LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of how many other threads there are on this subject, I think this one is pretty great because of the people who have been active in helping to build it... and we've kept it on topic... so who the F is giving it shitty ratings? This thread has everything... knowledge, pics, vids, and jokes. Wow. That's not very nice.:spin:

• 1 month later...
ISC N1, says new to the US? $955

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ISC-Suspension-N1-Coilovers-for-05-09-Subaru-Legacy-GT-/00/s/MzU1WDU1MA==/$(KGrHqRHJC4E8+y9k5e-BPYI8)eRH!~~60_3.JPG

Got these for $450 from 08Legacy08... not a bad ride at all! Thanks Shaun

LA, you run a really good line. i would love to take mine to a road course, but not with it being my only car. the drag strip is the only place i'm comfortable with going flat out since it's only for about 14 seconds

LA, you run a really good line.

Funny I feel slow. Sucks that my closest racer friends are fast as f--k.

i would love to take mine to a road course, but not with it being my only car. the drag strip is the only place i'm comfortable with going flat out since it's only for about 14 seconds

If you are running 14s at the strip you won't beat on your car THAT bad on the road course. Dont run in weather hotter than 85, learn to bleed your brakes, get a set of track wheels/tires and keep an eye on your brake pad consumption. Otherwise, enjoy 1x month with no major ill effects till you get good.

i ran a stock 13.5 @101.2. i was just estimating an average for most of the other guys

If the LGT runs a 13.5 1/4 mile stock... ??? That's insane! Does that mean my car should run in the low 13's high 12's no problem?

I paid $3000 for my ASTs lol. That reminds me, I need to put those KWv2 up for sale.

After you rebuild them of course? Last thing I heard is that they were all leaking from you ripping around the track!

If the LGT runs a 13.5 1/4 mile stock... ??? That's insane! Does that mean my car should run in the low 13's high 12's no problem?

No, Brett is a far superior driver than anyone in a straight line-ask him:lol:

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

if you run in the right temp than yes. anything over 59* will be not as fast. 48* was the temp when i ran. i'm also pretty smooth with le shifting which also affects your time... and i only weigh 138lbs.

After you rebuild them of course? Last thing I heard is that they were all leaking from you ripping around the track!

Hell no. Why would I do that when I can just sell for $550 shipped to Miles @ KW and let the next owner get the fresh build paperwork and specify any special valving or oil weights?

If somone wants a set of KWv2 for a total way, way, way less than new, they can pay the $600-800 to have them rebuilt to like new or custom built to their specs, and me the $550 to ship them out for rebuild but thanks for the advertising, smartass. ;)

Hell no. Why would I do that when I can just sell for $550 shipped to Miles @ KW and let the next owner get the fresh build paperwork and specify any special valving or oil weights?

If somone wants a set of KWv2 for a total way, way, way less than new, they can pay the $600-800 to have them rebuilt to like new or custom built to their specs, and me the $550 to ship them out for rebuild but thanks for the advertising, smartass. ;)

:soap_box:

Out of all the amazing cars you could choose... why choose Johnny Tran?

Because it's the only affordable car I can sit in with a helmet on. :)

And before you decide what coilovers to track with, decide which class you wanna run in, then mod your car as the rules allow.

If it's just stance.. eh, just cut the coils with a hacksaw.

And before you decide what coilovers to track with, decide which class you wanna run in, then mod your car as the rules allow.

This is wrong. Mod your car as you see fit. Then show up for first event and let them class you with the full-race prepped Cadillac cts-v on wide race tires. :spin::spin: Not that I did that or anything like it.

In most cases, fiddling with turbo or going front mount will punt you into a class where any c/o is legal.

lmao shouldn't you take that as a compliment?

Depends. Cadillac cleaned my clock in the autox. Turns out he set ftod nearly every meet that year. I got the feeling I was sandbagged.

I learned in the next autox, tho. What's your mod list? Oh, its pretty much stock I think. Because I was novice, I got an instructor. After the first ride-along, he gets out and looks under the car. I'm thinking, oh crap, the jigs up. It was. They let me "win" and then put me in the Cadillac class again. I've never been back. That'll teach them...:spin:

I just looked at 15 copies of the same cheap crap coilovers that are only good if you are looking for hellaflush setup. You guys realize that they are all from the same factory with different stickers slapped on them right?

We've been through this a 100 times. Take a look at the shock dyno charts on these coilovers. That will tell you how good they are or are not....

Konis + Springs= Best $1000 setup especially for street/track setup.

KWs, RCE = Great entry level track/street setup.

AST= Great intermediate to advanced track setup.

Moton= Race setup.

With any coilover you need to R&R them on a yearly basis to clean adjust and go over them and that includes a new alignment and corner balancing afterward, so keep that in mind when you choose to buy coilovers...

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Depends. Cadillac cleaned my clock in the autox. Turns out he set ftod nearly every meet that year. I got the feeling I was sandbagged.

I learned in the next autox, tho. What's your mod list? Oh, its pretty much stock I think. Because I was novice, I got an instructor. After the first ride-along, he gets out and looks under the car. I'm thinking, oh crap, the jigs up. It was. They let me "win" and then put me in the Cadillac class again. I've never been back. That'll teach them...:spin:

so they pretty much just dropped you into the lion pit?

so they pretty much just dropped you into the lion pit?

yes, they did. At the time, I was still debating autox vs lapping. On a strict dollars per minute, autox was cheaper. However, on the more important scale of, was avg speed to the event more than avg speed from the event, autox was not helping. Autox generally resulted in +10mph increase. Lapping was/is 30mph decrease (if I make it home without nappy time, its a rare occurrence). This year's sole autox day was replaced by an instructing gig...so long autox.

I just looked at 15 copies of the same cheap crap coilovers that are only good if you are looking for hellaflush setup. You guys realize that they are all from the same factory with different stickers slapped on them right?

We've been through this a 100 times. Take a look at the shock dyno charts on these coilovers. That will tell you how good they are or are not....

Konis + Springs= Best $1000 setup especially for street/track setup.

KWs, RCE = Great entry level track/street setup.

AST= Great intermediate to advanced track setup.

Moton= Race setup.

With any coilover you need to R&R them on a yearly basis to clean adjust and go over them and that includes a new alignment and corner balancing afterward, so keep that in mind when you choose to buy coilovers...

-Mike Paisan

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Hi Mike. Welcome to the lost cause thread. Many have tried to help guide these wayward souls to a better path. I remember talking with you when I bought my $1000 c/o. Your advice was helpful and spot on, as it is in this post. Hopefully, some of the readers of this post will give you a call before wasting money on this stuff. /boxkita out

I think most people confuse a stiff ride with better handling. I think most of the reviews from people that have cheap coilovers write the good reviews the first week they own them and just say there is less body roll, less understeer and it handles better. I admittedly say that was me but was lucky enough to not have enough money to buy them when I wanted I was younger.

Archived