LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issue with the sub-1k coilovers is this:

CONSISTENCY between the dampers. I have a suspension guy with a shock dyno and the cheapo coilovers are never match and the dampening on them is all over the place. There are even some of these supposedly adjustable coilovers that have a complete placebo knob in that it doesn't do anything when changed (according to the shock dyno).

Getting mis-matched dampers doesn't do much good at all. Also once the fluid heats up on most sub-par dampers they go to crap as well.

This is the issue I have with my Megans. Hit an expansion joint on the highway and one side of the car bounces higher than the other.

They seem to have this magical ability to turn what looks like a fairly smooth road into something more akin to cobblestone. I have them on a fairly soft setting and even after 5 years they're as stiff as a rock. The ride is junky and jarring. I'd have thought they'd get softer with age.

I have to crawl over speed bumps and take driveway/parking lot entrances (typical sunken sidewalks) at pretty low speed.

I have some Bilstein HDs and pinks on the way.

^more like MothGT[/quote

I know you're drawn to me Shane, don't hate.... and Neil, theres def a little Moth in you too, because you're still fluttering around here:lol:

... and wouldn't i be the flame, considering everyones drawn here, smart guy:rolleyes:

After that comment, if that mod could chill a bit, this thread is ripe for being fun again.

:hide:

I agree... wheres Max when you need him... effing NOSAIC!:lol:

You should see this blown C6 i just took in trade, the guy put on 3 piece MHT Forged wheels, a Corsa cat-back, and a Procharger Supercharger, and a tune... but left the suspension stock. Its already pretty low but could prob use some Bilstein HD's or Koni's?:confused:

I agree... wheres Max when you need him... effing NOSAIC!:lol:

You should see this blown C6 i just took in trade, the guy put on 3 piece MHT Forged wheels, a Corsa cat-back, and a Procharger Supercharger, and a tune... but left the suspension stock. Its already pretty low but could prob use some Bilstein HD's or Koni's?:confused:

with the fountain of knowledge on this thread, I'd thought you might find something more viable for far less money.:lol:

upgrade the shiny bits, and ignore the rusty bits? That's a good plan. What did you trade for it?

with the fountain of knowledge on this thread, I'd thought you might find something more viable for far less money.:lol:

upgrade the shiny bits, and ignore the rusty bits? That's a good plan. What did you trade for it?

A 2013 Grand Sport. I sell cars numb nuts :lol:

your online presence must not reflect your offline persona...or vette buyers are so blinded that they don't care. yeah, I knew you sold cars...like page 2. :)

Or i could just be good at what i do?

8479_3077817161951_1568612541_n.jpg.df457cce01b04e064573cfe87ee7ca05.jpg

252381_3077819242003_1637905650_n.jpg.ddb46969d90079536d93e4afd30048b5.jpg

934055_3077816241928_115569651_n.jpg.bcd18de1333685ac7ef12775a9cd2518.jpg

936319_3077819642013_1155969075_n.jpg.ad903985eab6093bb7af36bfb24aa719.jpg

179730_3077819842018_1713537541_n.jpg.2738788194fbc4831ed809c73e3e3f96.jpg

983797_3077820442033_1331299744_n.jpg.ed2d1b93236df2179151e0e72831beb2.jpg

946863_3077821642063_1444386614_n.jpg.291c3e0ba634bc228126fcd5d832b657.jpg

I appreciate what you're trying to do, and i agree partially... but sometimes it can be alot more colorful to widen the playing field as to whats allowed and whats not. The bickering, for instance, between Fahr Side and i... sure thats just juvenile and should be avoided. However, the wars between Max and i were a whole lot of fun. I think that people are beginning to miss the point of this forum... which is to come and shoot the sh*t with some really cool people who are into the same thing that you are... and maybe learn a few things while you're at it (which i have and am grateful). The "carnage" as Boxkita put it is what brings everyone in and makes things interesting... but somehow we always get things back on topic all on our own. The occasional butting of heads is a little hard to avoid.

Honestly, i cant believe that a Mod is policing this thread, but completely missed the one i deleted right before it. Now that thread was crazy:lol:

In regards to Max he was given his ban due to him attacking another member in a public area. It is fine that you all want to shoot the sh!t with one another and we let you guys do it quiet a lot and some of us know who is cool with who and that its not personal towards one another in a "bad way".

What my job as a Mod is to due is to try and keep the informational threads on topic (which this one is supposed to be). If you want to joke around and jab at one another that is fine and should be in the general section's of the forums and not the informational sections.

The only reason I was ever pointed to this thread was due to a reported post so it is not like we intentionally come to ruin your guys fun we just do our best to look into things especially when something is reported.

I have no problem with you all getting a bit off topic but just remember that this is an information thread designed and placed in a section solely to inform other people on the specific topic of this thread.

With all that said... Carry on!

In regards to Max he was given his ban due to him attacking another member in a public area. It is fine that you all want to shoot the sh!t with one another and we let you guys do it quiet a lot and some of us know who is cool with who and that its not personal towards one another in a "bad way".

What my job as a Mod is to due is to try and keep the informational threads on topic (which this one is supposed to be). If you want to joke around and jab at one another that is fine and should be in the general section's of the forums and not the informational sections.

The only reason I was ever pointed to this thread was due to a reported post so it is not like we intentionally come to ruin your guys fun we just do our best to look into things especially when something is reported.

I have no problem with you all getting a bit off topic but just remember that this is an information thread designed and placed in a section solely to inform other people on the specific topic of this thread.

With all that said... Carry on!

Its fine, man. I just wanted to make sure, everything was copesthetic. I know my threads can get out of hand sometimes, but they're usually pretty fun. Thanks again!:)

I don't get how pictures of the Vette means you're good at what you do. Did I miss something?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

I took it in for 23 grand, with a ton of extras and it books huge;)

Archived