LegacyGT.com

Who has the most miles on their LGT, and how are they holding up? - Vol-2

I just got a WorkFromHome job and am worried what will happen to my car if it just sits most of the week. Is there anything I should change or should i just drive it a bit every once in a while?

We usually use my wife's civic for errands etc.

Don't leave it sit. Just like a thoroughbred, it needs to be exercised regularly. You should plan on taking it out for a spirited run at least once per week where oil and coolant temps are normalized and fluid seals remain supple.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My 09 Spec B sits for weeks in the winter time. When we do drive it once a month or so, I make sure its for at least 10 miles one way on the highway. So its a total drive of about 25 miles or so. I don't keep much gas in it either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max, how come you don't keep much gas in it? I've read (in Unabombers manifesto no less) that it's better to keep the tank full...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

I'm afraid it will go bad. The last time I drove it for a long distance was a month ago the middle of Feb, then before that was Jan 4th.

I rather let the gas get low, use it up then add some fresh gas. It's possible that I could fill the tank in mid Nov and not use that tank full until April.

I've been driving that car this way since 2012 when I put the EJ257 in the wagon.

The Spec B is the spare car. I drive it when the wagon needs fixing and we take it to dinner on Saturday nights in the summer time. Or long trips such as vacations and such.

But we now have a 2016 Outback 3.6R that will do the long trips.

Oh yea, BTW, the wagon turned 223,000 miles today. That's about 69,000 miles on the ej257.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm afraid it will go bad. The last time I drove it for a long distance was a month ago the middle of Feb, then before that was Jan 4th.

I rather let the gas get low, use it up then add some fresh gas. It's possible that I could fill the tank in mid Nov and not use that tank full until April.

I've been driving that car this way since 2012 when I put the EJ257 in the wagon.

The Spec B is the spare car. I drive it when the wagon needs fixing and we take it to dinner on Saturday nights in the summer time. Or long trips such as vacations and such.

Oh yea, BTW, the wagon turned 223,000 miles today. That's about 69,000 miles on the ej257.

Makes sense...but gas doesn't normally go bad for over 6 months and there's always gas stabilizer but of course it doesn't really matter either way.

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Sounds like your spec. needs to be driven more, max! I'm available, if needed. Mine could use some off days... Will even return her with a full quarter tank! :D

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Just turned over 436,000 on my 12V Cummins today. :D

Oh wait... wrong forum.

Only 173K on my 24V. And still wrong forum :lol:

Congrats on the drivetrain.

My experience, in high humidity environments, is that gas tanks that are empty-ish and sit unused, will experience two things; a higher incidence of internal tank rust, and higher than normal levels of gum and varnish that are released from the gas into the tank, both of which are then picked up and delivered to the engine via the fuel and injector (or carburator) system.

Given that Northern winters tend to be cold and dry, this is less of a problem during the winters, but here in the South, I find it to be pretty problematic year-round. Northern summers, especially on the east coast are equally problematic, but like everything else, YMMV. ;)

My 09 Spec B sits for weeks in the winter time. When we do drive it once a month or so, I make sure its for at least 10 miles one way on the highway. So its a total drive of about 25 miles or so. I don't keep much gas in it either.

Don't forget the importance of the Italian tune up once in a while.

:)

Only 173K on my 24V. And still wrong forum :lol:

Congrats on the drivetrain.

My experience, in high humidity environments, is that gas tanks that are empty-ish and sit unused, will experience two things; a higher incidence of internal tank rust, and higher than normal levels of gum and varnish that are released from the gas into the tank, both of which are then picked up and delivered to the engine via the fuel and injector (or carburator) system.

Given that Northern winters tend to be cold and dry, this is less of a problem during the winters, but here in the South, I find it to be pretty problematic year-round. Northern summers, especially on the east coast are equally problematic, but like everything else, YMMV. ;)

So SBT, I've got my car parked in east TN...it's been there for a month n I've got about two months to go. (It's killing me btw) Anyway the tank is pretty much empty (didn't plan it, just happened that way) so do you think that will make a problem? We don't have super high humidity but it is TN...

Not trying to thread jack, sorry

You're at the threshold timewise (at 3 months) for my comfort. Can anyone fill it up and drive it around for you? How old was the gas when you parked it?

If it were more full, I'd recommend draining it to less than a quarter and then just filling it with fresh gas. Since it's not started nor driven, I'd drain it all and fill it up with fresh gas before driving it. Again, just me, but we only have one "tank" filter ahead of the injectors and I wouldn't risk it.

Where in E. TN are you?

Yeah I hated to park it that long, but you do what you gotta do and having somebody drive it isn't really an option... I'll prolly drain whatever gas is left and maybe pull the fuel pump n check for internal tak rust, but it ought to be fine I think... Should I use any additives?

The car is in Greeneville...me, well I'm actually in Kenya.

Greeneville is a little over two hours nearly due North from me. Were you closer, I'd volunteer to go check it and drive it for you.

Kenya - fond memories for me. Not! :)

Yeah well I'm sure the car will be okay...Kenya? What's wrong with Kenya?:icon_mrgr I've spent the last couple years here and while there are plenty of not-fond memories it's been great. What took you across the ocean?

We pulled into Kenya, ostensibly to load-out humanitarian supplies to shuttle out to the Seychelles, about 1000 km due east of Mombasa. One of the their islands was devastated by a cyclone that went through the area, and had lost everything including basic food, water and shelter supplies for those living there.

We were in Mombasa for four days, and worked around the clock the entire time to get all of the State Department and aid agency supplies loaded-up. The last night we were there, we had full ship's liberty (officers and crew), but there were several other ships in port as well, so you can imagine how nearly impossible it was to get anywhere, and how crowded it was once you did. We didn't get to see much of the country, or experience much of the local culture, so it was not a great "visit" overall. The hard work paid off and it was wonderful to see the relief on the faces as we started helo-ing and small-boating supplies to the island. This was all compliments of the U.S. Navy.

I've seen tour videos and local videos, and would have loved to see more of the country, people and their culture. I have plans to go back and spend more time there, just haven't gotten there yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I rolled over 156k miles the other day and I'm quickly coming up on my 4 year purchase anniversary :) Total of about 50k miles in 4 years.

It's been in the back of my head to move on lately, but I can't find anything I'd want enough to take on payments..

I rolled over 156k miles the other day and I'm quickly coming up on my 4 year purchase anniversary :) Total of about 50k miles in 4 years.

It's been in the back of my head to move on lately, but I can't find anything I'd want enough to take on payments..

If you hold onto it for long enough, you get to take on the rebuild engine payment. Which is actually cheaper than a new car.

That's always in the back of my head. For a fraction of the cost of a new car I can turn my car more and more into exactly what I want.

Cars are always a poor investment, unless you really pick the right ones... if you rebuild, then you'll have a 5k car that you just spent 7k on. If you buy new(er), you get to experience the steep part of the depreciation curve. Smart people buy older cars that have turned the corner and are starting to appreciate in value, but that can be dangerous too.

Point being, if you like the car, keep it and enjoy it, because most other options are equally fiscally irresponsible :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

...My experience, in high humidity environments, is that gas tanks that are empty-ish and sit unused, will experience two things; a higher incidence of internal tank rust, and higher than normal levels of gum and varnish that are released from the gas into the tank...

Sta-Bil 360 Performance additive is claimed to prevent those issues.