LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2014 Legacy Thread

LegGTLT

When should the OFFICIAL 2015 Legacy Thread Start?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When should the OFFICIAL 2015 Legacy Thread Start?

• Today, whatever day it is.
    • September 1st, 2013
    • December 1st, 2013
    • March 1st, 2014
    • NEVAR! To avoid the disappointment...

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shocking, considering there are online resources saying they are available to order on May 1st.

I guess Subaru's pretty excited about sharing all the awesome changes. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll just keep putting miles on the '08 Spec.B.

^ And it pisses me off to no end that they use the Legacy Wagon to promote their product line, and we can't even get one here.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ And it pisses me off to no end that they use the Legacy Wagon to promote their product line, and we can't even get one here.

Look at their prices though :eek:

The cheapest version is 26900 quids = over 42k CAD :spin: f... that...

I'm pretty sure it's America that's hates wagons. So many have left the market. The ones that remain are languishing.

Not completely true. Look at VW. Can't keep their TDI wagons on the lot.

Subaru brings a Legacy wagon Diesel and it will sell

Agreed, but what is the price difference between a Legacy DIT and VWs versions? That may be a "buy" factor.

Also, presume there's some Subaru management decision not to leach sales from the Outback line.

It seems that most of the people that want wagons are the ones that already have wagons and they hold onto them forever.

If I were a manufacturer, I would build a wagon version 1 year after the new chassis production has begun, but only produce the wagon for 2 years, like the Cadillac CTS wagon or Dodge Magnum (3 years). Then you don't have dealers complaining they can't move the cars. With low production numbers, wagon enthusiasts will come from far and wide for one.

It seems that most of the people that want wagons are the ones that already have wagons and they hold onto them forever.

If I were a manufacturer, I would build a wagon version 1 year after the new chassis production has begun, but only produce the wagon for 2 years, like the Cadillac CTS wagon or Dodge Magnum (3 years). Then you don't have dealers complaining they can't move the cars. With low production numbers, wagon enthusiasts will come from far and wide for one.

I suggested a similar argument for Legacy GT, Spec.B, & LSTI models - make each one for a single year, rotate through, and they'll meet pent up demand without saturating the market for each.

Not completely true. Look at VW. Can't keep their TDI wagons on the lot.

Subaru brings a Legacy wagon Diesel and it will sell

Subaru brings a diesel, and it will sell. Wagons are dead for the time being. It will take the hatch friendly youth to grow up and want wagons over their parents' boring sedans. Then the kids of the wagoneers will want sedans. The cycle begins anew.

All the major wagon players including VW have dropped most if not all of their wagons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And yet Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, VW, and other mainstreamers are keeping a conventional wagon in their mix.

All that you listed are luxury brands with the exception of the VW Jetta wagon which is still the 5th generation Jetta despite the 6th generation being 3 model years in. Those luxury versions aren't even entry level vehicles. All of those manufacturers offer a plethora of USDM CUVS surrounding their sole wagon offering.

Lexus? CT200 is a hatch. Where did the 5 series BMW Wagon go? C Class Wagon? Passat Wagon? A4 Wagon? (although its rebirth as an Allroad sort of counts), A6 Wagon?, Malibu Maxx? Magnum? Jag X type? Mazda 6? V50? V70?

When was the last time Toyota or Honda offered a bona fide wagon?

Focus wagon became a hatch, Impreza wagon became a hatch, Elantra wagon became a hatch, Mazda Mp3 wagon became a hatch

Even the Caliber and A3 hatches are sedans for the current generation.

I don't know what you're basing your opinion on, but it's not rooted in fact.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...Wagons are dead for the time being. It will take the hatch friendly youth to grow up and want wagons over their parents' boring sedans. Then the kids of the wagoneers will want sedans. The cycle begins anew.

You forgot to prerequisite this with a "In the USA..." preface...

Wagons are no where near dead in a vast majority of the rest of the world... They are very popular with the post-baby boomers like myself...

In Japan for example - production numbers for Legacy Touring Wagon vs Outback vs Legacy B4 sedans are 63.45% - 15.47% - 21.08% respectively ( published production numbers to end of Dec. 2012 )...

That means that of Legacy models produced in Japan ~ 78.92% produced are wagons...

New cars here are not siting around on car lots waiting for buyers - they are for the most part sold purely on the basis of manufactured units ( we just don't have the space to have 1,000's of cars sitting around )...

In my case when I went to the dealer to buy a DIT wagon I had to wait for 3 months for them to make it because all the others were already spoken for...

In the USA wagons may be dead for the time being - but if they were to import / manufacture 300 hp DIT wagons like here in Japan methinks they might sell quite a few....

Cheers,

It is now called the 5 series "Gran Turismo"... I guess it's getting sort of hatch-back like, though...

Volvo has the XC60/70/90

The 5 Series GT is not a wagon. It's a weird hatchback, crossover. I'm pretty sure we were talking about traditional wagons. All of those Volvos are all crossovers.

