LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

KW V2 coil overs have a lifetime warranty (which includes free rebuilds) for the original owner. I have had countless sets "refreshed" for free for the original owners. I usually speak with Phil Castro at KW USA when I am requesting my RMA's for rebuilds/warranty work.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
East coast Mike (this is what I will call you since we have two well respected Mikes, hope you don't mind ;)), I cannot wait for you to get your shock dyno and play around with it! Some real data for the suspension engineers and race guru's alike to finally put a nail in the budget coilover proponents coffin once and for all. You can only give advice so many times before you just feel like giving up because people exhibit willful blindness and refuse to listen.

I'm expecting spring rate variance somewhere in the 5-10% on initial cycles, up to 25-30% on redundant fatigue cycles, and standard deviation of damping rates of at least 15-20% all around (corner to corner). Should be pretty interesting. I'm also assuming Megan (do they still exist?) ISC/BC/Fortune/Raceland/Whateverelseyouwannacallit will all be within 10% of each other in their poor performance data.

I don't like "stance'd" cars, there, I said it. However, I DO respect everyones right to modify their ride just how they want for whatever purpose, hence why I'm perfectly fine with budget coils on show/hellaflush/stance cars. To each their own, that's what I love about this hobby. I'm just sick of people arguing the performance per dollar benefits of budget coils when IMO they aren't even 100% safe for daily driving, let alone ANY sort of track/HPDE/performance driving. This isn't even something debated by those in the know, and I'm excited for reliable data to support this reality.

I agree with you on most everything above. I dislike stances cars and we specialize in cars that are built for performance so we don't sell the knockoff stuff. We will install whatever people bring as long as they are serviceable.

I think when we get the knockoffs onto the dyno we will see huge variances from shock to shock, because of the complete lack of QC at those factories.

It will be nice to be able to point folks to the dyno charts for all the knockoffs we test. :)

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Do you think the newest generation ISC North America coil set up is junk? Why would they put a solid 5 year warranty on a shit product if it will only cause the company money and headaches in the long run?

• Moderators
Do you think the newest generation ISC North America coil set up is junk? Why would they put a solid 5 year warranty on a shit product if it will only cause the company money and headaches in the long run?

Warranties don't mean jack shit when you have to put your car down for weeks to exercise one. Just like a set of jack stands that I just bought...lifetime warranty blah blah blah--what the hell does it matter after you're crushed by a car?

Just sayin.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Jesus, man. That example was a little too excessive to express the validity of your point, if you even had one... Crazy man! 😆

I have two suspensions, everyone should. When my ISC's go in for a rebuild, my KYB's and Cobb springs go in. So where's the down time? Plus, what does that even matter? You tried to bash what I said with a cloud of nonsense without even answering my question, buddy! Why the huge new warranty, if the product is still faulty?

Just sayin.

Why does Chrysler have a lifetime powertrain warranty when their transmissions suck? :iam:

Maybe because they actually care about their clientele? (Lol! That's just salesman's humor). On a serious note. The company placing the warranty must either firmly believe in their product, or else understands the concept of a genuine "running river" business model (in other words a proper flowing business cycle). Or we could just chalk it up to some possible/variable circumstances...

1) ISC is just counting on a younger buyer, in hope that they'll mistake an ongoing failing suspension component as "just a stiff ride"; and so no returns or fewer rebuilds are collected upon.

2) ISC components are decent enough to last 20-30k miles without any significant problems (given they have made their problematic journal/race bearings easier to grease, or else maintenance free). Thus rendering rebuilds or warranty claims/returns obsolete for the first couple years of ownership (usually by that time these vehicle are traded or sold).

3) Maybe these new ISC coils are actually a great product... Who knew?

• Moderators
Jesus, man. That example was a little too excessive to express the validity of your point, if you even had one... Crazy man! 😆

I have two suspensions, everyone should. When my ISC's go in for a rebuild, my KYB's and Cobb springs go in. So where's the down time? Plus, what does that even matter? You tried to bash what I said with a cloud of nonsense without even answering my question, buddy! Why the huge new warranty, if the product is still faulty?

Just sayin.

I wasn't really bashing anything you said at all. I just don't think that just because something has a warranty that it must be good. Companies can place warranties on anything just to assuage fears that might be held by the consumers. Regardless of whether it's a good product or not, at least a warranty will technically cover the cost of things should something go wrong.

