LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon---HOOD LOUVERS--Lots Of Pictures

SGT Daddy

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Make sense please

2) What is your definition of them working? Adding power? Preventing engine overheating? Because they will do none of these things on a legacy. You might as well have gone the plastic route and saved yourself some money.

1) I mean that if Louvers did nothing then they would not be used to help reduce underhood temps. Which there are plenty of documented cases where they do just that. My LGT did not have an overheating problem, I wanted to keep it that way and to help the heat that builds in the engine bay on long trips escape faster. I have seen some people use them to "add" performance. By facing them forward to have air go directly on there air intake. Not sure if it dose or not. I have not seen before and after Dyno numbers.

2) On the next car I put them on I will do like I saw a guy do with his new challenger. Take temp reading on 3 different places in his engine bay before and after. The change that he saw was 10 degrees. His set up is different then mine same idea reduce underhood temps.

Louvers are and have been used for year on cars, trucks etc. to reduce underhood temps. If you do a little research you would see this.

if you still have a tmic, wont you want the air going under your car instead over the top of reduce temps because thats how the engineers designed the tmic to work. the air flows under the car (following the under panel) and ends there, the under panel creates low pressure suction in the engine bay, and the air supplied from the hood scoop flows through the tmic more effectively.

air coming from the hood scoop meets the high pressure air from under the car. well thats if you have both under panel and tmic cover on to make a 'seal'. at high speed, air does not 'flow' into the hood scoop, its getting sucked in from the air under the car. if we dont have this suction, due to the small size of the hood scoop at high speeds, air would actually flow over the hood scoop

if the air is now escaping from the top of the car, wont the tmic be less effective in cooling the air charge because there is no more suction lower suction in the engine bay to pull air from the hood scoop effectively.

also if you want to argue rally cars have this louvers, the hood scoop is used as their air intake system and they switch to a fmic

well it give it to the OP for doing something most people wont do or too ashamed of posting on here. to each his own - not putting you down OP

/rant:spin:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I didn't read the entire thread but it seems that the OP is interested in lowering underhood temps. I'm not sure how well these louvers work, but if you're really interested in dropping temp further, I'd suggest moving the engine to the trunk. It is a big source of heat under the hood so putting it in the trunk should help alot I think!
lol

A Turbo heat shield would have been a good idea. I never looked at a turbo wrap or blanket. So in the future I might. I know that the looks are not for everyone. So far the comments I have gotten from people who have seen my set up in person have liked it.

Do these people drive Jeeps by any chance?

I think you'll get a lot less crap if you just admit you have no idea if there was a heat problem to begin with and/or didn't do any research to determine the best way to address the problem on a turbo 4-banger as opposed to a Jeep or a big ass muscle car.

So you like the way it looks and you're into offroading. Great. Looks like hell to people who don't want to make cars look like Jeeps, but hey, that's your deal. Just don't try to sell it as a legit, proven performance mod. That's like covering yourself in candied bacon. It's just too hard to resist.

I didn't read the entire thread but it seems that the OP is interested in lowering underhood temps. I'm not sure how well these louvers work, but if you're really interested in dropping temp further, I'd suggest moving the engine to the trunk. It is a big source of heat under the hood so putting it in the trunk should help alot I think!

I considered that but I ran into a hitch when I realized nobody sells trunk louvers and my dremel is fried.

I was not try to make it look like a Jeep, if I was I would have put outback suspension in it or a lift kit in. Regardless of performance numbers, I never said it adds any HP/TQ. I also said that I didn't not take underhood temps with a digital temp gauge before or after. Seeing the way that most of the posters are acting it would have been helpful. Since I did not then there is no real way of knowing the exact difference. The closet way to see how much is take a reading from mine and compare to a similar car. Yes, I know this wont be exact and would only be a rough est. Since all cars are slightly different. Depending on how they were taken care of. Bottom line you can like(which almost no one on here dose) or Hate it(which most of you do). They work and there are plenty of cases show this. Just because I don't have before and after numbers means I did not take temp readings. That dose not mean they don't work. Hate all you want, They work on lowering under hood temp. I may have to look at borrowing a hood from a local junk yard that is stock. Then take reading with my hood then swap hoods then take more readings to see what the difference is.

Just cover the holes from under the hood with some scrap sheet metal or the like, duct tape it on if you have to, it can be crude, just as long as it offers you to take a drive and get the engine nice and hot. Take some readings, rip the covers off, go for another drive, and there are your numbers.

• I Donated

Yes, let's ignore all the visual concerns. That leaves two questions:

1. Did it actually decrease underhood temps?

2. Does decreasing underhood temps do anything to improve power or reliability?

The answer to question 1 is unimportant if the answer to question 2 is "no." Which it is.

I was not try to make it look like a Jeep, if I was I would have put outback suspension in it or a lift kit in. Regardless of performance numbers, I never said it adds any HP/TQ. I also said that I didn't not take underhood temps with a digital temp gauge before or after. Seeing the way that most of the posters are acting it would have been helpful. Since I did not then there is no real way of knowing the exact difference. The closet way to see how much is take a reading from mine and compare to a similar car. Yes, I know this wont be exact and would only be a rough est. Since all cars are slightly different. Depending on how they were taken care of. Bottom line you can like(which almost no one on here dose) or Hate it(which most of you do). They work and there are plenty of cases show this. Just because I don't have before and after numbers means I did not take temp readings. That dose not mean they don't work. Hate all you want, They work on lowering under hood temp. I may have to look at borrowing a hood from a local junk yard that is stock. Then take reading with my hood then swap hoods then take more readings to see what the difference is.

Ow, my brain.

Yes, let's ignore all the visual concerns. That leaves two questions:

1. Did it actually decrease underhood temps?

2. Does decreasing underhood temps do anything to improve power or reliability?

The answer to question 1 is unimportant if the answer to question 2 is "no." Which it is.

Which is what? Are you asking him or telling him?

The more I read about this thread, the more I realize how much of a bunch of assholes we are (myself included). The guy starts a thread in the Aesthetic section (the correct section) for an idea he had for some louvers. So what if you think it's ugly or that it won't keep the engine bay cooler. I'm not sure his are big enough to be functional, but it's a try. He's being more constructive with his time then we are. I see a bunch of hate and dissent but not one person has actually tried to disprove his theory.

Archived