You forgot to prerequisite this with a "In the USA..." preface...

Wagons are no where near dead in a vast majority of the rest of the world... They are very popular with the post-baby boomers like myself...

In Japan for example - production numbers for Legacy Touring Wagon vs Outback vs Legacy B4 sedans are 63.45% - 15.47% - 21.08% respectively ( published production numbers to end of Dec. 2012 )...

That means that of Legacy models produced in Japan ~ 78.92% produced are wagons...

New cars here are not siting around on car lots waiting for buyers - they are for the most part sold purely on the basis of manufactured units ( we just don't have the space to have 1,000's of cars sitting around )...

In my case when I went to the dealer to buy a DIT wagon I had to wait for 3 months for them to make it because all the others were already spoken for...

In the USA wagons may be dead for the time being - but if they were to import / manufacture 300 hp DIT wagons like here in Japan methinks they might sell quite a few....

Cheers,

ughh... yes I did... It's the entire purpose of this conversation.

I'm pretty sure it's America that's hates wagons. So many have left the market. The ones that remain are languishing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Per Edmunds.com there are 29 different wagons available in the USDM. Only two of those are considered (IMHO), Premium >$55K, and only three are considered upscale $45K-$55K.

Included in the mix:

Acura TSX Wagon

Audi A3 Diesel

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Audi A3 Wagon

Audi A4 Wagon

Audi Allroad Wagon

BMW 3 Series Wagon

Cadillac CTS-V Wagon

Cadillac CTS Wagon

Dodge Caliber Wagon

Ford C-Max Energi Wagon

Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon

Ford Flex Wagon

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Kia Soul Wagon

Lincoln MKT Wagon

Mercedes Benz E-Class Wagon

Mercedes Benz R-Class Wagon

Mercedes Benz R-Class Diesel Wagon

Mini Cooper Clubvan Wagon

Mini Cooper Countryman JCW ALL4

Mini Cooper Countryman Wagon

Nissan Cube Wagon

Saab 9-3 Griffin Wagon

Scion X-B Wagon

Subaru Outback Wagon

Toyota Prius V Wagon

Toyota Venza Wagon (B4 - we've argued about this one before)

Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen Diesel Wagon

Volkswagen Sportwagen Wagon

Volvo XC70 Wagon

So there's several variants out there in the USDM. And Subaru has one of the best "wagon" platforms in that mix. It's just setup to be an SUV.

Come on! this list is reaching. Take out trim levels, call a hatch a hatch, call a crossover a crossover. USDM traditional wagons are a dying breed. Most are gone, and the recently created offerings don't sell (CTS and TSX). Manufacturers are all about creating crossovers and hatches for the US Market instead of traditional wagons as Americans don't want them.

Per Edmunds.com there are 29 different wagons available in the USDM. Only two of those are considered (IMHO), Premium >$55K, and only three are considered upscale $45K-$55K.

Included in the mix:

Acura TSX Wagon Languishing

Audi A3 Hatch being replaced with a sedan

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Crossover

Audi A4 Wagon Gone

Audi Allroad Wagon Crossover

BMW 3 Series Wagon Rare

Cadillac CTS Wagon Languishing

Dodge Caliber Wagon Hatch being replaced with a sedan

Ford C-Max hatch

Ford Flex Wagon Minivan without sliding doors

Kia Soul Wagon hatch

Lincoln MKT Wagon Crossover

Mercedes Benz E-Class Wagon Rare

Mercedes Benz R-Class Wagon Languishing and based of a 3 generation ago Mercedes

Mini Cooper Countryman Crossover

Nissan Cube Wagon Hatch

Scion X-B Wagon hatch

Subaru Outback Wagon Crossover

Toyota Prius V Wagon Hatch

Toyota Venza Wagon Crossover

Volkswagen Sportwagen Wagon

Volvo XC70 Wagon Crossover

So there's several variants out there in the USDM. And Subaru has one of the best "wagon" platforms in that mix. It's just setup to be an SUV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come on! this list is reaching. Take out trim levels, call a hatch a hatch, call a crossover a crossover. USDM traditional wagons are a dying breed. Most are gone, and the recently created offerings don't sell (CTS and TSX). Manufacturers are all about creating crossovers and hatches for the US Market instead of traditional wagons as Americans don't want them.

Crazy talk.. I am American and I want a wagon ;)

Also, at the open house for the dealership here in Salt Lake, I asked the parts manager his opinion on whether the diesel would make it here or not. He said that it had been put on the back burner due to the hybrid technology crap now. I would much rather have a diesel. He said it was due to the emissions politics between everywhere else and here in the states.

I also asked him what he thought about the legacy turbo coming back. He doesn't think it will but I like to hope that he is wrong, especially with the 2.0 GT getting much better MPG.

2.0 GT Legacy Wagon PLEASE!

Archived