LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon---HOOD LOUVERS--Lots Of Pictures

SGT Daddy

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rice is non-functional items that do nothing. Kinda like go fast stickers.

All rice mods do SOMETHING. That huge wing on the back of a civic hatchback definitely changes the aerodynamic characteristics. Rice is involved when there is a modification made that is made to look like it improves performance but actually doesn't. Until you can prove that your louvers, which make sense in your head, are beneficial from a performance standpoint on your vehicle they are RICE.

Which is what we all just deduced hood louvers are on a turbocharged vehicle.

Also, nobody wants to read your stupid links that are all from the same pointless website.

I read all of his links. They are pretty stupid.

Rice is non-functional items that do nothing. Kinda like go fast stickers.

Rice is involved when there is a modification made that is made to look like it improves performance but actually doesn't...

...or even makes performance worse.

No one likes a liar.

I've had Gary Sinise as my avatar for years but your idiocy has warranted a change.

Joining the I-no-lovey-your-louver avatar club.

All rice mods do SOMETHING. That huge wing on the back of a civic hatchback definitely changes the aerodynamic characteristics. Rice is involved when there is a modification made that is made to look like it improves performance but actually doesn't. Until you can prove that your louvers, which make sense in your head, are beneficial from a performance standpoint on your vehicle they are RICE.

What you want me to go buy a temp gauge I can use under the hood take some reading with the louvered hood. Then take that hood off then put a non-louver hood on the take some more readings to compare. Is that what you want.?

Which is what we all just deduced hood louvers are on a turbocharged vehicle.

Also, nobody wants to read your stupid links that are all from the same pointless website.

I am glad you are so closed minded and set in your ways.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-YJ-Hood-Louver-p/13-51-010.htm

FeatureBenefit LouversAllow hot air to escape the engine compartment, keeping under-hood temperatures cooler. Improved airflow out of the engine bay also helps improve airflow into the engine bay, including through the radiator, helping your radiator and fan operate more efficiently.

Well at least we know you can read. I can also see that you have made up your mind about louver.
I don't think I've insulted you once in this thread so why don't you take that attitude and shove it?

The "articles" you linked *are* stupid and trying to use them to justify your claim that the louvers are a good performance modification for the LGT is ridiculous. Those "articles" are basically gigantic advertisements for the company that sells those louvers... nothing more. And they refer to cars that will specifically benefit from this. Police cars idle and barely move, of course these will help.

My position on this is pretty clear from my earlier post here:

When hood louvers will really help with your car:

• in traffic
  • offroading at very low speeds with heavy loads
  • ?????

When hood louvers won't help:

• anywhere else

It'll help with heatsoak of the TMIC in traffic. But that's really about it. I don't see how these would make any difference once you got the car moving and in fact, I think they might hurt. I'm fairly certain the engine bay cools off relatively quickly once the car gets moving at 25+ MPH so aside from those first few seconds of getting up to speed, the heatsoak shouldn't be too horrible.

As far as the appearance, I don't think it's god awful ugly. Just not something I would do to my car though.

If you feel like you idle in traffic a LOT and the heatsoak MUST be dealt with by pulling holes in your hood, that's your opinion. Every person is different. Maybe you've noticed where I'm from: NYC. I think I know a thing or two about traffic... And I can tell you that heatsoak does indeed suck. But I can also tell you two important things:

1) The effects of heatsoak disappear quickly once the car gets up to speed... around 20-25MPH. The intake cools off quickly, even in hot temperatures like what I saw today (90F).

And more importantly:

2) I have NEVER overheated even once, and it was about 100-105F just earlier this week. And I drive around with my AC on full auto set to 71F, windows shut, idling in heavy, heavy stop and go Manhattan traffic.

Never once have I even considered putting holes in my hood to alleviate the heatsoak problem.... because while that first or second pull you do right out from traffic when the IAT reads 130-150F really sucks, it cools down so quickly that you don't care.

So again, I admit that underhood temperatures maybe lowered when you're idling and stuck in traffic, but once you start moving, those holes may (and probably do) make things worse for your TMIC.

Oh, and just so you understand something:

Hot rod cars use large engines with more cylinders, and lots of displacement, and lots of power output.

Police cars are usually either v6 or v8 (definitely in the crown vic) engines.

Jeeps use larger engines, and you're also off roading them which makes the engine work harder. Also, if I'm not mistaken, stock they were driven by mechanical fans? So therefore, at low engine RPM, the mechanical fan runs at lower speed? I'm also assuming they use a thermal clutch so at best, at low speed, regardless of how hard the engine is working, it can only rotate at a 1:1 ratio with engine speed.

The above 3 situations are all not something your car is likely to deal with. You should remember also that your car is a 2.5L H4 turbocharged engine. It is MOST IMPORTANT to keep things cool when your turbocharger is making boost because THAT'S when things get really hot. And you're not going to make boost until you get up to speed where the effects of heatsoak are already dissipating.

So if anything, you should really, really be concerned with how well your TMIC is working, not heatsoaking in traffic.

Again, I don't think it's ugly. Just not something I'd do. If you like how it looks and you're happy with the results, screw everyone else. If this is just a cosmetic mod, then hey, I'm happy for you man. Haters will always hater... ignore them. But please don't try to claim it's a good performance modification without empirical evidence pertaining to YOUR car and YOUR setup.

I have a cosmetic mod. It's a Zero/Sports hood splitter. It looks nice... and it claims it's more efficient than the stock one. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe it's worse... I have no idea. I don't go around telling people it's a performance mod though. Last time I was at the LGT meet in NYC, someone noticed and pointed it out and I laughed. That definitely falls more into my $bling$ category of mods.

Oh, and just so you understand something:

Hot rod cars use large engines with more cylinders, and lots of displacement, and lots of power output.

Police cars are usually either v6 or v8 (definitely in the crown vic) engines.

Jeeps use larger engines, and you're also off roading them which makes the engine work harder. Also, if I'm not mistaken, stock they were driven by mechanical fans? So therefore, at low engine RPM, the mechanical fan runs at lower speed? I'm also assuming they use a thermal clutch so at best, at low speed, regardless of how hard the engine is working, it can only rotate at a 1:1 ratio with engine speed.

The above 3 situations are all not something your car is likely to deal with. You should remember also that your car is a 2.5L H4 turbocharged engine. It is MOST IMPORTANT to keep things cool when your turbocharger is making boost because THAT'S when things get really hot. And you're not going to make boost until you get up to speed where the effects of heatsoak are already dissipating.

So if anything, you should really, really be concerned with how well your TMIC is working, not heatsoaking in traffic.

1) I will apologize for my directed rudeness at you since you had not been that way with me.

2) I am currently looking at the "bullet Proof" upgrade for the TMIC. Which I found searching on this site. Yes I do know that my car is much small then the three cases that you listed.

Well, the BP mod isn't an upgrade really. It's reinforcement, so you don't leak or separate. I understand that you intend to keep your car for a long time, so it would be a good mod to do... things do break with age. Most people that have seen separation of the end tanks from the core are running higher than stock boost levels though so I wouldn't worry that much.

Well, the BP mod isn't an upgrade really. It's reinforcement, so you don't leak or separate. I understand that you intend to keep your car for a long time, so it would be a good mod to do... things do break with age. Most people that have seen separation of the end tanks from the core are running higher than stock boost levels though so I wouldn't worry that much.

That's what I was reading, they were running more boost. I was looking at it as a form of preventive maintenance. I already have 100,xxx on the car

Archived