steering still feeling vague? Rear LCA bushings, replace with poly (whiteline). No coilover is going to get ride of the vage feeling worn LCA bushings give nor will it make up for being underswayed. If you get KWv2 without doing swaybars first (or along with) you will over damp the coils trying to control body roll the wrong way (just like everyone else does whos car I get in, I am constantly reducing peoples overdampening:spin:). Going to LOWER it too? Need everything above as well as ROLL CENTER KIT. No RCK and lowered LGT? Sh!t steering.

All i know is that i like lower, maybe not slammed, but definately lower, and much stiffer. The car rides way too soft for me, it feels like a Chevy!

Sounds like your struts are worn out (no longer dampening). My oem were TOAST at 60k, polishing bumpstops. Just swapping in koni inserts on the oem springs would make your car totally different. KYB GR2 for ~$300 all around would make the car feel more fresh and last 60k miles.:lol: Bilsteins are rebuildable. In all seriousness you need to go into the regional section of the forum and start a local meet or find guys who have upgraded suspensions and go ride in their cars.

I like the set of KW's in my Golf, i'm seriously considering buying a set for my LGT. Lifetime rebuilds? The KW's eventually pay for themselves.

KW is hoping owners think so. I doubt most owners ever need to rebuild/keep their coils beyond 40-50k. Thats 4 years or most users. Few people keeps cars longer than 4 years. (I've had the LGT since 04).

Out of all the amazing cars you could choose... why choose Johnny Tran?

Wrong thread and too long to explain to someone that doesnt understand technical track setup. Suffice to say, fast stock, stupid fast with brake pads, tires, some suspension bits and a little aero. RETARDED s/charged or turbo'd. Easy to lighten. Cheap to run compared to a LGT/STI/EVO/AWD 4cyl turbo. Cheap like a Miata? No. Also a LOT faster. S2k are VERY pointable. awd turbo cars are not (unless you mean a car that came in on a trailer and in that case, anything goes).

• I Donated
D2 Racing RS Street C/O set up. They say for the "Track Only" on the box... but i'm not sure i'd put faith in that for under a grand. $991

http://www.carshopusa.com/ebay/d2-10.jpg

KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers Dampers Kit... again I've never used them... but I know they also manufacture AIR RIDE too...:confused: $975

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KSport-Kontrol-Pro-Coilovers-Dampers-Kit-00-01-02-03-04-Subaru-Legacy-B4-/00/s/MzI1WDUwMA==/$(KGrHqZ,!o!F!NG+C1yMBQJZw5grkQ~~60_12.JPG

FWIW, Ksport and D2 are manufactured by the same facility in China (or at least they were as couple years ago).

I just helped with a coilover install on the car of a friend of my brother's. He had Ksport coilovers. The pillowball in the front right coilover had failed to the extent that when we jacked up the car, the rest of the coilover fell out of the upper mount. If he had gone over a big bump, the same thing could have happened while driving.

Really drove home for me why you shouldn't buy cheap coilovers.

In all seriousness you need to go into the regional section of the forum and start a local meet or find guys who have upgraded suspensions and go ride in their cars.

Quoted because this is a really really good point. Why try and reinvent the wheel with your limited knowledge when many suspension components have already been proven to work (or not)? There's a recipe for this platform and all you have to do is follow it. I had squat on acceleration, dive under braking, understeer and lack of tracking in sweepers. I don't now!

WL RC/BS Kit

WL Steering Rack bushings

WL ALK and front inner LCA bushings

WL Rear camber kit

Bilsteins w/ Swifts (Konis are likely a better option but I got the Bils w/ the car)

Hotchkis F/R Sways with Poly bushings

Kartboy solid Endlinks

AVO Reinforced RSB brackets

Good summer performance rubber as wide as you can go on the rim of choice

End result - a whole new handling experience with enough comfort for DD duties and loves to be pushed hard when choosing to drive "spirited".

My Subaru performance mechanic who fabricates and sells custom rally suspension, is an accomplished rally race driver, as well as a race driving instructor and focuses solely on Subaru said it was "the best handling Legacy setup he's ever driven". (note he hasn't driven a track application 4th gen like Max etc. ;) )

Sounds like your struts are worn out (no longer dampening). My oem were TOAST at 60k, polishing bumpstops. Just swapping in koni inserts on the oem springs would make your car totally different. KYB GR2 for ~$300 all around would make the car feel more fresh and last 60k miles. Bilsteins are rebuildable. In all seriousness you need to go into the regional section of the forum and start a local meet or find guys who have upgraded suspensions and go ride in their cars.

Although i could appreciate every last thing that you said, let me comment on this. I agree, my struts are shot, and i think that one of the rear springs has a small fracture (GD NE pot holes). I traded my 98 A4 for this car to a young couple you lived in Claremont, NH (in the sticks right next to Vermont). They had purchased it at around 110K, and i got it from them at around 128k, it's now rounding 139-140k. I'm replacing things as fast as i can, with very limited funding (in sales/work is slow). I'm doing my best to purchase things that are needed right now as opposed to things that i want. For instance i've done a steering rack, 3 hubs, WL LCAB, WL TAB, Moog endlinks, etc. I've got a couple of power adders like the DP, UP Pipe, Cross Pipe(although most of you tell me it's useless.), i'm also (actually now as we speak) polishing the insides of my factory exhaust manifolds, and am wrapping them in Thermo Tec before i reinstall (actually everythings getting wrapped and silicone soaked). Oh, and i'm finally doing my ball joints. My point is that i've hated the loose suspension since i've had the car... but i'm distracted by other things so i haven't gotten to it yet... which is why i've been annoying all of you, by bombarding everyone with questions on what i should choose for a set up. At this point i'm nearly positive i'm going with KW, not just because people have beat it into me, but because it seems like the right set up for me. I've got low in my VW, i'd like some clean power and precision handling out of this LGT. I enjoy driving it now... i want to enhance that. I'd like to make it worthy enough to tackle the mountain passes in Laconia NH.

