LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon---HOOD LOUVERS--Lots Of Pictures

SGT Daddy

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna kinda revive this harshly beaten dead horse...:D

Louvers or vents in the hood are something I have looked into (and am still looking into), but not necessarily for the purpose of dropping underhood temps like the OP. Since I recently installed Spearco's new TMIC, I am mainly interested in them as a possible means to increasing the efficiency of the TMIC. How so, you may ask?

Well, a TMIC relies on positive airflow across the core. This requires there to be more pressure on the front side of the core than the back side of the core causing airflow from the area of greater pressure to the area of lower pressure. In theory, the hood scoop should help to force air through the core by increasing the pressure in front of the core at speed. But, theoretically at least, if the air coming in from the front of the car (grill, bumper, etc.) is higher than the amount of air that can exit the engine bay then this could cause positive pressure in the engine bay at speed which in turn could reduce the efficiency of the TMIC. By making more ways for the incoming air from the radiator, etc to escape the engine bay, you *could* increase the efficiency of the TMIC. Of course I said COULD because that would be reliant on the pressure differential across the core and how it would be affected. To see if this even poses a problem in the LGT would require a good deal of testing of pressures in and around the engine bay. Placement of the vents would play an important role as well as you would want to place the vents in a low air pressure spot on the hood (so as to help air move outward).

I actually recently ordered a Magnehelic gauge that I plan to do a good amount of testing with. Magnehelic gauges allow you to measure small amounts of pressure as well as measure differentials of pressure (the one I ordered measures between 0-3in/hg). I plan to measure the pressure differential across the core of the TMIC as well as different points in the engine bay at speed. If it is determined that the pressure differential may be improved by vents, I would also measure pressure at different points on top of the hood at speed to see where the low pressure areas are. Typically, there is higher pressure towards the cowl close to the windshield (exactly the reason many car manufacturers put the HVAC intakes there) and lower pressures towards the middle of the hood. The vents would need to be located where the low pressure areas are for them to work properly. Finally, I would definitely not be just riveting in some pre-made vents. Would probably cut some less obtrusive vents...something like inverted louvers. Not something that stuck up from the hood.

Anyway, just some thoughts...:D

your an idiot if you somehow link 9/11 and iraq

first off, it's 'you're'.

second, you're under informed if you think that al qaeda and iraq never had anything to do with each other.

have a nice day meow.

As far as the louvers go, after seeing the other pictures, i give it a meh. indifferent. it doesn't look bad, but it's not something i'd do to my car. if it makes a measurable (if not noticeable) difference and does any bit of good, then money well spent I guess.

At least you didn't do it yourself and hack your car to pieces trying to make it fit.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Louvers or vents in the hood are something I have looked into (and am still looking into), but not necessarily for the purpose of dropping underhood temps like the OP. Since I recently installed Spearco's new TMIC, I am mainly interested in them as a possible means to increasing the efficiency of the TMIC. How so, you may ask?

Well, a TMIC relies on positive airflow across the core. This requires there to be more pressure on the front side of the core than the back side of the core causing airflow from the area of greater pressure to the area of lower pressure. In theory, the hood scoop should help to force air through the core by increasing the pressure in front of the core at speed. But, theoretically at least, if the air coming in from the front of the car (grill, bumper, etc.) is higher than the amount of air that can exit the engine bay then this could cause positive pressure in the engine bay at speed which in turn could reduce the efficiency of the TMIC. By making more ways for the incoming air from the radiator, etc to escape the engine bay, you *could* increase the efficiency of the TMIC. Of course I said COULD because that would be reliant on the pressure differential across the core and how it would be affected. To see if this even poses a problem in the LGT would require a good deal of testing of pressures in and around the engine bay. Placement of the vents would play an important role as well as you would want to place the vents in a low air pressure spot on the hood (so as to help air move outward).

I actually recently ordered a Magnehelic gauge that I plan to do a good amount of testing with. Magnehelic gauges allow you to measure small amounts of pressure as well as measure differentials of pressure (the one I ordered measures between 0-3in/hg). I plan to measure the pressure differential across the core of the TMIC as well as different points in the engine bay at speed. If it is determined that the pressure differential may be improved by vents, I would also measure pressure at different points on top of the hood at speed to see where the low pressure areas are. Typically, there is higher pressure towards the cowl close to the windshield (exactly the reason many car manufacturers put the HVAC intakes there) and lower pressures towards the middle of the hood. The vents would need to be located where the low pressure areas are for them to work properly. Finally, I would definitely not be just riveting in some pre-made vents. Would probably cut some less obtrusive vents...something like inverted louvers. Not something that stuck up from the hood.

wont it be better for the radiator air to flow under the car since thats what the tmic is designed for. all air flow in engine bay would be flowing in one direction (down/under car) vs two - up and down

so that means get an aluminum skid plate and make vents in that to draw out engine bay/radiator air

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I am looking forward to the numbers you come up with. I know you can install these and similar items with out the rivets for a clean look that makes it look factory. I lack the skills and tools for that level of install.

Won't work, may possibly make things worse. I think putting the hood louvres up top will allow air to escape out the top, especially during speed because of the negative pressure area on top of the hood.

This will evacuate air and heat from the engine, but as a result, you'll have less air flowing under the TMIC and out under the engine bay. Without that airflow, you have less negative pressure under the TMIC...negative pressure which could've helped pull air through the scoop.

^DING DING DING.

There may be a tremendous volume of reasons why OP is a guy to laugh at instead of near but there are few that demand respect or beating sense into him.

Respect: Thanks for your service. Most of us do not have a problem telling the difference between policy MAKERS and those that actually follow though with policy. I have a problem with policy makers, not with our soldiers.

Beating sense into him: Way to go, you most likely actually did he opposite of what you intended to do. You reduced the effectiveness of your TMIC and, in effect, your cooling more than you could ever reduce the underhood temps your way.

^DING DING DING.

There may be a tremendous volume of reasons why OP is a guy to laugh at instead of near but there are few that demand respect or beating sense into him.

Respect: Thanks for your service. Most of us do not have a problem telling the difference between policy MAKERS and those that actually follow though with policy. I have a problem with policy makers, not with our soldiers.

Beating sense into him: Way to go, you most likely actually did he opposite of what you intended to do. You reduced the effectiveness of your TMIC and, in effect, your cooling more than you could ever reduce the underhood temps your way.

1) Thank you

2) Jury's out on this

Yes, we've read those, they are the articles we were referring to in the other thread about hood scoops.

Is this your way of telling us that NOW you've read them, and before you hadn't? :rolleyes:

Archived