LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon---HOOD LOUVERS--Lots Of Pictures

SGT Daddy

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see doing a cowled look, like the Mustang guys do for the very reason of heat extraction (and to fit monster superchargers atop their engines). Done well this could potentially look good, and cost a fortune...

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cervinis-cobra-r-hood-01.jpg

Like most mods it comes down to the owner and what they want. I may be the only LGT to have them added to the hood. The older ones already had them or was that the older WRX's??? Now I must look it up and yes I know they were much different in appearance.

Car does have almost a 100,xxx on it and the louvers were painted this week. SO there might be a little difference. I am partially color blind so it matches to me. As to the "Why?" I have them on my Jeep and all the HWY driving I do they made a world of difference I have a muti-state trip in the near future to see how much a difference they make. on my Jeep it is Huge, so I have going for a little since these are a third the size that are on the jeep. That and I can say I am the only one.

Newsflash: Your legacy is not a Jeep, nor will it overheat like one :rolleyes:.

You can keep rationalizing the expense as some functional item, but at the end of the day, it's 100% just for show and serves no purpose other than looking "cool".....well, to you anyway. And just because you can feel heat coming out of the holes you just cut in your hood, doesn't mean they're actually doing anything beneficial.

We all have our own tastes, and that's fine, it's your car, but don't try and pass it off as having some benefit to your engine, because it really doesn't. It's more likely to cause problems with water than help anything.

Can't wait to see an ARB bumper with winch and hi lift jack mounted on the hood.

Is okay, jeep guys do it.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/RuskiSi/24933-lg.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/RuskiSi/arb.jpg

http://www.subaxtreme.com.au/images/large/OB-044-Prem-White-3.jpg

Newsflash: Your legacy is not a Jeep, nor will it overheat like one :rolleyes:.

You can keep rationalizing the expense as some functional item, but at the end of the day, it's 100% just for show and serves no purpose other than looking "cool".....well, to you anyway. And just because you can feel heat coming out of the holes you just cut in your hood, doesn't mean they're actually doing anything beneficial.

We all have our own tastes, and that's fine, it's your car, but don't try and pass it off as having some benefit to your engine, because it really doesn't. It's more likely to cause problems with water than help anything.

I see your point on it not being a jeep. Tastes are different from person to person so yes I agree again. As for having issues or problems from water not likely. I am more likely to have problems in the winter from having it lowered. For function it dose work and the cross section of cars that run these or very similar items has been proven to work. So just because you don think they do the physics behind them says other wise. Being that they are a smaller size they will do less then the larger ones. I never said they had huge or big gains. They have a small benefit and that's all I was going for when I put them on. If they did not work and were just for looks I would have gotten the very cheap plastic ones and used double side tape to stick them on.

For function it dose work and the cross section of cars that run these or very similar items has been proven to work. So just because you don think they do the physics behind them says other wise.

1) Make sense please

2) What is your definition of them working? Adding power? Preventing engine overheating? Because they will do none of these things on a legacy. You might as well have gone the plastic route and saved yourself some money.

1) Make sense please

2) What is your definition of them working? Adding power? Preventing engine overheating? Because they will do none of these things on a legacy. You might as well have gone the plastic route and saved yourself some money.

1) I mean that if Louvers did nothing then they would not be used to help reduce underhood temps. Which there are plenty of documented cases where they do just that. My LGT did not have an overheating problem, I wanted to keep it that way and to help the heat that builds in the engine bay on long trips escape faster. I have seen some people use them to "add" performance. By facing them forward to have air go directly on there air intake. Not sure if it dose or not. I have not seen before and after Dyno numbers.

2) On the next car I put them on I will do like I saw a guy do with his new challenger. Take temp reading on 3 different places in his engine bay before and after. The change that he saw was 10 degrees. His set up is different then mine same idea reduce underhood temps.

Louvers are and have been used for year on cars, trucks etc. to reduce underhood temps. If you do a little research you would see this.

a turbo heatshield and blanket wouldn't accomplished very noticable improvements in under hood temps, and wouldn't look hideous

A Turbo heat shield would have been a good idea. I never looked at a turbo wrap or blanket. So in the future I might. I know that the looks are not for everyone. So far the comments I have gotten from people who have seen my set up in person have liked it.

1) I mean that if Louvers did nothing then they would not be used to help reduce underhood temps. Which there are plenty of documented cases where they do just that. My LGT did not have an overheating problem, I wanted to keep it that way and to help the heat that builds in the engine bay on long trips escape faster. I have seen some people use them to "add" performance. By facing them forward to have air go directly on there air intake. Not sure if it dose or not. I have not seen before and after Dyno numbers.

2) On the next car I put them on I will do like I saw a guy do with his new challenger. Take temp reading on 3 different places in his engine bay before and after. The change that he saw was 10 degrees. His set up is different then mine same idea reduce underhood temps.

Louvers are and have been used for year on cars, trucks etc. to reduce underhood temps. If you do a little research you would see this.

I'm not saying louvers don't work or aren't necessary in the correct application (if you read what I was saying, you would see this), I'm saying they have no purpose on a legacy. They might do something on a truck, or a car with a big engine, like a challenger, but they don't on a Subaru Legacy. I can see you've already done the mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise, so I won't bother belaboring this point anymore.

Btw, lowering your underhood ambient temp by 10 degrees will not only have a negligible effect, but it also certainly doesn't justify cutting up your hood to look "teh hardcore". :rolleyes:

Archived