Quoted because this is a really really good point. Why try and reinvent the wheel with your limited knowledge when many suspension components have already been proven to work (or not)? There's a recipe for this platform and all you have to do is follow it. I had squat on acceleration, dive under braking, understeer and lack of tracking in sweepers. I don't now!

WL RC/BS Kit

WL Steering Rack bushings

WL ALK and front inner LCA bushings

WL Rear camber kit

Bilsteins w/ Swifts (Konis are likely a better option but I got the Bils w/ the car)

Hotchkis F/R Sways with Poly bushings

Kartboy solid Endlinks

AVO Reinforced RSB brackets

Good summer performance rubber as wide as you can go on the rim of choice

End result - a whole new handling experience with enough comfort for DD duties and loves to be pushed hard when choosing to drive "spirited".

My Subaru performance mechanic who fabricates and sells custom rally suspension, is an accomplished rally race driver, as well as a race driving instructor and focuses solely on Subaru said it was "the best handling Legacy setup he's ever driven". (note he hasn't driven a track application 4th gen like Max etc. ;) )

That seems like a great list in parts, and yes i agree that would definitelty change my handling and ride by far. I would love to meet up with some of the people around me to see how there suspension is set up, but5 the weather right now (ie; been getting tons of snow... actually storming 14-17" right now!) has been out of control, and so i dont think id get too much out of riding with them.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just creating another thread to learn and discuss... and to meet people that i can learn from. I'm sincerely hoping that this thread can stay just as it is... calm:lol:

There are so many people on this forum that swear by the parts that they use, but then i've heard from many others not to trust in those same parts. This thread is exclusively going over some of the many coilover set ups you can go with that are less expensive, depending on what they will be used for. I was really hoping that some newer members would chime in here and ask some questions (other than myself), considering there are veterans here that have actually experienced some of these kits in action.

and to that point I add... I spent months researching what I wanted based on my requirements. My research included discussing my needs with some of this forums well known vendors who are working on these cars daily, members who posted ongoing discussions about trial and error, and my local Subaru performance mechanic. I didn't just buy this stuff and proclaim it's the only way to go - I went with known goods and the end result was fantastic.

@waspgt - after doing so much research on c/o, it'd be great if you could update the reviews page with these - http://legacygt.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=20

Whats really funny is that BC's have a much higher rating than KW's on the link you posted, not to mention over a grand cheaper. What's even more amusing is all the positive rating forum members are giving Megan:lol:

There are quite a few that i posted on here that i didn't see there. Anyhow, aside from the sarcasm, i appreciate the link. I'm still new to the site and apparently haven't explored as much as i could have. Even still... I like posting threads, being proactive and talking to people. I get a better understanding from it, and i get to meet and talk to cool people that are into the same sh*t as i am.

Whats really funny is that BC's have a much higher rating than KW's on the link you posted, not to mention over a grand cheaper.

Also quite a bit of difference in the amount of people who can afford KW's (or other comparable c/o). A lot more people buy BC as a budget coil to get them low and offer a little bit stiffer ride. Those people will rate it as a great product being that it suits their needs. Those that buy KW, AST, etc. typically have a different set of needs that would not be met by BC, ISC, etc.

Also quite a bit of difference in the amount of people who can afford KW's (or other comparable c/o). A lot more people buy BC as a budget coil to get them low and offer a little bit stiffer ride. Those people will rate it as a great product being that it suits their needs. Those that buy KW, AST, etc. typically have a different set of needs that would not be met by BC, ISC, etc.

*sigh...

:coffee:

Buck up little cowpoke its back on topic. In the meantime, watch these videos (car at many different stages of build, fuels, turbos, etc)

First time @ APEX (yes I can actually drive even tho' I say I suck, its all relative - I'm no Senna)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj6W3r9FW2U&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=2]KROPS APEX 2/23/13 - YouTube[/ame]

Hunting a stripped and gutted track miata @ APEX

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHekeW5TaHI&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=1]LGT @ KROPS "Star Destroyer vs Rebel Cruiser" - YouTube[/ame]

Taking it easy, learning WSIR (a stupid fast track)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMOHIeusyY&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=5]WSIR "learning way round" - YouTube[/ame]

Flyby at WSIR (taking it easy, shifting into 5th ~120-125mph)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=all4dat_Ezs&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=4]IMG 2135 - YouTube[/ame]

This beemer driver was a douche. He didn't want to get lined up against me. Lost to me on a vf39 on pump gas AND he beat my r/t and 60' :lol:.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yo328cBJA4&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=8]Subaru Legacy GT vs BMW - YouTube[/ame]

This mustang was given as a graduation gift. Good to see it go straight to the track:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjUql8z16I&list=UUM9tSKFs6OtIPlPL4R0Sa2A&index=10]Subaru Legacy GT smokes a Mustang GT at Fontana - YouTube[/ame]

Archived