All that said, I think that warranties are sometimes so much trouble to actually deal with that I question how many times they are just cast aside because people don't have time to go through the process, whatever that may be.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• I Donated
Maybe because they actually care about their clientele? (Lol! That's just salesman's humor). On a serious note. The company placing the warranty must either firmly believe in their product, or else understands the concept of a genuine "running river" business model (in other words a proper flowing business cycle). Or we could just chalk it up to some possible/variable circumstances...

...or it could be a gamble based on psychology. "They have a 5-year warranty, so they must be good quality!" Even if it's not. My guess is the combination of short car/part ownership periods, customers who prioritize low over performance/ride/reliability, a difficult warranty process as BMB says, and the fact that these coilovers probably cost peanuts to produce so profits are high, means that the 5-year warranty as a selling point will bring in more profits than it loses in warranty claims.

I'd be interested to know if the 5-year warranty is transferrable. My guess is it's not. Neither is Chrysler's "lifetime" powertrain warranty. Chrysler sells a lot of its new cars to fleets that only keep them for 2-3 years, and their "end-user" customers often only keep the cars for 3-4 years as well, so it's not like they're spending that much more than if, say, they only had a 5yr/60,000mi powertrain warranty like Subaru does.

When Hyundai started selling cars here, they put a 10 year warranty on it.

A warranty doesn't necessarily mean quality, it could mean that the company can afford to replace the parts because the profit margin is so high on the low quality parts.

Also no one says that the BC/ISC/Fortune/Etc "break" the dampening qualities of them are just not good, especially after the first few cycles of the dampers.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

My guess is that they do not cover rusted bodies, bushings, rods, etc. They only are warrantying the seals and internal valves....

-Mike Paisan

My Megans were junk. I had both front corners set the same and when I hit a bridge expansion joint on the freeway the two sides of the car would rebound different amounts. Awful ride.

My Bilstein HDs and Pinks aren't a hell of a lot better in town, but at least the car is stable, the suspension is quiet and the damping matches properly.

...or it could be a gamble based on psychology. "They have a 5-year warranty, so they must be good quality!" Even if it's not. My guess is the combination of short car/part ownership periods, customers who prioritize low over performance/ride/reliability, a difficult warranty process as BMB says, and the fact that these coilovers probably cost peanuts to produce so profits are high, means that the 5-year warranty as a selling point will bring in more profits than it loses in warranty claims.

I'd be interested to know if the 5-year warranty is transferrable. My guess is it's not. Neither is Chrysler's "lifetime" powertrain warranty. Chrysler sells a lot of its new cars to fleets that only keep them for 2-3 years, and their "end-user" customers often only keep the cars for 3-4 years as well, so it's not like they're spending that much more than if, say, they only had a 5yr/60,000mi powertrain warranty like Subaru does.

I think I just said some of what you have posted here in other words. I'm in no way impressed with these ISC's, so it's doubtful that I'm actually attempting to stick up for them at this time. I guess that my only legitimate point is that faulty or not, a 5 year warranty puts them ahead of the pack as far as cheaper coils go. Rebuilds at $40 a corner isn't bad, either. I'm guessing that they'll just take mine in for parts and ship me a new pair.

My guess is that they do not cover rusted bodies, bushings, rods, etc. They only are warrantying the seals and internal valves....

-Mike Paisan

You're probably right, Mike, but nonetheless it's better than no warranty if your shopping specifically for drop... Although I'm not sure why someone would choose ISC for low. My coils are cranked down as far as they'll go in the rear and there's still a significant wheel gap!

Nope, you're dead on! The only reason I got them is because I only paid 4 bucks from a friend, and I had planned on auto-crossing.... But if you've followed my build thread even a little, you'll know that, that never happened

-__-

So what you're saying is, there is absolutely no reason to buy them? They suck for low, they suck for performance, and they're more expensive than Konis with lowering springs. Or maybe I missed something?

So what you're saying, TFH, is that all I have to do to shut you up is to agree with you? Lulz

• I Donated
So what you're saying, TFH, is that all I have to do to shut you up is to agree with you? Lulz

Uh, if all you say is "I agree," what am I going to reply to? :confused: At that point, replying more just becomes a postwhore circle jerk. But I guess you're used to that from the WC. :ohhh:

What is this WC that you speak of? I honestly have no idea what you're rambling on about... But if there ever was such a place, you sound a little butthurt about getting booted dafuq out. ;) On a side note, now you're just starting to sound like a dink... But I guess you're pretty used to the sound of those things slapping around when you're obviously the original pivot man in this game of "circle jerk" you're describing. Come back and see us all real soon, we miss you every Friday. ❤️

Archived