LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT V8 Build (LS2/LQ4)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well depends on what you want.

adpater plate 350$

headders depending on model of buick 6 you want.

megasquirt or fast or aem or whom ever ecu you want.

and mt or at tranny

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

The wiring is the real problem.

The wiring is really not bad at all. It's not hard to convert a factory harness down to just a constant+switched wiring setup. My brother has done three LS swaps using factory harnesses and he's working on a fourth (I'm helping a bit to) and it's really not that hard. You do have to have HP tuners though. This swap looks very well done though, btw! Can't wait to see the end burnout, er, I mean, result. Also, couldn't you use the factory subaru AC condenser?

I am building this for fun for myself at this time but if there were demand we may build a few kits. We considered AWD for this project but it just wouldn't work to be packaged properly. We may revisit AWD Options in the future.

As far as the wiring, it is not that bad. The most complicated part is going to be the instruments. I built the Miata harness from a combination of junkyard plugs and new pieces we had from a Chevy Van, a Pontiac GTO, and an Isuzu ascender. The engine portion of the Harness is fully standalone and could be dropped into another car if you really wanted to. For the Subaru, I am going to look to user the harness plgu in the bay to get wires inside that are needed.

As far as the condenser and radiator, I am going to look into that once all the accesories are mounted up and may go to custom pieces if needed to make everything fit well.

I have also decided on a rear differential setup and will be running a R200 from an Infiniti Q45 with LSD and 3.69 Ratio

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

I am building this for fun for myself at this time but if there were demand we may build a few kits. We considered AWD for this project but it just wouldn't work to be packaged properly. We may revisit AWD Options in the future.

As far as the wiring, it is not that bad. The most complicated part is going to be the instruments. I built the Miata harness from a combination of junkyard plugs and new pieces we had from a Chevy Van, a Pontiac GTO, and an Isuzu ascender. The engine portion of the Harness is fully standalone and could be dropped into another car if you really wanted to. For the Subaru, I am going to look to user the harness plgu in the bay to get wires inside that are needed.

As far as the condenser and radiator, I am going to look into that once all the accesories are mounted up and may go to custom pieces if needed to make everything fit well.

I have also decided on a rear differential setup and will be running a R200 from an Infiniti Q45 with LSD and 3.69 Ratio

I spent a good deal of time mulling over retention of AWD with an LS swap a few years ago. In short, it can't really be done. Not without making design sacrifices I wasn't willing to make. If you really want to keep AWD, something like Frank's setup is a better starting point.

Fortunately, depending on how you define that word, the rear suspension of the LGT is much better suited to fitting big tires. You'll need to do some body work, but fitting a 275 UHPS should be easy.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

300ZX Wheel Bearings. This will change the lug pattern to 5x114.3 as well.

Definitely more info on this, please!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

yea always depends on how you can mix and match splines and such.

but i would think the 160 would last for at least a little while , well as long as you dont put slicks on it .

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

but i would think the 160 would last for at least a little while , well as long as you dont put slicks on it .

It doesn't. I ran RWD in my first gen for a while. I broke two 160's and the guy I sold the car to broke 5 or 6. An R180 can.

I'd be curious if it were possible to run 300Z or J30 outer cups on 5MT axles.

The LGT has a similar rear bearing module as many Nissan's and Infiniti's. I have found that the following vehicles have the same bearing module bolt pattern:

Z32 300ZX N/A (Bearing ID: 42.9mm Inner Mount Pilot: 83.6mm)

Z32 300ZX TT (Bearing ID: 46mm Inner Mount Pilot: 83.9mm)

90-96 Q45 (Bearing ID: 46mm Inner Mount Pilot: 83.9mm)

All of these will bolt up to the Legacy but all of them have axles that are far too long so I found the Infiniti J30 which has the same 42.9mm Hub OD as the 300ZX N/A and can be pressed into the 300ZX N/A Bearing. The reason I picked the J30 is because its rear track width is 58.9 and the LGT is 58.5 so that is basically only a difference of 0.2in in axle lengths on each side.

The Nissan's have 3 styles of stub axle flanges (5 Bolt, 6 Bolt, and 3x2 Bolt). The differential I chose to use was from the 97-01 Q45. I made this decision as all of the Q45's came with vLSD and they are plentiful around here. It is also in the ratio (3.69) that I was looking for to match my CTS-V 6-Speed Transmission. This diff comes with 5 bolt axles so my choices for axles included the Q45 which is much wider than the LGT, 300ZX N/A (Also too wide) and the 93-94 J30.

So to put some cliff's notes here, this is the combo we have now. We are only waiting for the bearing modules to come in to verify all of the fitment.

97-01 USED Q45 Rear vLSD Differential - $125

93-94 USED J30 Axles - 2 x $35 = $70

93-94 USED J30 Hubs - 2 x $30 = $60

90-93 NEW 300ZX N/A Bearing Modules - 2 x $55 = $110

Total so far, not including our metal and fabrication cost = $365

I also went ahead and order better polyurethane bushings for diff so that will add a little extra cost and the junk yard gave me the whole J30 spindles so I will sell those and my stock stuff to make back some of the money.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

It will have at least drag radials on it once it is ready to be taken out to the strip so I would like to have some reliability there

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

Archived