LegacyGT.com

The Cheap Coilover Thread, Pros & Cons...

WaspGT

I put a few sets in my dumpster last week. Lol.

Even though Max Sterling refuses to post on LGT.com any longer he still haunts from time to time. He loved this thread like God so loved the World. Amen.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's an entire sub forum dedicated to suspension, and the coil over debate has been rehashed to death, (even before you joined). Useless thread is... useless. If you feel this topic is a service to the community - at least put it in the proper forum.
I have no control over drippie.

Max car has not been driven on the streets (to my knowledge) for 2 years. It is a track car currently.

But our in-house BRZ test mule does run AST and it is daily driven. They are affordable for a quality coil and they can be set up to ride extremely well on the street.

KWV2 are about the same price and also work very well on the street (and light track duty).

Everyone has a different value point. For some there is value in a low cost set of coils. For me there is not.

Food for thought... A single race shock for my race quads runs upwards of $3k. When I inquired with Ohlins what it would cost for a set of coils for my SpecB that would rival my race quad set up, they came back with a total cost of $33k for the 4 coils.

Lets consider the $33k number to be "NASCAR" quality. If that is the case then what does a $1k set of coils get you? Approx 1/33 of the performance. If an LGT sold for $33k new what is 1/33 of the cars value? $1k. Would you buy a LGT for $1k? I have. It was wrapped around an oak tree.

So, in my mind a $1k set of coils is good enough to wrap around an oak tree.

Well, to my knowledge Max doesn't drive that LGT on the track anymore at all. He drives a pos 95hp Miata race car... And boy is he in love with that thing!

As a vendor I'm sure you must be aware, but I'll go ahead and state this anyway... ISC North America now carries a 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Which means that for 5 solid years if anything happens to your suspension they rebuild or replace them for free. Now am I saying that they are NASCAR QUALITY (your words), absolutely not. Do I think that they are as rugged as a set of $2000 KW's? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. All I know is that for $900 bucks, that's a pretty SOLID deal. Don't you agree... Captain Infamous?

That doesn't stop "millions" of people from buying KIA's though does it? If the product meets your needs, and is covered in full if and when it breaks... Who gives a rats ass about stature?

-Sean

I think we are talking about different things here.

ISC and the rest of the cheap coils are great for getting hella flush. But do not mistake them for a quality damper. Konis and springs make a better setup for performance. This is a fact coming from Motorsports professionals.

So yes if you want a certain ride height and don't care about performance then isc etc are wonderful.

Mike

I think we are talking about different things here.

ISC and the rest of the cheap coils are great for getting hella flush. But do not mistake them for a quality damper. Konis and springs make a better setup for performance. This is a fact coming from Motorsports professionals.

So yes if you want a certain ride height and don't care about performance then isc etc are wonderful.

Mike

I don't know about Hellaflush when it comes to ISC. BC, maybe, ISC not so much. My rears are maxed and there is still plenty of wheel gap. Also, I'm not saying that ISC is the best here, I'm not all that pleased with my set up, but then again I bought them used for $400. They are the old model, the new improved model of N1 comforts are supposed to be much better. I sill think you can track with them no problem and get decent performance. I don't know, i haven't tried yet. Has anyone here tracked with ISC? Where is BoxKitty?

Well, to my knowledge Max doesn't drive that LGT on the track anymore at all. He drives a pos 95hp Miata race car... And boy is he in love with that thing!

As a vendor I'm sure you must be aware, but I'll go ahead and state this anyway... ISC North America now carries a 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Which means that for 5 solid years if anything happens to your suspension they rebuild or replace them for free. Now am I saying that they are NASCAR QUALITY (your words), absolutely not. Do I think that they are as rugged as a set of $2000 KW's? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. All I know is that for $900 bucks, that's a pretty SOLID deal. Don't you agree... Captain Infamous?

The LGT motor is now weak and needs a rebuild. It has been "shelved". Max blew the motor in the Miata too. So it is now down while a new motor is installed (he is doing that himself).

