LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2014 Legacy Thread

LegGTLT

When should the OFFICIAL 2015 Legacy Thread Start?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When should the OFFICIAL 2015 Legacy Thread Start?

• Today, whatever day it is.
    • September 1st, 2013
    • December 1st, 2013
    • March 1st, 2014
    • NEVAR! To avoid the disappointment...

I am not that hopeful that the next gen legacy will have a Turbo engine.
I don't know... the H6 is an old engine now, and the 5AT is an old transmission... they are quite clearly moving to smaller displacement engines and CVT transmissions - look at the engine in the '14 Forester - it's the direct-injection, turbocharged 2L F series engine (FA20, I think) making 250hp at 5600rpm/258ft-lbs from 2000-4800rpm. A version of that engine is in the JDM Legacy putting out approx. 300hp/300ft-lbs... The '14 Forester also gets 23mpg city, 28mpg highway

The H6 puts out 256hp at 6krpm/247 ft-lbs at 4400rpm and gets 18mpg city, 25mpg highway

Comparing the FA20 turbo + CVT combination to the H6/5AT combination, the former looks like a much better choice...

If Subaru is trying to minimize the variation in their cars to keep parts costs down, I wouldn't be surprised to see the FA20 and FB25 engines be the only engines available once we get into 2014, dropping the H6 and the EJ25... so maybe something like:

Legacy: FB25 or FA20 turbo with the CVT or 6spd

Impreza/Crosstrek: FA20 with the CVT or 5spd (wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the 5 and go to the 6spd in the Legacy)

Forester: FB25 or FA20 turbo with the CVT

WRX/STi: FA20 turbo with the 5 or 6spd (again - maybe the 5spd goes away?)

the complicating factor is the Tribeca... maybe that stays with the H6 until they kill it?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Subaru is trying to minimize the variation in their cars to keep parts costs down, I wouldn't be surprised to see the FA20 and FB25 engines be the only engines available once we get into 2014, dropping the H6 and the EJ25... so maybe something like:

Impreza/Crosstrek: FA20 with the CVT or 5spd (wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the 5 and go to the 6spd in the Legacy)

the complicating factor is the Tribeca... maybe that stays with the H6 until they kill it?

The Tribeca is sales are abysmally low and I suspect it will be axed soon.

One model you forgot to mention is the Outback which is Subaru's best selling vehicle in the US and has been the leader for a long time now. The current generation outback is more SUV like and the sales of the Outback alone has a lot influence on the Legacy. I suspect the H6 is more desirable to the typical car buyer for towing in the Outback than a small displacement turbo 4. Subaru could always develop (or use the FA20 Turbo) a CVT for the 3.6 H6 motor.

That's no longer an EJ. It's the all new FB series engine.

Thanks for the info, just makes my reasoning stronger that they'll leave a 2.5 in the lineup too.

The Tribeca is sales are abysmally low and I suspect it will be axed soon.

One model you forgot to mention is the Outback which is Subaru's best selling vehicle in the US and has been the leader for a long time now. The current generation outback is more SUV like and the sales of the Outback alone has a lot influence on the Legacy. I suspect the H6 is more desirable to the typical car buyer for towing in the Outback than a small displacement turbo 4. Subaru could always develop (or use the FA20 Turbo) a CVT for the 3.6 H6 motor.

They have to make the CVT live with the extra torque.

The turbo 2.0l in the Japanese Legacy DIT makes 296 hp and 295 lbs/ft torque. It's mated to Subaru's new high horsepower CVT.

Even though that's been mentioned many times here, it seems many still aren't aware of it. If it can handle 296/295 in production trim, I bet it could probably handle substantially more. I wouldn't doubt they overbuilt it to make sure they didn't have any failures like the old ECVT.

I don't know... the H6 is an old engine now, and the 5AT is an old transmission... they are quite clearly moving to smaller displacement engines and CVT transmissions - look at the engine in the '14 Forester - it's the direct-injection, turbocharged 2L F series engine (FA20, I think) making 250hp at 5600rpm/258ft-lbs from 2000-4800rpm. A version of that engine is in the JDM Legacy putting out approx. 300hp/300ft-lbs... The '14 Forester also gets 23mpg city, 28mpg highway

The H6 puts out 256hp at 6krpm/247 ft-lbs at 4400rpm and gets 18mpg city, 25mpg highway

Comparing the FA20 turbo + CVT combination to the H6/5AT combination, the former looks like a much better choice...

Good analysis... Dare I say - may be FHI develops 6 cylinder version of FA20? Lots of engine parts could be shared and fuel economy would be great. This would allow them to drop or EOL current 3.6 H6 and gain better fuel economy.

I would like to see new Tribeca wtih 6 cylinder turbo based on FA20 and new CVT. That would be great replacement for our 2007 B9.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

"So will we see a 2.0T in 2014? Or 2015?"

That's the million dollar question. I too am in the market for a new ride. I don't like the current engine otions in the Impreza/Crosstek & Legacy/Outback so much that I'm seriously considering the '14 XT. This puts me in a waiting game for news about the '14 Legacy & '14 Crosstek before I make my decision. NEWS! I get that the midsize market is so compettative that they have to keep things under wrap, but it's really trying my patience. I really don't want to end up with a '14 XT and a month later hear about a Turbo Crosstek & Turbo Legacy, I would be so pissed!

I talked to the Subaru folks at the car show in Philly and they said no plans for another LGT in the future due to buying trends. They also knew much less about Subaru than the average member of this forum. I ended up taking over the rep's discussion with some customers after she couldn't answer questions about awd. In the end I realized they didn't know much about the cars, so hopefully they dont know much about future production.

I talked to the Subaru folks at the car show in Philly and they said no plans for another LGT in the future due to buying trends. They also knew much less about Subaru than the average member of this forum. I ended up taking over the rep's discussion with some customers after she couldn't answer questions about awd. In the end I realized they didn't know much about the cars, so hopefully they dont know much about future production.

I'm not so sure, but it's possible. While there may certainly be engineers present, most of the organization for shows is done by business types. Killing a trim option is certainly a business decision instead of an engineering decision.

If they make the Legacy with the 2.0T and CVT, I'll trade in my 2012 Sonata 2.0T right away. I'm still considering a '14 XT to lease for a few years. Common Subaru, give us a fast turbo Legacy with over 30MPG!

I'll take any non-STi Subaru Sedan with a turbo and a 6 speed.

It's crazy that they don't even offer it.

I'll take any non-STi Subaru Sedan with a turbo and a 6 speed.

It's crazy that they don't even offer it.

they are after camcord, none of which offers what you want. no business case.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

they are after camcord, none of which offers what you want. no business case.

Even ford comes close to offering what I want. Stupid Fusion Titanium 6 spd auto with paddle shift.

If I had the 55K I'd just get a 335xi or a S4.

I'm sorry if anyone owns one, but the 2013 STi Sedan looks like someone puked it out. The wing is hideous, and the hatch looks like a bubble on wheels.

A 2012 Taurus SHO with under 20k miles can be had for $30k. Great bargain. A tune away from a 12 second car. If Subaru doesn't come out with the turbo Legacy, I'm going to wait for the 2013 SHO to drop below $30k. More technology (push button, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, massage seats, etc etc etc) than Subbie will ever have. Looks like a new one can be had for $38k with discounts...hmmmm.

A Taurus isn't the same size class as a Legacy by a Long shot. That goes up against the Avalons, Maximas, Azeras, and Impalas of the world. If you're looking for a feature rich boat, there are better choices out there...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived