LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

• I Donated
I resurrected This thread for fun, but my point is very real. It's about choices. Some people want low for less. Not everyone tracks their cars.

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros and Cons...

Pros: You don't spend much

Cons: You get what you pay for

;)

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros and Cons...

Pros: You don't spend much

Cons: You get what you pay for

;)

I proved this by installing a set of ISC N1's on my LGT. As if that's not bad enough, I bought them used. I've had them On For about 3 months of actual use... Rebuild needed... FML

Actually, we do not sell the bad coilovers, we always talk our customers down from items we would make more profits on because they are not what the customer will be happy with. This is why our customers are very loyal because they know that we consult them on what they need and what is garbage. We actually "Fire" customers because we rather have customers that respect our experience.

Kind of like going to the ER and telling the doctor what to do. You are paying good money for the advice and for their expertise. Same goes for a shop for your car.

We've increased our sales since we don't chase down the cheapskates and knowitalls. It also makes us sleep well at night knowing we are suggesting parts we would use on our own cars.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Both Mikes have been in this thread for a while. Both have the same basic philosophy on sales/customer service/parts/etc. Our business models are slightly different and I admit I wish I had enough customers to actually "fire" a few. Every now and then I get frustrated enough to refuse the sale/work. But many times I have to bow my head and do what the customer wants. I just make sure they know before hand that I do not approve or recommend (and have signed estimates/invoices to show that it was in writing prior to beginning the work).

Not to say that we don't install them, we just don't sell them. The parts business is so slim it almost doesn't pay to even be in that space for us. We also have a very well definined pricing policy when it comes to "cheap" aka Poor QC products that our customers ask us to install. They are billed at an hourly shop rate rather than a flat rate for as long as it takes to get those parts to fit properly. Often times any money they've saved by buying poor QC parts they end up paying extra in labor for.

Glad to hear you are still kicking Mikey. I'll call soon to catch up.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

I am glad that the Mikes still humor me by sharing valuable info on this ridiculous thread, for those of us still interested in reading it, lol!

I'm in the process of swapping out my ISC's with a set of KYB's and COBB springs. I'm going to send the C/O's in for a rebuild. At only $40 a side, why wouldn't i?

I can't wait to get our Damper Dyno. WaspGT will have a field day with that!

-Mike Paisan

I fear your new Medieval torture device would make short work of these things. Although I heard the newer ISC's are a pretty decent quality compared to the models that I have. With a solid, 5 year warranty they'd have to be, right? The ones that I have contain extremely shitty race bearings.

East coast Mike (this is what I will call you since we have two well respected Mikes, hope you don't mind ;)), I cannot wait for you to get your shock dyno and play around with it! Some real data for the suspension engineers and race guru's alike to finally put a nail in the budget coilover proponents coffin once and for all. You can only give advice so many times before you just feel like giving up because people exhibit willful blindness and refuse to listen.

I'm expecting spring rate variance somewhere in the 5-10% on initial cycles, up to 25-30% on redundant fatigue cycles, and standard deviation of damping rates of at least 15-20% all around (corner to corner). Should be pretty interesting. I'm also assuming Megan (do they still exist?) ISC/BC/Fortune/Raceland/Whateverelseyouwannacallit will all be within 10% of each other in their poor performance data.

I don't like "stance'd" cars, there, I said it. However, I DO respect everyones right to modify their ride just how they want for whatever purpose, hence why I'm perfectly fine with budget coils on show/hellaflush/stance cars. To each their own, that's what I love about this hobby. I'm just sick of people arguing the performance per dollar benefits of budget coils when IMO they aren't even 100% safe for daily driving, let alone ANY sort of track/HPDE/performance driving. This isn't even something debated by those in the know, and I'm excited for reliable data to support this reality.

We had a guy come to the shop I use a while back with some sample coilovers he brought in from China. Equivalent price of US$275 FOB. Needless to say we didn't consider it worthwhile installing them on a car when the labor cost would be more than the parts.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My opinion on the KW's is that they are really stiff and almost uncomfortable, but at least you know they can handle the weight of the car on and off the track. I never worried about them leaking or the threads stripping and rusting. Free rebuilds for life and under $2k isn't a bad deal.

• Moderators
My opinion on the KW's is that they are really stiff and almost uncomfortable, but at least you know they can handle the weight of the car on and off the track. I never worried about them leaking or the threads stripping and rusting. Free rebuilds for life and under $2k isn't a bad deal.

Are you actually running the KWs? If you adjust them correctly for daily driving I don't find them to be overly stiff.

That said, mine broke (seems to be rare though). I'll most likely be keeping them on the car anyway.

And free rebuilds for life? Yeah, no. That's just false.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
free rebuilds for life for the original owner.

Don't believe that this is the case. Would love to hear differently, but it seems that there is misinformation on this point. I'm sure one of the Mike's could comment here--or just call KW.

• Moderators
so is there such a thing as comfy coilovers for daily driving? :)

RCE Tarmac 1s with lightweight wheels (i.e. BBS 17") are quite comfy, IMO. Heavier wheel and you need to crank 'em up a bit more and they get a bit stiffer.

Most likely a matter of opinion really, although I'm fairly picky with most stuff.

Coilovers are still going to be coilovers though I guess.

This is based on what exactly? Something Max said once...

You have used ISC's and have only complained about them

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

I've owned two sets of KW's, one set on an Audi, the other in a VW. You buy cheap, shitty, used shocks (that leak) and springs. You wouldn't even know what a Coilover felt like had I not allowed you to drive my car. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you said the ISC suspension felt great. You were saying?

Yes, the one time I drove your car I enjoyed the suspension compared to my

GR2- H&R combo on my sedan.

The used shocks on my wagon are Bilstiens with Tein H-techs.

I had Tokico and Eibach Ground control setup on my 92 Accord back in the day.

Does that mean I get to say those are great on here?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Archived