As for ISC's warranty, LOL. :lol::lol::lol: ISC can not be rebuilt. They will just replace. While they take 2-4 weeks to replace your blown strut your car is down or you get to put your stock suspension back on.

You save money up front, but due to replacements and down time you dont save in the end. After about 2 years it is a wash and if you had bought decent coils up front you could have enjoyed the better ride for those 2 years.

KWV2 has a lifetime warranty and rebuilds (for repair or just refreshing) are free to the original owner for as long as they own the coils.

If you can put up with the crap ride and all you want is to slam the car and all you have is $1k then thats your prerogative and it is your car. Go for it. I sell a few inexpensive coils just for those looking to go this route. Do I recommend it? No, but once again, its not my car. If you ask me my opinion I wont sugar coat it.

The LGT motor is now weak and needs a rebuild. It has been "shelved". Max blew the motor in the Miata too. So it is now down while a new motor is installed (he is doing that himself).

As for ISC's warranty, LOL. :lol::lol::lol: ISC can not be rebuilt. They will just replace. While they take 2-4 weeks to replace your blown strut your car is down or you get to put your stock suspension back on.

You save money up front, but due to replacements and down time you dont save in the end. After about 2 years it is a wash and if you had bought decent coils up front you could have enjoyed the better ride for those 2 years.

KWV2 has a lifetime warranty and rebuilds (for repair or just refreshing) are free to the original owner for as long as they own the coils.

If you can put up with the crap ride and all you want is to slam the car and all you have is $1k then thats your prerogative and it is your car. Go for it. I sell a few inexpensive coils just for those looking to go this route. Do I recommend it? No, but once again, its not my car. If you ask me my opinion I wont sugar coat it.

So what you're saying is... that you don't like sugar? How about a nice light Splenda coating?

We don't sell poor dampers. We will install whatever you want as long as they are functional. Our base coils are KW and move up to AST and Ohlins and Penskies from there.

By the end of the year we are targeting to have our Shock Dyno, and we'll show folks just how poor the cheap coils are, especially after a few cycles. Initial cycling of them is fine but once the fluid gets heated up the valving begins to fail on you....

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• I Donated

This x1000. Same reason I wouldn't buy a Chrysler, even with its lifetime powertrain warranty. What am I going to drive while it's in the shop having its transmission replaced for the third time?

Thread Jack:

Hey Mike (AZP) Gary at Mann Engineering just signed the new USA distribution contract with AST. So Mann is the contact now for AST. I think Gary and crew will do a better job of supporting the consumers than the previous distributor. If I am not mistaken Gary has a shock dyno. As well as a $500k Maha dyno (it makes my Mustang look seriously cheap). I would love to see more comparisons on shock dynos. I know Gary would too. Very interested in your "scientific" findings once you splurge on the tool.

Thread Jack:

Hey Mike (AZP) Gary at Mann Engineering just signed the new USA distribution contract with AST. So Mann is the contact now for AST. I think Gary and crew will do a better job of supporting the consumers than the previous distributor. If I am not mistaken Gary has a shock dyno. As well as a $500k Maha dyno (it makes my Mustang look seriously cheap). I would love to see more comparisons on shock dynos. I know Gary would too. Very interested in your "scientific" findings once you splurge on the tool.

Interesting, that's news to me, because we've been dealing directly with AST since the last folks who were importing them.

I can't wait to get it, just need to get some capital to purchase the damper dyno, can't wait to start showing some scientific data on the forums to folks who swear by the BC/ISC/Raceland/Etc dampers...

:)

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

One of our customers was thinking of buying his LGT actually a few months ago.

-Mike Paisan

Thread jacking by a couple of vendors? God love you!

On a serious note, I would love to see that Shock Dyno of yours in action. It really will be interesting to see some of the more popular brands of C/O's widely used on this forum (especially the ones that come so highly recommended by certain members, ie; BC, Tein, ISC, KW, etc.) put to the test.

I'd love to purchase a set of Ohlins, if I had that type of budget at the moment. The Ohlins replacement set up for my old 97 R1 was $1200... And that's just for a single coil set up. Wow.

Archived